Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

another light for bike, does it make sense?

hello,

we just thought it could be useful for bikes. it's just 12g very small and very compact 240 lumens headlight. Originally developed for hobbyists it also comes with integrated driver and overheating / battery overdischarging protection. Built-in constant current regulator stabilizes the luminous flux in wide ragne of input voltages (3.8-12V). There're many options available for it including different lenses, additinal cooler.

How do you feel does it make sense to come up with a simple bike mount and battery pack for it?

As for the price I guess it could be about 70-80USD per set

link to the article - http://www.lux-rc.com/view.php?p=content/magazine/march
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Kind of cute aren't they...very interesting set up ....includes an internal driver @ 900ma and works in a wide voltage range. Doesn't include a switch ( or batteries ) and is not adjustable in intensity. Does include a choice of optics though...ummm. I like the dark graphite color, cool looking, two of these could be wired with separate switches for high-low effect. The price is a little steep though...$112 USD for one > link > http://www.lux-rc.com/view.php?p=con...case/L30/order

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Pretty cool looking.
    Maverick Durance Ano-DUC32/C KING/XTR
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    09 Spec. Demo-Totem-Ti DHX
    Norco Team DH

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, this makes me certain in my plans!

As for the price, we're going through the cost optimization now, and as the volumes are growing now, we're going to discount it. The target price should be about USD 60-65, it's quite feasible now.

mtbr member

Mounts for the bike

I have finished the mounts for L30 lights. The same mount can be used also for helmet. The idea is quite simple but it provides quite reliavble fastening (see it on the pictures attached)

mtbr member
    very nice, get rid of the red & black twisted wire and you could be onto a winner.

Like those mounts a lot.

I've just made a couple of these for the P4, don't think I'll bother now yours a very nice.
    • File Type: jpg P4.JPG (68.3 KB, 1521 views)
    Last edited by yetibetty; 07-10-2009 at 04:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetibetty
    very nice, get rid of the red & black twisted wire and you could be onto a winner.
    Like those mounts a lot.
    I've just made a couple of these for the P4, don't think I'll bother now yours a very nice.
    Thanks. What's the cilinder part on your picture? Looks very interesting and compact.

Regarding the wires, yes, they look ugly but in fact it's the best wire on the market. Super flexible and silicone coated. They provide outstanding durability and vibration-resistance.

Its got what plants crave
    Quote Originally Posted by quazzle
    Thanks. What's the cilinder part on your picture? Looks very interesting and compact.

Regarding the wires, yes, they look ugly but in fact it's the best wire on the market. Super flexible and silicone coated. They provide outstanding durability and vibration-resistance.

Wire still looks cheesy, which most people are going to scoff at regardless of how awesome the wire actually is.

mtbr member
    Us mountain bikers will pay a fortune just to get the right colour, just google Chris King or Hope Tech and you'll get the idea.
    I'm sure the wires are great quality but putting a black sheath over the top will double sales.......
    .........nothing as strange as folk (old UK saying)

The cylinder bit bye the way is for the optic.& LED, driver goes in battery pack. May post it on the "lights DIY" forum in the future.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    Wire still looks cheesy, which most people are going to scoff at regardless of how awesome the wire actually is.
    I would rather agree... but just look how awesome it is:

I'm sure you'd hadly ever see so many very thin filaments inside (about 260)

mtbr member

a couple of fresh photos

a couple of fresh photos. The weight of the whole assembly with mount is a bit less than 12g. And anothe picture shows how the same light can be installed on a helmet - no additional mount is required.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Wow! Beautiful!
    Is it possible to make it dim, and what battery pack gives the best efficiency?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMSAlmer
    Wow! Beautiful!
    Is it possible to make it dim, and what battery pack gives the best efficiency?
    Thanks!!!

the brightness is constant in wide range 5-12V. So you're free to pick up any battery based on the capacity only. The power conversion perfomance is the best operating at 5-6V. The absolute ratings are: minmal voltage - 3.8V, maximal - 14V.

The dim is not available now - only in future plans.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Well, still a very good light. One could use a 7.4V battery pack, running two of these through seperate switches. Perhaps you could arrange packages of two or three headlamps. I would be tempted!

mtbr member
    I have a made a nice closeup of the bike version of L30

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Great lights! When is the bike option available? I don't mint the wire, as long as its good quality!

M

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AS-X
    Great lights! When is the bike option available? I don't mint the wire, as long as its good quality!
    M
    Thanks.The site update should be in place in next 2 weeks. I can send you a nitification message as I finish (please drop a short request for updates at sales@lux-rc.com)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Any options for running with AAs for the generally challenged?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus_XXIV
    Any options for running with AAs for the generally challenged?
    Its just the input voltage that matters so im sure you could run it off 4,6,8,10 AA Batteries without any problem, you'd just need the holder and the wiring!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus_XXIV
    yes, it will work. As long as the voltage is in range 3.8 - 12V.
    but I'd recomment using LiPo 2S pack with a simple balance charger, like this:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...0C_Lipoly_Pack

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...110/240v_Input

I win.
    What a beautiful little light. This would make the perfect helmet light. Coupled with a narrow beam and the light weight this thing could be awesome!
    09 Giant Anthem X3
    07 IBEX Trophy Comp X7

mtbr member
    a nice shot made in the trees at 2am. It shows single L30 in action.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    Speak for yourself I like the red wires. Not that it really matters what color they are, because when you're riding at night you can't see them anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    newbie question..... how do i do the wiring? pos(+) to pos(+) and neg(-) to neg(-) correct? somewhere in between is the switch? please help enlighten (no pun intended) a newbie. thanks.

chris

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast