mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Another new clone bit different

Another MS clone but this light head is a bit different, seems to have a few more cooling fins.

45 bucks shipped.

CREE XML X-ML T6 LED 1800 Lm Bike Bicycle Light HeadLight headLamp BAK battery | eBay

Do you all think the battery is really a 6400 mah as advertised. Also advertises 1800 lumens which is of course not true.

Just an FYI.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I suspect that the mah rating of the battery is about as acurate as the lumen rating of the light.

Thanks for the laugh though

Site Newbie
    May 2012
    I'm new to the site and I'm in the market to buy a decent bike light. I want to start a new thread, but forum won't let me? Anyways - I've been doing my research and would like some advice. I'm looking at MagicShine, The new Glowworm (which looks awesome) and maybe BikeRay. My price range is under 200 but the glowworm looks like a winner at 205 or so.

But I've come across these clones for mad cheap. It seems almost to good to be true? Are these defective lights? For example - I play golf and love the best golf balls out there - But they are expensive - so I buy blemished ones for cheaper on E-bay or sometimes at my local pro shop when they get some. I also work on a manufacturing line and know that our products are randomly checked for defects - either blemishes or technical defeats. I also know that some people take these products and sell them on ebay to make a little extra money on the side. I was looking at the SPEED II clone images from Kat-Man and noticed that their are no serial numbers on the pictures and it looks like the cord is coming out the front of the light. Has anyone bought one of these clone lights? Are there any noticeable atheistic defects? Is the cord really coming out the front of the light or is that just a photo? Please advise....

Thanks,

Sawn

Web Director
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike_Enthus View Post
    I'm new to the site and I'm in the market to buy a decent bike light. I want to start a new thread, but forum won't let me? Anyways - I've been doing my research and would like some advice. I'm looking at MagicShine, The new Glowworm (which looks awesome) and maybe BikeRay. My price range is under 200 but the glowworm looks like a winner at 205 or so.

But I've come across these clones for mad cheap. It seems almost to good to be true? Are these defective lights? For example - I play golf and love the best golf balls out there - But they are expensive - so I buy blemished ones for cheaper on E-bay or sometimes at my local pro shop when they get some. I also work on a manufacturing line and know that our products are randomly checked for defects - either blemishes or technical defeats. I also know that some people take these products and sell them on ebay to make a little extra money on the side. I was looking at the SPEED II clone images from Kat-Man and noticed that their are no serial numbers on the pictures and it looks like the cord is coming out the front of the light. Has anyone bought one of these clone lights? Are there any noticeable atheistic defects? Is the cord really coming out the front of the light or is that just a photo? Please advise....

Thanks,

Sawn
    Greetings Sawn,

No matter what company you decide to buy a light from - I encourage you to stick to reputable dealers and not drop shipped clones from China.

Attached is what the clone that Cat-Man-Do showed here: Introducing the New SPEED II looks like. The connector does come out of the front.

Here is why these clone lights (specifically our look a likes) are so cheap:

1. Cheap Battery Pack
    2. The yellow tip connector you see on Cat-Man-Do's post is made by a company that is not listed as a business in China.
    3. They use fake Cree LEDs
    4. Mounting pad is cheap and will tear at your handlebar
    5. It is impossible to be able to sell these lights at this cost without lowing the quality of the components and have DX take their cut - the distributors cut and the manufactor's cut. Bar-none.

Xeccon use to make this type of light before we decided to work with them. Then - the clone wars started with their light being copied. We have made many mods that have far surpassed Xeccon's original design.

This was an email to our owner in regards to others trying to get in contact with Xeccon to produce our light with cheaper components.

Subject: Re: The third-party Customer
    Date: 23.05.2012 07:12
    To: Patrick Choi

Patrick,

If Gary or further customers contact you for S11, S12 or S14, I would like you to persuade them to focus on SPEED series and further cheaper / high lumens lights,
    cuz S11, S12 or S14 are our old items and are similar to so many items in the market, we don't have good advantage....
    and can't meet their target price unless we follow their same poor precedures and components as others. We will replace them by further new design step by step....
    that's why to pay much time on new light research this year... don't want to follow other any more....we appreciate your business principle more and more!!!

Kindly note,

Katty
    I hope this helps explain to some extent about cloned lights.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another new clone bit different-img_20120523_134806.jpg  

Another new clone bit different-img_20120523_134813.jpg  

Another new clone bit different-img_20120523_134822.jpg  

Site Newbie
    May 2012
    Thanks for the reply. Was kinda hoping someone other then a actual company would comment. No offense.

I'm looking for a good light that I can see down a paved trail and commuting for work on the roads. I'm not a serious mountain bike rider but use the paved trails for riding with my family. I need a good throw light. Could anyone other than a bike light company provide their input on what they use and like in regards to how I would light to use a bike light?

Thanks,

Sawn

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Check out the bike light shootout, and just keep yourself safe by not riding with only one light.
    There isnt much wrong with magicshine and gemini lights, I have a 2 year old original magicshine.
    Bit of a lottery with direct from china cheapies but you are more than likely going to get a light that lasts 6 months or a year.
    The cost of a more established brand like Light and Motion, Dinotte, Niterider is still less than $200 for what you want and obviously you can spend a lot more and there are lights out there that are genuinely better if you spend more.

mtbr member
    The problem with the light in the OP is the fact that they have pretty much doubled the maximum light output possible from a XML LED. There is a data sheet in here Cree Component XLamp XM-L LEDs that some may find worth a look. It will show that you canot get 1800 lumens from a single XM-L LED.

Bike_Enthus, if I was in the market for a new light then I would be very, very tempted with the Gloworm.( I make my own yet I'm still tempted) The Chinese clones simply don't add up in terms of numbers, be it lumens or battery capacity or anything else involving numbers. Even the prices don't add up as I don't think it's possible to produce a quality light for such a small amount, yet alone sell it and make a profit.

Just my thoughts and I have never actualy seen a Gloworm light, though I suspect I will soon enouugh.(tempted).
    Last edited by yetibetty; 05-26-2012 at 03:10 PM.

mtbr member
    I have to agree with all the comments about "cheap" lights. The delta (in terms of cost) between the cheap ones and the brand name is quite small if you average it over a couple of years. Saving a few bucks on lights doesn't pay off in the end. With that being said, MagicShine has proven to be reliable, well the lights are, not the batteries. I just don't trust their battery packs.
    Draft College Republicans

Site Newbie
    May 2012
    Thanks for the advice on these clones. Doesn't make sense to spend money that is going to brake on me and not provide the quality as the better brands with some sort of warranty guarantee. Maybe I'll buy a clone for my kids.

mtbr member
    Just to chime in here as someone who owns "clone" lights and got them fairly cheap off ebay. First off I have had no issues with the two lights (different looks from different sellers) and they have performed well for night single track mountain biking.

It may not be for everyone but the cheaper lights work for some. I always carry back up lights and hope to not get caught somewhere with a dead light. If I do I will chuckle, grab a drink of water and make my way home with a bar mounted torch. Prior to getting my "clone" lights I used this along with a general headlamp and had tons of fun on the trails.

I am a huge proponent of buying once and crying once. High quality gear is worth it's money especially when it can save your life someday. For me the cost associated with the brand names keeps me from going with them, the other alternative besides the clones is to not get a light at all. I got a clone = happy.