mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Anyone else had incredibly bad experience with L&M customer service?

I recently had a burned out ARC Li-Ion HID light head replaced for a Seca 700, at a quoted cost of $150. L&M says the cost to replace the bulb is $150 (holy cow!), or same cost to exchange light head for a SECA 700. And like others on here have reported, L&M somehow was able to diagnose the problem via an email exchange.

I did the exchange, but the entire experience was bad, bad, bad:

• In an email exchange L&M said five day turn around time. It took five & 1/2 weeks.
    • They said cost would be $150. But they charged my cc $166, with no details stating why the extra $16 was charged. On the receipt they sent, it just shows one line item for the total $166.
    • They will not deal with a consumer directly, you have to take the light head to a LBS who is also a L&M dealer.
    • I found an LBS L&M dealer. LBS called up and found out how it worked. LBS said, you pay us the $150 when the exchange unit arrives back here with us.
    • Into the 3rd and 4th week, I pestered the LBS to call L&M and find out what's going ("they told me five day turn around..."). LBS says almost impossible to talk to a live person, and messages were not being returned. Getting through took up several days in the fourth week.
    • When LBS does finally get someone, LBS is told by L&M 'we haven't shipped unit out because we're waiting on customer's credit card info so we can charge the $150 fee.'
    • LBS calls me, asks for CC info, so they can relay it to L&M. Evidently more phone/voicemail tag happens. I'm naturally hesitant to do this, but want a working light after four weeks.
    • LBS contacts me to specifically say unit has shipped. Five days later I get another call to come in and pick it up.
    • The final complication is I have receipt paper work from LBS that says I owe them $150 for light when it arrives. Technician who set it all up, and later contacted L&M with my CC info, is off on a few days vacation. People I dealt with in LBS when picking up thought I was trying to walk out the door without paying.

The dealings with L&M had multiple points of failure -- five day turn around, quoted cost, explanation to LBS of how payment was to happen, inability to talk to a live human being (per LBS) -- so realistically you cannot believe this is one thing that randomly went wrong, it was three or four problems.

Anyone else observe this?

ouch....
    Wow that stinks...sorry to hear the issues!
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    customer support is average - i had to return a vis 180 after 2 weeks and they wanted to charge me before shipping a replacement.

also they don't want to talk to the end users (customers), and the LBS shop's don't have the technical info that some of us may ask

also - long cords are out...

mtbr member
    Hey XCoalMiner, hopefully by now everything is all squared away between your LBS/L&M.

If you are ever in the market for a light system again (I'd imagine you are burnt out on dealing with lights at the moment) we do have a $100 trade-in deal on our Strykr/Strykr Pro 700 lumen systems. You'd end up paying $198.95 for the Strykr and $244.95 for the Strykr Pro after the trade-in, your old system does not need to be working and you don't need to send the system in until you receive your new Strykr.

Of particular note for you might be that we warranty our light heads and all electronics for life for the original owner, our batteries have a two year warranty on them, and as far as contact with our company, there is rarely a day that goes by (unless I am training with my National Guard unit) that I don't check my work phone and email.

I know that doesn't help you in your current situation, I cringe when I read things like that. Anyway, let me know if there is ever anything we can do for you. (shannon@bajadesigns.com)

Shannon