I recently had a burned out ARC Li-Ion HID light head replaced for a Seca 700, at a quoted cost of $150. L&M says the cost to replace the bulb is $150 (holy cow!), or same cost to exchange light head for a SECA 700. And like others on here have reported, L&M somehow was able to diagnose the problem via an email exchange.
I did the exchange, but the entire experience was bad, bad, bad:
- In an email exchange L&M said five day turn around time. It took five & 1/2 weeks.
- They said cost would be $150. But they charged my cc $166, with no details stating why the extra $16 was charged. On the receipt they sent, it just shows one line item for the total $166.
- They will not deal with a consumer directly, you have to take the light head to a LBS who is also a L&M dealer.
- I found an LBS L&M dealer. LBS called up and found out how it worked. LBS said, you pay us the $150 when the exchange unit arrives back here with us.
- Into the 3rd and 4th week, I pestered the LBS to call L&M and find out what's going ("they told me five day turn around..."). LBS says almost impossible to talk to a live person, and messages were not being returned. Getting through took up several days in the fourth week.
- When LBS does finally get someone, LBS is told by L&M 'we haven't shipped unit out because we're waiting on customer's credit card info so we can charge the $150 fee.'
- LBS calls me, asks for CC info, so they can relay it to L&M. Evidently more phone/voicemail tag happens. I'm naturally hesitant to do this, but want a working light after four weeks.
- LBS contacts me to specifically say unit has shipped. Five days later I get another call to come in and pick it up.
- The final complication is I have receipt paper work from LBS that says I owe them $150 for light when it arrives. Technician who set it all up, and later contacted L&M with my CC info, is off on a few days vacation. People I dealt with in LBS when picking up thought I was trying to walk out the door without paying.
The dealings with L&M had multiple points of failure -- five day turn around, quoted cost, explanation to LBS of how payment was to happen, inability to talk to a live human being (per LBS) -- so realistically you cannot believe this is one thing that randomly went wrong, it was three or four problems.
Anyone else observe this?
Results 1 to 4 of 4