mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Anyone tried Dinotte 800L+ Long Throw?

Dinotte have recommended this light for fast road riding. I just wondered if anyone had used it, or had any beam shots. I have a 400L so would be interested to hear how it compared in terms of throw, width, colour. etc. Also, any other comparisons (with 1200L+ etc) would be useful.

Thanks

David

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    DiNotte has a beam shot of each version here:

800L+ standard
    http://www.dinottelighting.com/photographyb.htm

800L+ long throw
    http://www.dinottelighting.com/photographyc.htm

1200L+
    http://www.dinottelighting.com/photography9.htm

I have the 800L+ standard version, which is OK for commuting and would be great for MTB'ing, but I can see how someone who rides fast on the road would benefit from the long throw 800L+. The standard version actually projects very well, but the intensity isn't quite there beyond 30 feet or so. These are all great lights for the money.

Dave

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks very much for that, Dave. I hadn’t seen those beam shots before. Although there’s less breadth to the beam, from those pictures it certainly looks to be better for picking out corners long before you get to them.

Do you think it would be annoying to oncoming traffic when aimed as in that picture?

It does seem good value, even though I’m in the UK. I’ve already got a Dinotte 4 cell battery and charger, so I could get away with just buying the lamp head. Dinotte service is also very good, although being in a different country makes it a bit of a hassle.

However, I’d still like to know if there are any other lights on the market which would do the same sort of thing. All the LED lights I’ve so far have a kind of diffused look to them which gives a wash of light, but they don’t project very well. I was wondering about splashing out on a Lupine Betty or something, but I get the impression that Lupines are relatively unreliable, and expensive to repair.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by deejayen
    Do you think it would be annoying to oncoming traffic when aimed as in that picture?

However, Iíd still like to know if there are any other lights on the market which would do the same sort of thing. All the LED lights Iíve so far have a kind of diffused look to them which gives a wash of light, but they donít project very well. I was wondering about splashing out on a Lupine Betty or something, but I get the impression that Lupines are relatively unreliable, and expensive to repair.
    Ha - YES! I was quite surprised at the reactions from on-coming cars, bikers, pedestrians, etc. But in some ways, the more focused beam of the long throw version should actually keep it out of the eyes of on-coming cars, except on narrow roads or curves. For on-coming bikers or pedestrians on the same side of the street, or on bike paths, even the medium setting is too bright, so I always dim to low. On the road, I just leave it on high because I figure I need all the help I can get.

I think the Lupine outputs & light quality are indeed quite nice, but they are priced rather high. NiteRiders also suffer from high price-to-lumen ratios, and their light output (and lumen claims) seem to vary from model-to-model. The Modern Bike website has a lot of light comparisons, and CygoLite's look like nice beams. Light & Motion's Seca 700 is a nice light, and I used to get blinded by one almost every morning from an fellow commuter (until I hit him with my 800L and he suddenly found his dimmer switch).

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks very much for that, Dave. I hadnít seen those beam shots before. Although thereís less breadth to the beam, from those pictures it certainly looks to be better for picking out corners long before you get to them.

It does seem good value, even though Iím in the UK. Iíve already got a Dinotte 4 cell battery and charger, so I could get away with just buying the lamp head. Dinotte service is also very good, although being in a different country makes it a bit of a hassle.

However, Iíd still like to know if there are any other lights on the market which would do the same sort of thing. All the LED lights Iíve so far have a kind of diffused look to them which gives a wash of light, but they donít project very well. I was wondering about splashing out on a Lupine Betty or something, but I get the impression that Lupines are relatively unreliable, and expensive to repair.
    Hi deejayen,,first recolection of someone complaining about the Lupine reliability,and yes i would have to guess that repairs outside the warrenty on an expensive unit could be costly,but that would be the same for L&M or NR,even CygoLite .Knock on wood here,as my Lupines have worked flawlessly for me now around nine months in about as crappy of weather conditions you would dare ride in.And of coarse many endo's. Just ordered my 22 degree lens,and mount for my Betty as the feedback from the other posts have been so positive i couldn't resist anymore.A little bias here,but if you can fit a Lupine in your budget,it's going to blow you away in shear output for the size and weight. If you don't mind a narrower beam,the XPG Wilma has stupid amounts of throw,i think in my case a little more even than the Betty,and would save you a few hundred $$. If you don't mind a larger unit the Night Nemissis claims even more output than the Lupine Betty and is less expensive.Only complaint in testing was that it was a bit clunky.But very good output. Havent heard anything yet about the new CygoLite Senauri 1000. If it is as good as the Triden X is,with almost double the output,this also would be worth a look.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks, Indebt & dpvwia.

I didn’t mean to imply that Lupines are badly built or anything – I know they’re supposed to be top-notch in terms of design and overall build quality. Indeed, I’ve always coveted the ‘Charger One’! However, over the years I’ve heard stories of various breakdowns – you only have to look on the Lupine forum to see that they’re not always without problems, although probably a tiny percentage of the units sold succumb to the gremlins. Also, some complaints have been directed toward the middlemen rather than at Lupine themselves. Anyway, I’ll look into the Wilma XPG, and the other alternatives you mentioned. The beam shot of the Seca 1400 posted by Francois is also impressive.

The Dinotte is still tempting because I’ve had good service from them in the past, and they’re pretty flexible and accommodating on trade-ins and upgrades. It’s also by far the cheapest to buy, especially as I already have a battery and charger. However, I’d buy into the Lupine system if I thought it was worth it. Ideally, I’d be able to see the lights in action for myself, but there are no dealers near me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Every product out there reguardless of price will have a glitch here and there,that's for sure. It blows me away that there are so many high quality lighting systems available that stand up to the crap we put them through.Great times we live in!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks, Indebt & dpvwia.
    The Dinotte is still tempting because Iíve had good service from them in the past, and theyíre pretty flexible and accommodating on trade-ins and upgrades. Itís also by far the cheapest to buy, especially as I already have a battery and charger. However, Iíd buy into the Lupine system if I thought it was worth it. Ideally, Iíd be able to see the lights in action for myself, but there are no dealers near me.
    Good point - that was another thing that attracted me to DiNotte - just browsing through their website, you can find lots of stuff for older systems, including upgrades. This is almost unheard of nowadays, when manufacturers just want you to buy the next model.

But deejaven is right - there are so many great LED systems out there. The coolest part, to me, is that now being able to ride safely in the dark means I'm riding more and more, and looking forward to it!