mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Amoeba lighting system

I received my amoeba light a few days ago and I truly couldn't be more impressed. Just as I'd read online the size of system is incredible. JB was consistently professional and available throughout the entire process. He even helped me out with a special shipping arrangement that was purely beneficial on my end. The ameoba has lived up to its reputation and anyone considering helmet mounted lights should consider this product.

I'm not a light-o-phile (nor do I know JB personally at all) but have gathered great info from these threads. I'm willing to spend a fair amount on quality high-end products and feel JB's product is $ well spent. I don't own a light meter or really have a grasp on the difference between lumens and lux. What I can tell the average light seeker out there is I've completed multiple 12 hour races with many race/recreational night rides. The amoeba is easily bright enough to light up the night with enough throw to safely navigate technical terrain. I'm currently considering buying a second amoeba as a backup/handlebar light.

Bottom line, you won't be disappointed.
    Hillslayer
    --------------------------------------------------
    "What man is a man who does not make the world better?"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hillslayer
    I received my amoeba light a few days ago and I truly couldn't be more impressed. Just as I'd read online the size of system is incredible. JB was consistently professional and available throughout the entire process. He even helped me out with a special shipping arrangement that was purely beneficial on my end. The ameoba has lived up to its reputation and anyone considering helmet mounted lights should consider this product.
    I'm not a light-o-phile (nor do I know JB personally at all) but have gathered great info from these threads. I'm willing to spend a fair amount on quality high-end products and feel JB's product is $ well spent. I don't own a light meter or really have a grasp on the difference between lumens and lux. What I can tell the average light seeker out there is I've completed multiple 12 hour races with many race/recreational night rides. The amoeba is easily bright enough to light up the night with enough throw to safely navigate technical terrain. I'm currently considering buying a second amoeba as a backup/handlebar light.
    Bottom line, you won't be disappointed.
    So are you running the amoeba helmet-mounted and as your only light right now, or do you run something on the bars as well? I ask because I am thinking of purchasing a light and the amoeba intrigues me, but I can only by one at the moment.
    Thanks,
    Barry
    Yeah well, that's just, ya' know, like, your opinion, man.

Light freak
    hillslayer - Thanks for the good words! Glad you got your light in time for your race. Alot of "personal pride" goes into each one of my lights and it makes every minute worth while when I hear back from people. Good luck and I can't wait to hear how the race goes for you.

Acero853 - I usualy recommend doing a helmet mounted light if you are only going to be running one. But that could still change depending on your location, trail consitions, and riding style. If you want to shoot me a PM, we could discuss your needs more.

Here are some things to think about -

Characteristics of where you place the light
    Light on the bars – With the light being below your eyes, it produces “shadowing” of obstacles. The downside of the light being on the bars is the light is always pointed in the direction that you bars are pointed. Can be a problem on tight, twisty switch backs where you want to look around the corner. The other thing is having to make a repair in the dark with your light bar mounted. Almost have to remove it to get the light pointed where you need it

Light on your head – With the light above your eyes, it tends to “flatten” out obstacles as it doesn’t produce as much “shadowing”. The upside is that your light is always pointed directly where you are looking. Making repairs in the dark in much easier with the light on your head. The downside to a helmet mounted light only is that when you are looking to the sides or around a switchback, you don’t have lighting on the ground out in front of you(which could be actually visible in your peripheral vision). In snow, fog, rain, and dusty conditions a helmet only light can be difficult. The light reflecting back at you off of the moisture and dust in the air can make visibility very difficult.

Light on both the helmet and the bars – Best of both worlds. Always have light directly out in front of you and where you are looking. If it gets snowing, raining, or foggy and it is making visibility difficult because of the helmet light, then you just go bar only. All 24hr races require repetitive light systems for safety. I have heard stories of many people that have had their only light die on them and have had to walk out, not fun. I have heard stories of people trying to use the light from their cell phone to get out, brutal.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Hightechredneck from the Colorado Front Range forum has been using one XP-G Amoeba on his head for all of our group night rides this winter. It seems to be working well for him--he's still one of the fastest riders in our group even without a bar mount.

That being said, having a light on your head and a light on the bars is nice...

mtbr member
    Scar was nice enough to lend me an Amoeba while he's waiting for parts to build mine.

I picked it up from him at lunch today, thinking I'd use it to ride to work in the morning.

Little did I know, that my flat tire on the way home today would result in me riding the last 20 minutes in the dark.

I waited until it was very dark before I turned it on and .... POW. Let there be light. Very happy with the amount of light, intensity, handlebar mount hardware, and overall setup. Nice and light and unobtrusive.

Thanks Scar!

Schmed
    2001 Turner O2 XC
    2012 IndyFab Planet Cross CX
    2013 Kona Raijin SS