mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Any luck on Amazon?

Anyone have any luck buying lights off Amazon? I have a gift cert and thought I might pick up a cheap light for $20-$30. I already have a decent Chinashine single XML light with the orange peel reflector. I was thinking about picking up something similar for the bars, but between all the different models and the different vendors offering the "same" thing, I'm having a hard time determining that the item I order is the one I'm going to get. These lights are kind of a crapshoot anyway, but Amazon is extra confusing.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I bought this one from Amazon and it has been great for the price:

Amazon.com: 3x CREE XML T6 LED Bicycle Headlight 4 Modes 3800 Lumens + battery + charger: Sports & Outdoors

I ended up buying a different battery because the stock one would die after about 1.5 hours but the light itself is great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I have a couple of these, Amazon.com: CREE XML XM-L T6 LED Bike Bicycle Light HeadLight HeadLamp 1200LM Gold: Sports & Outdoors

Paired with this lens on the bar mounted light, Amazon.com: Wide Angle Lens for MagicShine, Gemini, and many other Bike Lights / Headlight: Sports & Outdoors

Not many complaints for a full setup under $60. Light is a little cold looking, but I can see the trail and then some no problem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Did you guys the exact lights listed? I guess the whole multiple sellers part is throwing me for a loop. A few lights list warranties, but I don't know if there's any hope of them honoring it or if Amazon will hold them accountable.

I was going to go with a setup like musikron's above, but the 3x XML seems it would be decent if I could find one that was somewhat reliable (especially in terms of a battery).

mtbr member

My Good Experiences

Here are some Amazon lights in action last night
    Any luck on Amazon?-night.jpg
    2 MagicShine 808's on the helmet, one with the wide lens)
    1 MagicShine 816 on the bars

All almost 3 years old. Sorry I cant remember the vendors...
    When they were new I was getting almost 3 hours on high during summer
    Last night I got almost 2 hours in 35 degree weather with the stock 4400mAh packs
    Last edited by arphaxhad; 12-13-2013 at 02:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I posted links to the vendors I used. I got two lights, one for the bars and one for the helmet, and the extra lens (you will want that), two battery packs and two chargers for less than $60 shipped, don't remember what I paid. They even came with headbands and mounting rings. I have used them about 24 times so far with no issues. I even use one sometimes as a headlamp around the house, though the battery pack is a little cumbersome then. They run on high for about 2 hours, and low about 4. Between the two lights I have more light time than stamina. Just in case I carry a flashlight in my bag that can be mounted to the handle bar to get me back to the car or used for repair.
    I'll try to take a pic tonight of the light they throw out in the back yard, for my money I'm pretty damned happy, I'm riding at night for less than a bill!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks guys. This was helpful.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Man...just as I was getting ready to order, my budget increased after Christmas. Now I'm looking to spend around $100 for a good handlebar light with decent flood. I was going to get another clone, but now a few more options are available. Not getting anywhere. Thought about a Niterider 700, but the advertised battery time isn't fantastic, although probably enough for me. Then I started looking at lights like the Fluxient 4xR5 and the Lumintrail TB-1600, but I'm not sure they'd be any better than the clones. Anyone have suggestions (doesn't have to be on Amazon)?

EDIT: For use on wooded and often twisty trails. Not commuting.