Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

another light for bike, does it make sense?

hello,

we just thought it could be useful for bikes. it's just 12g very small and very compact 240 lumens headlight. Originally developed for hobbyists it also comes with integrated driver and overheating / battery overdischarging protection. Built-in constant current regulator stabilizes the luminous flux in wide ragne of input voltages (3.8-12V). There're many options available for it including different lenses, additinal cooler.

How do you feel does it make sense to come up with a simple bike mount and battery pack for it?

As for the price I guess it could be about 70-80USD per set

link to the article - http://www.lux-rc.com/view.php?p=content/magazine/march
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Kind of cute aren't they...very interesting set up ....includes an internal driver @ 900ma and works in a wide voltage range. Doesn't include a switch ( or batteries ) and is not adjustable in intensity. Does include a choice of optics though...ummm. I like the dark graphite color, cool looking, two of these could be wired with separate switches for high-low effect. The price is a little steep though...$112 USD for one > link > http://www.lux-rc.com/view.php?p=con...case/L30/order

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Pretty cool looking.
    Maverick Durance Ano-DUC32/C KING/XTR
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    09 Spec. Demo-Totem-Ti DHX
    Norco Team DH

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, this makes me certain in my plans!

As for the price, we're going through the cost optimization now, and as the volumes are growing now, we're going to discount it. The target price should be about USD 60-65, it's quite feasible now.

mtbr member

Mounts for the bike

I have finished the mounts for L30 lights. The same mount can be used also for helmet. The idea is quite simple but it provides quite reliavble fastening (see it on the pictures attached)

mtbr member
    very nice, get rid of the red & black twisted wire and you could be onto a winner.

Like those mounts a lot.

I've just made a couple of these for the P4, don't think I'll bother now yours a very nice.
    • File Type: jpg P4.JPG (68.3 KB, 1544 views)
    Last edited by yetibetty; 07-10-2009 at 04:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetibetty
    very nice, get rid of the red & black twisted wire and you could be onto a winner.
    Like those mounts a lot.
    I've just made a couple of these for the P4, don't think I'll bother now yours a very nice.
    Thanks. What's the cilinder part on your picture? Looks very interesting and compact.

Regarding the wires, yes, they look ugly but in fact it's the best wire on the market. Super flexible and silicone coated. They provide outstanding durability and vibration-resistance.

Its got what plants crave
    Quote Originally Posted by quazzle
    Thanks. What's the cilinder part on your picture? Looks very interesting and compact.

Regarding the wires, yes, they look ugly but in fact it's the best wire on the market. Super flexible and silicone coated. They provide outstanding durability and vibration-resistance.

Wire still looks cheesy, which most people are going to scoff at regardless of how awesome the wire actually is.

mtbr member
    Us mountain bikers will pay a fortune just to get the right colour, just google Chris King or Hope Tech and you'll get the idea.
    I'm sure the wires are great quality but putting a black sheath over the top will double sales.......
    .........nothing as strange as folk (old UK saying)

The cylinder bit bye the way is for the optic.& LED, driver goes in battery pack. May post it on the "lights DIY" forum in the future.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    Wire still looks cheesy, which most people are going to scoff at regardless of how awesome the wire actually is.
    I would rather agree... but just look how awesome it is:

I'm sure you'd hadly ever see so many very thin filaments inside (about 260)

mtbr member

a couple of fresh photos

a couple of fresh photos. The weight of the whole assembly with mount is a bit less than 12g. And anothe picture shows how the same light can be installed on a helmet - no additional mount is required.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Wow! Beautiful!
    Is it possible to make it dim, and what battery pack gives the best efficiency?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMSAlmer
    Wow! Beautiful!
    Is it possible to make it dim, and what battery pack gives the best efficiency?
    Thanks!!!

the brightness is constant in wide range 5-12V. So you're free to pick up any battery based on the capacity only. The power conversion perfomance is the best operating at 5-6V. The absolute ratings are: minmal voltage - 3.8V, maximal - 14V.

The dim is not available now - only in future plans.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Well, still a very good light. One could use a 7.4V battery pack, running two of these through seperate switches. Perhaps you could arrange packages of two or three headlamps. I would be tempted!

mtbr member
    I have a made a nice closeup of the bike version of L30

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Great lights! When is the bike option available? I don't mint the wire, as long as its good quality!

M

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AS-X
    Great lights! When is the bike option available? I don't mint the wire, as long as its good quality!
    M
    Thanks.The site update should be in place in next 2 weeks. I can send you a nitification message as I finish (please drop a short request for updates at sales@lux-rc.com)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Any options for running with AAs for the generally challenged?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus_XXIV
    Any options for running with AAs for the generally challenged?
    Its just the input voltage that matters so im sure you could run it off 4,6,8,10 AA Batteries without any problem, you'd just need the holder and the wiring!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus_XXIV
    yes, it will work. As long as the voltage is in range 3.8 - 12V.
    but I'd recomment using LiPo 2S pack with a simple balance charger, like this:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...0C_Lipoly_Pack

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...110/240v_Input

I win.
    What a beautiful little light. This would make the perfect helmet light. Coupled with a narrow beam and the light weight this thing could be awesome!
    09 Giant Anthem X3
    07 IBEX Trophy Comp X7

mtbr member
    a nice shot made in the trees at 2am. It shows single L30 in action.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Speak for yourself I like the red wires. Not that it really matters what color they are, because when you're riding at night you can't see them anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    newbie question..... how do i do the wiring? pos(+) to pos(+) and neg(-) to neg(-) correct? somewhere in between is the switch? please help enlighten (no pun intended) a newbie. thanks.

chris

mtbr member
    A friend of mine did a great job comparing many different commerical and DIY lights and putting the beamshots together. You can see it at http://fonarevka.lux-rc.com

mtbr member
    exactly. The manual shows this in puctures and included into the box. You can also download it from this link: http://www.lux-rc.com/temp/LUXRC-L30-EN-100509.pdf

mtbr member
    Quazzle, that is a great comparison table. Some interesting results, particularly from some of the low cost torches.

I like your lights.

Tim

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by quazzle
    A friend of mine did a great job comparing many different commerical and DIY lights and putting the beamshots together. You can see it at http://fonarevka.lux-rc.com

That's a great shootout. There are a few problems though. I wish the XR2000 Cree P4-WC had a shot of it in "flood" mode rather then just the zoom mode.

And I don't understand the Ultrafire WF-501B shot, what happened there?

I never heard of some of those MC-E's, like Vaska '09? prcoder? Stasikoff? Some of the nicest beams in the shootout, but I don't know where to find them. Are these custom made ones?

Btw, the Magicshine looks pretty impressive in that line up.

mtbr member
    Hello,

This is a very nice light. I'm very interested in it as my wife and I ride most days at 5am for exercise. I need to find out more information about price and options. Do you have any more information?

Thanks,

Rob

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut
    That's a great shootout. There are a few problems though. I wish the XR2000 Cree P4-WC had a shot of it in "flood" mode rather then just the zoom mode.

And I don't understand the Ultrafire WF-501B shot, what happened there?

I never heard of some of those MC-E's, like Vaska '09? prcoder? Stasikoff? Some of the nicest beams in the shootout, but I don't know where to find them. Are these custom made ones?

Btw, the Magicshine looks pretty impressive in that line up.
    You may be interested in some of the DIY light threads if you like the prcoder as a few people have made similar lights with this housing and an MCE from the same site.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13741 Thread here My 7W helmet light
    Last edited by yetibetty; 07-29-2009 at 11:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crewcabrob
    I need to find out more information about price and options. Do you have any more information?
    Thanks, Rob. The option list with prices is available at http://www.lux-rc.com/view.php?p=con...case/L30/order

The bike mount option should be added soon

clown
    Jul 2009
    Hi Quazzle,

Was going to submit order, however I desire two bike mounts (to go with the two lights, coolers and lens kit) and figure cheaper to order whole lot at once.

How long before bike mounts available (and cost in USD) please.

ta John

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasjaz
    How long before bike mounts available (and cost in USD) please.
    pls give me a week to setup it. I'll post the update here

clown
    Jul 2009

Smile

Hi Quazzle thank you js

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Sharp looking lights!

How much is the shiping to the U.S. aproximately?

T.Y!
    Chris

mtbr member
    you can check it on the site. The cheapest option is about $10 (2-3 weeks)

mtbr member
    Any news if the bar/helmet mount is ready yet?

Rob

nimble biker
    The cables look very fragile. It would be vunerable to damage.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Are complete set ups going to be offered? I'm not really a DIYer and would much rather just buy a complete set up then have to buy separate components.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard
    The cables look very fragile. It would be vunerable to damage.
    I would think you could get some heat shrink and cover the wires with it to help protect them. It may not be as flexible though with the heat shrink. Or maybe small diameter rubber hose.

Chris

mtbr member
    Guys, I'm going to get off the business on next 4 weeks for some rest and new impressions. I'm very glad that this topic became so popular. Thanks to everyone here! I'm sorry but this project is going to be suspended till mid of Sep. See you on the fall!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut
    Visited this topic quite accidentally and was surprised to found a link to the comparative test I took part in.
    Ledlights of Prcoder and Stasikoff are custom products. Vaska '09 is a stock-produced headlamp of my design. To my regret it's available only in Moscow and StPetersburg.

mtbr member
    lux-rc labs got it fixed now. How about this one?

The cord sheath is made from a super soft thermal stable silicone (-60...+200 C).
    The wires inside are the same.
    Last edited by quazzle; 11-08-2009 at 05:14 AM.

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by 96m2comp
    I would think you could get some heat shrink and cover the wires with it to help protect them. It may not be as flexible though with the heat shrink. Or maybe small diameter rubber hose.
    Chris
    Got idea, already done!
    I have posted it here - The smallest but very bright light for helmet/bike

mtbr member
    Reserecting another old thread here:

OK, I have a 12 hour race coming up in a month. It is overnight: 7pm to 7am. Currently I have two Magicshines. I ran this set up on last fall before we got pounded with snow and the MTB season ended here in Nebraska.

With two of the Magicshines, there was certainly no shortage of light or runtime for me. I ran them on medium and had no problems. I would run out of gas before the lights would even hint at shutting down. What I did find however is that the light and battery were heavy on my helmet after riding for a few hours. It moved my helmet around and was really a chore to keep my head up and aimed where I wanted it to be. I had both the light and battery mounted on my helmet: light very close to the front and the battery hanging off the back with a velcro strap.

I just purchased one of these lights from quazzle. Mainly for the weight and size factor. I doubt that I will feel the added weight of the light head alone and with 350 reported lumens, it can't be that much less light than the Magic shine on Medium. I have purchaed 8 of the AW 2600mah 16850 cells and some of the Luminocity holders to power the light. I really want to try and power the light off of 2 of these cells. Since I am not an EE or anywhere close, could someone give me a rough estimate of how long I can expect to get for runtime with the one L30 light here and 2 of the cells I mentioned.

I'm planning on purchasing at least a couple more of Quazzles lights as soon as they come out. The current set up with the Magicshines is crazy bright and while I like having all that light, I find I don't really need it. I would love to have two of the L31 lights Quazzle is making for the bars, and the L33 for my new helmet light. I think his housing should come in smaller and lighter than the Magicshine.

Any speculation on runtimes for me? I really appreciate it.

Rob

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

OK, I have a 12 hour race coming up in a month. It is overnight: 7pm to 7am. Currently I have two Magicshines. I ran this set up on last fall before we got pounded with snow and the MTB season ended here in Nebraska.

With two of the Magicshines, there was certainly no shortage of light or runtime for me. I ran them on medium and had no problems. I would run out of gas before the lights would even hint at shutting down. What I did find however is that the light and battery were heavy on my helmet after riding for a few hours. It moved my helmet around and was really a chore to keep my head up and aimed where I wanted it to be. I had both the light and battery mounted on my helmet: light very close to the front and the battery hanging off the back with a velcro strap.

I just purchased one of these lights from quazzle. Mainly for the weight and size factor. I doubt that I will feel the added weight of the light head alone and with 350 reported lumens, it can't be that much less light than the Magic shine on Medium. I have purchaed 8 of the AW 2600mah 16850 cells and some of the Luminocity holders to power the light. I really want to try and power the light off of 2 of these cells. Since I am not an EE or anywhere close, could someone give me a rough estimate of how long I can expect to get for runtime with the one L30 light here and 2 of the cells I mentioned.

I'm planning on purchasing at least a couple more of Quazzles lights as soon as they come out. The current set up with the Magicshines is crazy bright and while I like having all that light, I find I don't really need it. I would love to have two of the L31 lights Quazzle is making for the bars, and the L33 for my new helmet light. I think his housing should come in smaller and lighter than the Magicshine.

Any speculation on runtimes for me? I really appreciate it.

Rob

It really surprises me that folks are willing to mount the battery for their helmet light on the helmet. Personally, I always put the battery in my jersey pocket. I think having it in my pocket is the best choice because it's completely independent of my camelback. I can take the camelback off without having to worry about it being connected. I also ride with bottles most of the time when the ride is less than 3 hours and this means my light setup is exactly the same when I ride with or without a camelback.

I'm also careful to mount the light head on my helmet such that the helmet is very well balanced front to back and also low on the helmet to minimize the effect of the weight. That means mounting the light pretty close to the top of the helmet with a very low profile mount.

With my current lights, that means I end up with about 78 grams of weight well balanced on the helmet. That's not bad, but I still want less. Especially in 6/12/24 hour races. My next light should be in the 40grams or less range with similar light output as my current light. I think that'll hardly be noticeable.

mtbr member
    Hi,

I realize it might not be optimal to have both the light and batter mounted on the helmet, but for me it seems like the best option. I can take the whole set up off with the helmet and I don't have to worry about snagged cables or pulling a connection apart. That being said, I can see how a jersey pocket could work well for a pack. I don't like to ride with my Camelbak unless I have to. On a short trail with multiple laps, I find a bottle or two works better for me. I can always go back to camp and get another bottle or two.

Cutting the light head and battery down to less than half of the Magicshine should help with longer rides. The light head is easily half the weight of the Magicshine. The battery on the Magic shine is basically 4 16850 batteries wired up. I hope that by going to just two battries, it will really lighten things up.

Rob

Light freak

Battery mounted on the helmet - that is how I roll!

mtbr member

OK, I have a 12 hour race coming up in a month. .....edit..... What I did find however is that the light and battery were heavy on my helmet after riding for a few hours. It moved my helmet around and was really a chore to keep my head up and aimed where I wanted it to be. I had both the light and battery mounted on my helmet: light very close to the front and the battery hanging off the back with a velcro strap.

...Rob
    I think I understand your need for a light-weight helmet setup. Personally I think you should be able to get by with 2 x 18650's and a 2 x Quazzle xpE or G parallel setup without having a weight problem. However it's too early to say which Quazzle light will offer the best beam pattern for helmet use but I'm betting the single XP-E or triple XPE will be the best for longer throw. Once again though, too early to speculate on how well the mounting solution will work especially when you consider all the crazy helmet vent configurations used nowadays.

When I want to go wireless on my helmet I use my WF-501B Ultrafire torch host with a SST-50 drop-in. The torch has a very low profile and stays put with just a single piece of Velcro. I'm very lucky though because I have the perfect helmet for using a torch WHICH is almost impossible to find nowadays. Run time on high is about 1hr for the SST-50 ( roughly 600lm ) I could easily mod the torch to run with a 2 cell external pack and mount it to the back of the helmet ( a la Amoeba ) but for the time being I'm fine with it the way it is. Medium mode gives me 200lm and about 3hr of run time.

Now about the problem you have with the MagicShine on the helmet: You mentioned that your head gets heavy during the extended ride and the light ends up not pointing where you want. To me this sounds like a problem with the light head mount not being flexible enough to allow the light head to point ( up more )where it needs to be when your head is hanging lower. I don't own a MS but I used to have the same problem with my quad XRE light. Luckily with mine all I had to do was stick a wad of old inner tube under the mount to lift it a little. You might have to do what ( MacG ) suggested and situate the mount a little higher on the helmet ( if possible ) . Like you, I prefer the light head a little more forward. Anyway, for what it's worth....I can't see how anyone could ride with 4 cells on the helmet....Way, way too heavy for me.

Lastly, I think two cells should run a single XP-G about 3hrs. Cut that in half if using two Q-light XPG's in parallel. ( I base that on how long my single XP-G torch runs with one 2400mAh 18650 ( black/red ) Trustfire cell....which is 1.5hrs )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast