Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uiflorin View Post
    There is a saying: "I am too poor to afford cheap things".

The fancy external design is absolutely useless if the casing in itself is nothing more than an extruded aluminum profile that holds the rest inside by screws. Mounting the LEDs on a piece of aluminum fitting the casing by some thermal paste will not make the case a good heat-sink. The leds will burn and the case will be worm, what a good design! That's what I see on these cheap lights from the fancy pictures. All those fins are useless if the thermal resistance from led to ambient is not in the range of 4 deg C/Watt for a dual led design (16watt max heat from 20Watt input power), meaning the case is not actually CNC machined and the leds do not sit on a solid 6-8 mm aluminum wall in the middle of the case. Ok, for cost purposes they cannot afford CNC machined casing, but at least the thermal resistance could be improved by press fitting inside the aluminum profile a solid piece of aluminum (solid wall) to screw the leds on. No grease, just PRESS FIT to have a good contact and not removable by user. This way the entire thing is close to a CNC machined case.

I work in the electronics industry and I have a fully equipped lab with lathe and CNC machine that I can use for private projects, but it's not worth the effort to modify these lights. Well cooled leds will be more efficient and the lumen output will vary just slightly from start to thermal equilibrium in max output mode. So, why should I buy a cheap light to spend then 3-4 hours for modification that can only improve marginally the performance?

Look at Gloworm X2, it's a solid piece of aluminum with some room for leds in front and fins made from side to side. It's worth the price, because it's designed well.

If some of you have the lights, please open them and post pictures with the casing, how the leds are in contact with the fancy casing.
    Sorry, this is not the forum thread for Space Shuttle design. This is the forum thread for $40 to $50 Chinese bike lights. If you want state of the art thermal and electrical engineering you look elsewhere. That said, some of these lamps are made a little better than the others and this is what most people want to know about. That is why we talk about this stuff. Few people though are going to dismantle the lamp they just bought just so they can check out it's thermal properties. It needs to be said though that just because one lamp has design flaws doesn't mean they all have the same design flaw.

Most people who buy the Chinese lamps just want something that works and is bright enough to make their night time adventures more pleasant. If the lamp gives them a couple years of use without any problems they will be as happy as the kid that just got his first bike. Two years down the road they will likely buy the newer upgraded model, and so it goes. If the lamp they buy doesn't provide the best thermal transfer properties THEY are going to accept that fact if they don't have the money, skill or tools to either buy a better product or engineer one of their own.

In the mean time fools like me will buy the stuff and continue to giggle over how nice it is to buy something that is about 20% the cost of the higher end products and *works almost just as well.( * referring to actual light output )

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Actually uiflorin is absolutely correct - good case with good thermal management is very important. Thats why we have this forum and why we post reviews and pics of our lights, so others can choose a good light based on our experience.

Anyway i got this light. First impressions - very small, almost the same size as D99. Case is CNC-machined, leds are mounted with thermal glue on thick aluminium wall, no problems with thermal transfer here. And it uses XM-L2 leds with white board.
    Now the bad news - driver is very small and not very powerful, it draws only 1A from external PSU at 8.4V at high, thats the lowest current draw from all 2XML lights. And I'm not sure if driver can be modified for higher power. I'll post pics of the case/driver in a few days.

http://imgur.com/a/MmiQP - here are the comparison pics of all my 2XML lights, with D88 as a bonus

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kir View Post
    ....Anyway i got this light. First impressions - very small, almost the same size as D99. Case is CNC-machined, leds are mounted with thermal glue on thick aluminium wall, no problems with thermal transfer here. And it uses XM-L2 leds with white board.
    Now the bad news - driver is very small and not very powerful, it draws only 1A from external PSU at 8.4V at high, thats the lowest current draw from all 2XML lights. And I'm not sure if driver can be modified for higher power. I'll post pics of the case/driver in a few days.
    Is this the XM-L2 lamp with the wired remote? If the lamp is only supplying 1A to the emitters that would be disappointing. How does the output compare to the other duel emitter lamps you have? Last question, is the driver in the remote casing or inside the lamp casing? I only ask this because the lamp company Xeccon uses a very similar remote casing that houses the driver for their Geinea series of lamps. As such I thought maybe the drivers are in the remote. If so that would explain why the driver output is so low. Dang it! I was considering buying one of these. No sense in doing that if they are only pushing 1A.

mtbr member
    Can you get the solarstorm sx as a light head only? I was looking, but couldn't find it. I did find a good deal from alliexpress though($40.50 shipped) for light, battery, charger.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ironbrewer View Post
    Can you get the solarstorm sx as a light head only? I was looking, but couldn't find it. I did find a good deal from alliexpress though($40.50 shipped) for light, battery, charger.
    That's a good price, do you have the link? I didn't think anyone was going to under-price Fasttech ( $46.48 )

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Last edited by goatman; 07-08-2013 at 03:29 AM.
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Is this the XM-L2 lamp with the wired remote? If the lamp is only supplying 1A to the emitters that would be disappointing. How does the output compare to the other duel emitter lamps you have? Last question, is the driver in the remote casing or inside the lamp casing? I only ask this because the lamp company Xeccon uses a very similar remote casing that houses the driver for their Geinea series of lamps. As such I thought maybe the drivers are in the remote. If so that would explain why the driver output is so low. Dang it! I was considering buying one of these. No sense in doing that if they are only pushing 1A.
    https://www.fasttech.com/product/1360704 - its this one.
    Current on leds will be higher than 1A, probably about 1.5-1.6A on 2 leds in series.

Compared to other dual lights, here is a current draw from external PSU at 8.4V, all lights at maximum mode:
    TrustFire TR-D002 - 1A
    D99 - 1.3A
    D-50 - 1.4A
    Solarstorm X2 - 2A

For me it looks like the same output as D99, D-50 and especially SolarStorm X2 are noticably brighter.
    Driver is splitted - PWM controller and voltage indicator (4 stage indicator btw, blue-green-yellow-red) are in the button, power board is in the casing. Thats the typical contruction for lights with external button like MJ-816.

And no, its not a bad light at all. Its small, uses XM-L2 leds, has external button (!). Light output could be higher, but it should be bright enough for most ppl.
    I'll post detailed pics and measure current on leds soon, gotta measure the battery capacity too.

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    36.84 if you use coupon from "sale items" page in the store. But lets keep SSX2 discussion in another thread.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I agree with uiflorin as well. I own one decent bike light, ie the Shadow BL-21 and love it simply because the LED star is epoxied to the body of the light and not in a separate pill like other lights.

Kir, does the SolarStorm X2 have a CNC machined body too? From the pics on fasttech, it looks like it uses pills. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Paid for my Solarstorm July 8th,

Shipped on July 11th,

Received on July 22nd in Colorado.

It's much smaller than I thought it would be. I like the UI. The beam pattern looks like it might be a bit too spotty, but I'll see when I can get it on the trail.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Can anyone say weather the X2 has a pill or has the LED star epoxied to the body? Thanks.

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    X2 has pills for leds like D-50. And leds on 16mm (or maybe 14mm) stars and thermal paste.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Kir, can you take pics? I"m dissapointed. Honestly the more focused beam of the X2 is what I wanted but I refuse to buy another bike light with a pill Thanks.

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Disappointed? Why? Pills design can be good, in solarstorm X2 pills are press-fitted into the case so thermal transfer is good. And you can easily replace the leds, unlike TR-D002 where leds stars are glued into case.

http://i.imgur.com/YvdrzuU.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/0qlwWx0.jpg
    Pics here, thats the original SS X2 (clones use another driver). And yes, its called Black Shadow Mantis 5954

mtbr member
    May 2006
    So in your opinion, there is good thermal transfer from LED-Pill-body?

By ANY SLIM CHANCE, the handlebar mount part that screws into the light, have you seen it selling seperately ANYWHERE? I've searched FT, DX, KD, IO and haven't found it. The Shadow BL-21 has a different attachment that 1) doesn't fit oversized handlebars and 2) can not be mounted to a headband and if I get this, I can have a true 700 lumen headlight! Thanks for the pics!

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    I think yes, case heats up fast, pills are fitted into case with metal-to-metal contact surface, case has fins for cooling. At least it much, much better than D-99.

Action-LED-Lights ? Accessories - Everything Else - mounts are available here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kir View Post

Can you explain in what way is this "bad news"? Does it affect reliability, brightness, power etc?

Action sells the MJ-872 light head for $40. Don't need charger/battery, but want 1000-1200 real lumens or better. Which is the better deal?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pigmode View Post

Action sells the MJ-872 light head for $40. Don't need charger/battery, but want 1000-1200 real lumens or better. Which is the better deal?
    I just looked at the action led page based on your post and I think you may have misread the chart. Just the lighthead is $85. $40 would be a steal.

mtbr member
    Ahh, better off getting a good cheapie, or possible the Olympia.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    SWEET! Thanks for the link!

mtbr member
    Ordered the Solarstorm X2 2fer deal from Ali for $34.xx, free shipping. We'll see how it goes.

mtbr member
    What t2er deal. I think you will recieve 1 light set, but the light has 2 LEDs in it.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pigmode View Post
    Ordered the Solarstorm X2 2fer deal from Ali for $34.xx, free shipping. We'll see how it goes.
    Link?
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast