mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Aiming Handlebar Lights

I recently purchased a Dinotte 800L setup in anticipation of doing a few local 12 hour races, plus its the first time I have ridden with lights in approx. 10 years! I've been out a few times to dial things in and can't decide how far ahead I should be aiming the light (I also ride with a 400L on the helmet). I realize that its easy to adjust the aim depending on speed and terrain, but is there a general distance that most people start with and then adjust for circumstances? It constantly seems like I am either too far out or too close in, and am having problems finding that happy medium.

mtbr member
    Not sure I can help you since I don't own the 800L but I do own a 600L. When on high I point mine into the 100ft. range. The spill with the 600L is good enough to see anything near up. If I power down to mid-level ( 425lm? ) and plan on keeping it there a bit I will then adjust the lighthead down a little lower ( 50-75ft range.). From what I've seen of the 800L beam pattern ( on high ) , you shouldn't have any problems seeing anything in front of you regardless of how far ahead you aim the beam pattern.

Your Best Friend
    Practice makes perfect and it won't take long. 30 minutes into your first ride you'll have it all set.

Members who have read this thread: 0