Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Anyone try one of these 872 clones yet

5K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Waldens 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Rakuman

It doesn't include a battery, so the price isn't that good. There were also a number of reports that the genuine 872 had overheating issues, so it might be better to wait for the mj-856 clones.

You can find the genuine (it's funny saying that in relation to magicshine) mj-856 light head only for about $85.

Having said that I just picked up an 856 light head and I'd probably have chanced my arm on this if I'd known about it as the 808 clones I own have been fine.

Tim

#3 ·
Rakuman

It doesn't include a battery, so the price isn't that good. There were also a number of reports that the genuine 872 had overheating issues, so it might be better to wait for the mj-856 clones.

You can find the genuine (it's funny saying that in relation to magicshine) mj-856 light head only for about $85.

Having said that I just picked up an 856 light head and I'd probably have chanced my arm on this if I'd known about it as the 808 clones I own have been fine.

Tim
At $50 this is a killer price even if it only lasts a year I have a 872 and have had zero issues with overheating I just power down to medium on climbs in fact I just got back from my ride using a 872 and it was 83 deg out when we started our ride . I am on the fence on getting a Olympia to add to my collection but at this price I might pick up a couple of these and run 2 on the bars, right now I'm running a 872 and a 808e on my bars and another 808e on the helmet.

#4 ·
Yeah, I have a new GEO 6.0 battery just sitting around. This is a cheap way to use the battery.

Do any of you know if there is something like this w/ 3 XML T6's available at this price.

And what do you all think the actual out the front lumens really is.

And now it appears the XML T6 clones are $32 delivered. I know not good for light manufactures but great for consumers.

CREE XM-L T6 LED Cycling Bicycle Bike Light HeadLight headLamp | eBay

MB

#6 · (Edited)
And it seems it's $110 if you buy it with a battery and charger from the same place:

[USA] CYCLONE 1600 4*CREE XP-G BIKE LIGHT + MAGICSHINE SAMSUNG BATTERY mj-872 | eBay

Although they seem to have done a poor cut and paste job for part of the ad.

mb323323: that comes with a 2 cell battery, which is great if you want run it on your helmet. I see that the 3 LED versions are out there, but this doesn't show a price:

Cree XP-G R5 led bike light 3-Modes bike light LED BR8041 products, buy Cree XP-G R5 led bike light 3-Modes bike light LED BR8041 products from alibaba.com

Tim

#10 ·
I just have to make a comment. :)
I'm sure you'll get great customer service from someone who mostly sells sports memorabilia and Laptop covers and happens to get a hold of a few Magicshines and clones to make a little extra money.
MJ-872 lightheads on sale for $67.96 (the real thing with 1 year warranty) - discount code GEOMAN

#11 ·
We all know when your buying from ebay its the risk you take and must be willing to take, just like dealing with DX and china, you usually get what you pay for. By the way Action I dropped some dough with you last night so I could get the warranty and CS on a Olympia:thumbsup: looking forward to giving it a workout......

#12 ·
I picked up one of these as an experiment. The seller is now listing them as genuine Magicshine 872's, but I don't believe it. It's unbranded, and looks exactly like the "872 Clone" in Collen C's thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-riding/review-xeccon-spiker-1210-4-x-cree-xp-g-r5-813610.html

I'm using it with a Gemini 5200 mah battery pack. I'm running it as a helmet light. I have no idea about durability, but the light is great. Almost all of my riding is on singletrack. The 'semi-flood' nature of the light fits well there. It lights up the trail incredibly well and has enough throw to get me to the next turn on the trail. I've been running it on high on relatively slow, technical trails, with ambient temps in the 70 f range and have had no issues with over heating. It's warm to the touch, but that's it - no different than the Gemini P7 in similar situations. The light body itself is a bit smaller and lighter than the Gemini. I don't have solid run times yet, but it was in 'blue' range after I finished a 2 hour ride earlier this week. I'll try to get a real run time later this week.

Anyone else using one of these yet?

#14 ·
one of my riding buddies , got one,
put it on my power meter, 12.3W
my lux-bender, my guess ~1000 lumen .
not an MS, he did contact ebay seller,
no reply,...
they are using MS pictures to sell clones.
second look, has watery thermal-paste.
.... bottom line, would much rather, recommend an MS, then a clone,...

#17 ·
not an MS, he did contact ebay seller,
no reply,...
they are using MS pictures to sell clones.
I contacted the seller as well. He swore it was a real magicshine, with a 1 year warranty. Given that he was previously selling the light as a 'Cyclone' brand that 'isn't Magicshine' - he's either confused or dishonest.

However, assuming the light lasts, the longer run times fit my needs better than the 'real' 872.

#18 ·
I really don't see how it can be a real Magicshine claimed by the seller. Between the two, there are obvious difference. There is not Magischine label nor does it have the Patent label. The questionable clone has a 10.5" longer power cord, the driver draw less power, and there are extra machining cut on the housing of the clone. Still, the price is very hard to beat for a 1000+ lumens light head only.

#20 · (Edited)
Waldens,

You shouldn't be pitching your own product on this forum without identifying yourself. It is also against E-Bay listing practices to use the Magicshine brand name on a product that is not a Magicshine, in the title or in the listing. They will be pulling your listing soon.

Everyone else, I got one of these lights to see how they compare to the 872. Though the light looked very similar to the 872, when put on our beam test the light output was at least 1/3 below that of a real one.

#21 ·
Waldens,

You should be pitching your own product on this forum without identifying yourself. It is also against E-Bay listing practices to use the Magicshine brand name on a product that is not a Magicshine, in the title or in the listing. They will be pulling your listing soon.

Everyone else, I got one of these lights to see how they compare to the 872. Though the light looked very similar to the 872, when put on our beam test the light output was at least 1/3 below that of a real one.
Thank you. I will stop the listing soon.
We also tested Magicshine MJ872, it is only 900 measured lumens, so i didn't see they are much better quality than this clone lights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.