mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Another reason to use quality batteries

mtbr member
    This would never happen if they were using those special 0mAhr cells from gearbest.

Seriously though this is more likely a problem with the flashlight shorting the battery.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Yep, an extremely bizarre story. Not sure if he was using rechargeable Li-ion or standard Lithium type CR123 type batteries but regardless having something like this happen is like being hit with a meteorite in the groin.

I figure two possible scenario's; Somehow one of the cells was damaged somewhere along the line and chose that moment to explode or while he was using the flashlight somehow his saliva managed to get inside the flashlight and actually shorted out the cells. I'm prone to believe it was the "damaged bad cell" scenario that was the most likely to happen.

This story kind of caught my attention because I tend to hold my small torch in my mouth ( on occasion ) when I need to use both hands while working. Of course the torch I generally use is using only a single AA battery. Lately I haven't been doing this so much as the new torch I use is using a clip that can be clipped to my hat. Then again that means it is sitting very close to my eyes.
    Makes me think this could be one of those, "You'll shoot your eyes out kid", situations.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    In the picture they show rcr123's so if those are indeed the batteries looks like they were rechargeable. If not it's even freakier

mtbr member
    From he horses mouth over on CPF:
    Solarforce Explosion

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post
    From he horses mouth over on CPF:
    Solarforce Explosion
    Seems he was using rechargeable Tenergy LiFePO4 RCR123's. The comment he added later said he was using the supplied charger. If he wasn't using a charger specific for LiFePO4 then the cells could of been over-charged. Tenergy does make a two-bay charger for RCR123 LiFePO4 cells. Of course if the charger malfunctioned...anyway, it was already suggested that he do away with the charger just in case something was not right with it. It's possible I suppose for the voltage cutoff sensing circuit to malfunction and fail to cutoff the voltage at 3.8 volts ( per requirement ). Then again if he was using the wrong type of charger ( for standard Li-ion ) the cells were being over-charged.

I've had single cell chargers go up before. It happens. It's conceivable that a power surge could of caused a silicone chip within the charger that senses the charge voltage to malfunction and hence cause the cells to overcharge. Eventually this could cause the batteries used to malfunction overtime and perhaps this might eventually cause a cell to explode.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    All this talk of bad batteries has been making me antsy. Think I'll start charging mine in the car rather than the house so at least if they go up nobody gets hurt and i get a new car out of the deal

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manbeer View Post
    All this talk of bad batteries has been making me antsy. Think I'll start charging mine in the car rather than the house so at least if they go up nobody gets hurt and i get a new car out of the deal
    No, no...you forgot to put the mountain bike in the back seat. Car goes up with bike, you get new car and new bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    This is strange. Usually the problem with cells like this is when you are recharging them and not so much when you discharging them.

J.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    No, no...you forgot to put the mountain bike in the back seat. Car goes up with bike, you get new car and new bike.
    Well the thought of a nice mountain bike getting destroyed pains me... guess I'll have to load up my road bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    This is strange. Usually the problem with cells like this is when you are recharging them and not so much when you discharging them.

J.
    Yes, strange indeed. At least he still has the torch, charger and cells. A good lawyer will find a way to have the articles put through forensic analysis to find the cause. Could be that both Tenergy and or Solarforce and going to find themselves with a law suit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post

J.
    There are a few exploding torch threads on CPF.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights