mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Anyone try this light?

Has anyone tried the 1200 Destroyer from Nitelights/deptofadventure.com? Or any other of their products, for that matter?

I'm toying with the idea of getting a light in $100+/- range. I'm also contemplating modifying my ancient NightRider Pro to use LED's - still need to figure out the specifics of this. I know this route probably wouldn't be the most cost effective, but I think it would be a cool excercise.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Update

I had contacted them via the e-mail/contact window on their website before I posted the above. Got no reply. Maybe it didn't take, or I made a typo in my e-mail address.

Sent them a message via my regular e-mail. Will see if I get a reply.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I think that company tried to spam this forum once. Don't bother, nothing special about their lights.

mtbr member
    Hi Bernhardt,

I realize that our lights are slightly above the price range you are trying to stick to but...with our Trade-In program we can very easily turn your old NR Pro (great light by the way) into a very modern LED system.

We give you a $100 credit towards any of our new Strykr II, Strykr SL, or Double Stryk light systems. I basically just email you the Trade-In form, you fill it out, you email it back, and once you receive your new 2012 Baja Designs (waterproof and lifetime warrantied) Strykr system you mail your old system to us - I am using the old parts to build an evil robot. (seriously)

Here's a link to our FB page: Baja Designs Bicycle Lighting - Local Business - San Marcos | Facebook

..and our website: Bajadesigns.com - The leader in Off-Road Motorcycle, Truck, and Buggy lighting and performance

My email is: Shannon@BajaDesigns.com

I will always respond to your emails, that's the way we roll at Baja Designs (or at least always try to).

Shannon

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by syadasti View Post
    Don't bother, nothing special about their lights.
    I figured that out. I was intrigued becuase they're based out of New Zealand. I've gotten products made in New Zealand and Australia before and have always been happy with the value recieved. In my experience the products are built to be rugged and reliable with no bs features. They never were cheap in any form. I was wondering what the deal was.

Turns out they were off for Christmas and New Years - I got a reply to each of my methods of communication. One heck of a holiday schedule they got there. Turns out the lights are made in China. Gotta ask yourself why buy a light that gets shipped to you from New Zealand when it's made in China. Oh well.

Shannon, I may take you up on that offer. Thing is, my Niterider is probably not the Pro you're thinking. IIRC NR called their dual light(12/20W total 32) light the Pro back in the mid nineties/late which is the vintage of this light. 12v NiCd battery pack - the weakest part of the system. IMO it died way too early, so I rebuilt it myself. Now that pack is dead - my fault for using acid flux on the batteries to solder them together - corrosion not use. Since the NR wasn't enough light, I made a 55w halogen light with a custom 2 water bottle high battery pack(lasted maybe an 40 min when the batteries were new) for use on downhill. That thing was heavy. I still have it somewhere.

mtbr member
    These lights appear to be one of the many magicshine copies. The company has an ad on this forum. The owner has posted here in the past and has never answered any questions on the light's specification.

If I was you I'd either buy the cheaper knock offs or go with one of the quality offerings like the Baja.

Tim

mtbr member
    Cool Bernhardt, let me know when/if you are ready.

Shannon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernhardt View Post
    .... I'm also contemplating modifying my ancient NightRider Pro to use LED's - still need to figure out the specifics of this. I know this route probably wouldn't be the most cost effective, but I think it would be a cool excercise.
    I would have to disagree. Unless the light-head is made of aluminum you have no way to heat sink an LED. You're better off just buying any of the available XM-L Chinese light sets ( $45 and up ) . You can easily buy two of these ( one for helmet one for bars ). If you need a wider beam pattern for the bars there are lenses you can buy to make that lamp more of a flood beam.

If you try to mount an LED into your old lamp it will likely overheat and be of little use. Not the kind of thing you want happening when out in the woods.

edit: After reading what you said about your old light sets you won't believe how much better a quality LED light set will be. Time to give up those old halogens

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    No kidding! Way more light - I know that. The housing on my old NR would get so hot you didn't want to touch it. I haven't done any night riding the last few years because everyone I knew/know who was willing to do so no longer lived anywhere near me(they moved, and I moved too), and night riding alone in remote areas is not exactly smart. I finally found some new suckers, er people willing to be adventerous.

When it comes to making old things keep working or work better, sometimes I just can't help myself. I remember the old farmer saying "I've had that ax for 40 yrs. I've replaced the handle 4 times and the head twice, but it's still the same ax."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernhardt View Post
    .... I remember the old farmer saying "I've had that ax for 40 yrs. I've replaced the handle 4 times and the head twice, but it's still the same ax."
    Yes, but if the new complete version of the new axe model cost less than half the cost of just one replacement piece ( axe head or handle ) of the old axe model, I doubt even a farmer would quibble about buying the new axe model. ( disclaimer: unless he was Amish of course ... ) ....Not to mention that the new axe is lighter and cuts wood like it was melted butter. ( analogy ended )

Not trying to put the Amish down, they're good people. However most modern farmers have chainsaws and gas powered log splitters while I sure the Amish are still hacking it out with the old axes and hand saws.

All things considered, unless those halogens were passed down to you from your Father and have great sentimental value it might be time to try something new....just saying.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The idea of modding the old lights is not to leave them halogen, but rather to see if I can put LED's in them and get it to work well(That means good light pattern/brightness w/ no reliability issues.).

mtbr member
    Here's a warning about the Nitelights distributer, Dept. of Adventure
    I ordered one of the Destroyer lights ($111 seemed like a good deal), got several emails listing the light as "Awaiting Shipment", after a few days I contacted Dept Of Adv. about an expected ship date - no response, after a few days I contacted them about canceling the order - no response, I opened a dispute w/PayPal and almost immediately got an email stating that my order status had been changed to "Refunded". Well, I haven't gotten that credit yet, STILL haven't gotten any responses from them and the damn order has been changed back to "Awaiting Shipment".
    Probably want to steer clear of these guys.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jocnc1 View Post
    Here's a warning about the Nitelights distributer, Dept. of Adventure
    I ordered one of the Destroyer lights ($111 seemed like a good deal), got several emails listing the light as "Awaiting Shipment", after a few days I contacted Dept Of Adv. about an expected ship date - no response, after a few days I contacted them about canceling the order - no response, I opened a dispute w/PayPal and almost immediately got an email stating that my order status had been changed to "Refunded". Well, I haven't gotten that credit yet, STILL haven't gotten any responses from them and the damn order has been changed back to "Awaiting Shipment".
    Probably want to steer clear of these guys.
    Nightmare!! Sorry to hear that JocNC1. I have had similar issues before - not in the bike industry though. Very frustrating situation. Good luck with everything!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDesignsShannon View Post
    Nightmare!! Sorry to hear that JocNC1. I have had similar issues before - not in the bike industry though. Very frustrating situation. Good luck with everything!
    about an hour after escalating the PayPal "complaint" to a "claim" I got the following email, of course the Dept of Adv site still lists the order as "Awaiting Shipment". I have the screenshots from all the messages I sent them through the contact form on their site. This is BS...

Hi John,
    Apologies for the delay in getting back to you , but I have to say there are no msgs showing from you on big commerce .
    We also stated on the website under the 1200 light that there would be no shipping between the 16th and 30th Jan. this was due to holidays here in NZ and our business relocating.
    Your light has been sent on the 30th by our manufacturer and he has advised us he cannot stop the shipment now.
    We would appreciate it if you could remove your paypal dispute.
    Regards
    Joanne Travers
    Dept Of Adventure Limited

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jocnc1 View Post
    This is BS...

no shipping between the 16th and 30th Jan. this was due to holidays here in NZ and our business relocating.
    Theres only a one day holiday in NZ over those dates.
    I think chinese new year is thereabouts though.

Personally, I'd be wary about ordering an XML light that claims 20% more runtime than possible. Also note the "reviews" are all posted in two batches.
    Sellers (and family) history includes misrepresenting his lights using MTBR beamshots from different products, as well as these gems.
    Price fixing.
    Generally dodgyness.

Be careful kids.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    yeah, I'm a bit resourceful for not using more of the MTBR resources, I saw all this after I ordered...
    It could obviously be worse - I could have bought a Silver Tiger

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Let us know if it arrives, and what you think of the product if it does arrive. Sorry Shannon, I couldn't quite swing one of yours though I put you on my recommended list for a friend of mine. I went with a Titan from action, and am tinkering with my old beast because I just can't help myself.

mtbr member
    PayPal wrapped up their investigation and refunded my $!
    Dept of Adv has (again) updated the order to refunded, so I guess it was bs that;
    "Your light has been sent on the 30th by our manufacturer and he has advised us he cannot stop the shipment now"