mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Adding helmet light to P7 Magicshine bar light?

I have the original Magicshine P7 light with the updated battery from Geomangear from 2010. I have it setup as a bar light, but I'm finding it is not that bright anymore which is probably due to the age of the battery. Decided to get a helmet light to run in addition, partly because Magicshine is not sufficient anymore, and partly to have two lights on at all times. (Magicshine also cuts out every once in a while, I believe the cable from the battery is the issue)

Picked up a Cygolite Metro 700 the other day, but I'm not sure yet if I want to keep it. The beam is a lot narrower than Magicshine, but I suppose that is not an issue for a two light setup especially if used as helmet light. I paid $100 CAD (about 75USD) including the mount that is adjustable and nice and secure on the helmet. On high it only lasts 1:15 and I can't find what the lumen rating for medium and low is either.

I looked at the ituo xp2, but a kit would run me $250+ either locally or shipped from US so for now I will have to pass. Would Gemini Xera 950 be a good match with the Magicshine? It comes about $100 cheaper from ActionLed than X2. I've read about overheating issue with these, but I use my light in fall, winter and spring, usually temps 10 to -20C (50 to -4F) and 70% of the time with snow on the ground where neutral white may be valuable. This is of course for single track trail riding.

Is there anything else I should look at? Keep the Metro and maybe order a fresh battery for Magicshine eventually? Scrap the Magicshine and/or Metro and start over?
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2016 Norco Sasquatch 6.1

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kryten View Post
    I have the original Magicshine P7 light with the updated battery from Geomangear from 2010. I have it setup as a bar light, but I'm finding it is not that bright anymore which is probably due to the age of the battery. Decided to get a helmet light to run in addition, partly because Magicshine is not sufficient anymore, and partly to have two lights on at all times. (Magicshine also cuts out every once in a while, I believe the cable from the battery is the issue)

Picked up a Cygolite Metro 700 the other day, but I'm not sure yet if I want to keep it. The beam is a lot narrower than Magicshine, but I suppose that is not an issue for a two light setup especially if used as helmet light. I paid $100 CAD (about 75USD) including the mount that is adjustable and nice and secure on the helmet. On high it only lasts 1:15 and I can't find what the lumen rating for medium and low is either.

I looked at the ituo xp2, but a kit would run me $250+ either locally or shipped from US so for now I will have to pass. Would Gemini Xera 950 be a good match with the Magicshine? It comes about $100 cheaper from ActionLed than X2. I've read about overheating issue with these, but I use my light in fall, winter and spring, usually temps 10 to -20C (50 to -4F) and 70% of the time with snow on the ground where neutral white may be valuable. This is of course for single track trail riding.

Is there anything else I should look at? Keep the Metro and maybe order a fresh battery for Magicshine eventually? Scrap the Magicshine and/or Metro and start over?
    The XP-2 is on sale for $149US. With our crappy dollar you still won't pay much more than $200. If they will ship by USPS then Canada Post you may not even get stung with duty fees. I had the P-7 MS and the XP-2 will blow the doors off it not only in output but beam shape too. Way higher quality as well in every way.

If you want to keep cost down just get two new XM-L2 versions of your P-7 MS.

mtbr member

Sorry to hear the Cygolite didn't solve your lighting needs. First I think it's time to retire your MS 808 P7. I'm not sure a new battery will help your light since I have a P7 and XML 808 in my junk light box that slowly got weaker and new batteries didn't help them + sound like your having problems with that light anyway.

New Xera my be a good fit for you. Action-LED-Lights beam pattern chart shows it to be a floody light for a single emitter which would work well with the narrow spot of your Cygolite. Haven't heard of over-heating problems with this model just the Duo & Olympia and pretty sure the Xera only comes with cool white emitters a the moment. I would think Gemini would be a good brand for you since they are a Canadian company (less duty issues?). Still confused on Canadian prices though as the Ituo XP2 is only $40 US more than the Xera in the States. Wish I could be more help, Good Luck!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    The XP-2 is on sale for $149US. With our crappy dollar you still won't pay much more than $200. If they will ship by USPS then Canada Post you may not even get stung with duty fees. I had the P-7 MS and the XP-2 will blow the doors off it not only in output but beam shape too. Way higher quality as well in every way.

If you want to keep cost down just get two new XM-L2 versions of your P-7 MS.
    Definitely agree with analogy of the performance advantage the XP2 has over a P7 808. Actually your economy suggestion of 2 new 808 XM-L2s would probably yield about 4x the amount of light a P7 would make (or about equal to 1 XP2). USPS has been the shipping method of all the Ituo lights and accessories I've received which sounds like best method for this situation.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    Definitely agree with analogy of the performance advantage the XP2 has over a P7 808. Actually your economy suggestion of 2 new 808 XM-L2s would probably yield about 4x the amount of light a P7 would make (or about equal to 1 XP2). USPS has been the shipping method of all the Ituo lights and accessories I've received which sounds like best method for this situation.
    Mole
    In the riding temps the OP rides in i have to give accolades to the P-7 808 for lasting that long. Those are some cold temps. Pretty much anything will be a big improvement over that light. Hopefully he chooses something with neutral tint for all the snow riding he does. If i remember correctly, the P-7 had a warmer tint to it. If so the standard XM-L2 may be cooler than he is used to.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I had a budget of $100 (CAD) or under initially to add a second self contained light for the helmet,and were hoping to keep Magicshine going for a bit more. I did check the pricing again and yes, you are correct, price difference between Gemini Xera and XP2 is about $50. $230CAD shipped for XP2 and $180 for Gemini, both with helmet mounts.

I started looking at the well liked Ituo lights as I realized all self contained lights will only last over an hour on high. I usually go for 2+ hours and on top of that will only do 400 or so on medium to last that long. Good news is I'm only within city limits in the river valley never too far from residential areas and always carry extra hiking headlamp just to get home if worst comes worst.

I guess I need to either double my budget or lower my expectations. Did Magicshine improved their quality over the years? I was never too impressed with mine. Also being on a budget, would the Metro be a waste of money and not worth bothering with? I could get the XM-L2 with helmet mount for $140 shipped here. Should be much better than off the shelf Serfas, Cygolites etc in the 600-800 lumen range, right? I was never a fan of mounting battery to the back of the helmet, but I supposed that is the standard and works for most?

Adding helmet light to P7 Magicshine bar light?-img_20160108_211129_zpsz9l4z2fs.jpg
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2016 Norco Sasquatch 6.1

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I had a budget of $100 (CAD) or under initially to add a second self contained light for the helmet,and were hoping to keep Magicshine going for a bit more. I did check the pricing again and yes, you are correct, price difference between Gemini Xera and XP2 is about $50. $230CAD shipped for XP2 and $180 for Gemini, both with helmet mounts.

I started looking at the well liked Ituo lights as I realized all self contained lights will only last over an hour on high. I usually go for 2+ hours and on top of that will only do 400 or so on medium to last that long. Good news is I'm only within city limits in the river valley never too far from residential areas and always carry extra hiking headlamp just to get home if worst comes worst.

I guess I need to either double my budget or lower my expectations. Did Magicshine improved their quality over the years? I was never too impressed with mine. Also being on a budget, would the Metro be a waste of money and not worth bothering with? I could get the XM-L2 with helmet mount for $140 shipped here. Should be much better than off the shelf Serfas, Cygolites etc in the 600-800 lumen range, right? I was never a fan of mounting battery to the back of the helmet, but I supposed that is the standard and works for most?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160108_211129_zpsz9l4z2fs.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	1100507
    Not a big MS fan myself but, for your budget it may be a good option. Gemini and Ituo will be a bump up in quality but your going to pay more. For me at the end of the day if night riding is a part of your life style then pay a little more if you can afford it,, get something that will be bright enough for what you ride the tint you want and in the cold you ride,, the highest quality battery's. An extra $50, or $150 IMO is money well spent for piece of mind.

mtbr member

Not exactly true! The beautiful light pictured below is my Wiz20. Self-contained, over 2 hours run-time on high and field replaceable batteries for extended use, approx. 1400 real lumens, $100 US. Pretty much all the features of the XP2 with slightly less power (200 lumenms to maintain run-times) but a better UI. Only drawback is it's not helmet mountable without having a custom mount made. If this looks good you should check out the Wiz20 thread.
    Mole

Adding helmet light to P7 Magicshine bar light?-001-9-.jpg

RAKC
    beautiful light hell, sexy ass bike!!! Ya took mine out tonight on the new wheels, OMG so much better!!!! running dual xp3 set up for giggles. Just too much damn fun.

Gotta get a newer muk frame soon, mines seen better days.

ANd ya the wiz20 is great, perfect cold weather light too. I rode mine all last winter in the cold because runtimes arent shot due to cold weather.

RAKC
    Here you go, wiz20 on my mukluk. BTW I CAN ALSO CONFIRM WIZ20 LASTS 2 HOURS. Wiz2 is less, wiz1 is a bit more.

If your reading the Graphs, the times are in minutes so 120 is 2 hrs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Is there a 3500mah 2 cell battery pack for the X2 available from Ituo? I'm still not sold on strapping a 4 cell pack to my helmet and don't like having the pack in my backpack as the cable always ends up annoying me rubbing on my neck while riding etc. I tried that setup for as while with the MS. If I look at the graphs correctly, it should last 2.5+ hours easily anywhere between 600-700 lumens which would be perfect. Alternatively, would a MS MJ-6092 2600mah work with this and are those quality and safe battery packs? I like that it has flat casing that would probably mount well to the back of my helmet.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2016 Norco Sasquatch 6.1

mtbr member
    Is there a 3500mah 2 cell battery pack for the X2 available from Ituo? I'm still not sold on strapping a 4 cell pack to my helmet and don't like having the pack in my backpack as the cable always ends up annoying me rubbing on my neck while riding etc. I tried that setup for as while with the MS. If I look at the graphs correctly, it should last 2.5+ hours easily anywhere between 600-700 lumens which would be perfect. Alternatively, would a MS MJ-6092 2600mah work with this and are those quality and safe battery packs? I like that it has flat casing that would probably mount well to the back of my helmet.
    At the moment the 4-cell is all you can get from Ituo. That MS battery would work and even though it uses lower capacity cells should give you the runtime your looking for (your cold ride temps. may effect this though). Surprised that carrying the battery in a warmer spot wouldn't trump the inconvenience of dealing with a battery cable again considering the temps. you ride in). I do longer rides (typical 4 hr.) so necessary to run more battery capacity but don't hardly even notice the cable once I started using a cable guide made from a couple of zipties. Definitely understand way you don't want to carry a 4-cell on your helmet.
    Mole

RAKC
    Easy way to fix cable rub issue is a small velcro strap holding the cable at the back of your helmet so its no where near your neck. It's what I do if I need a 4 cell.

But if you only need 6-700 lumens something like the wiz1 would work too.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I will test it out again next night ride with my MS. It has been a couple of years since I used it in such way. Will give it a try with velcro straps and see how I like it. I tend to take my backpack off at every stop so guaranteed I'll forget I'm still 'connected' when I do...

I browsed through the Wiz1 thread and I really like the light. I think it could work well for me as a bar light with the wide optics and fit my budget better.

EDIT: ^ Wiz20 not Wiz1
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2016 Norco Sasquatch 6.1

mtbr member
    You can get a compatible 2-cell battery pack from Kaidomain:

KD 7.4V 3500mAh Pack 10cm cable

KD 7.4V 3500mAh Pack 60cm cable

I ordered the shorter one for my helmet-mounted BT21. The connectors are push-in rather than screw-in but apparently they still work.

mtbr member
    I will test it out again next night ride with my MS. It has been a couple of years since I used it in such way. Will give it a try with velcro straps and see how I like it. I tend to take my backpack off at every stop so guaranteed I'll forget I'm still 'connected' when I do...

I browsed through the Wiz1 thread and I really like the light. I think it could work well for me as a bar light with the wide optics and fit my budget better.
    The Wiz1 doesn't use optics like the Wiz20/XP2/XP3 but a reflector which gives a very central spot heavy beam which I personally didn't like so I swapped it for a Wiz20. I changed the standard 10 degree optics in this for 25 degree and it gives a much more even beam.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OverTheHill View Post
    The Wiz1 doesn't use optics like the Wiz20/XP2/XP3 but a reflector which gives a very central spot heavy beam which I personally didn't like so I swapped it for a Wiz20. I changed the standard 10 degree optics in this for 25 degree and it gives a much more even beam.
    Thanks for the battery pack suggestions. I actually meant the 1500 lumen Wiz20 in my previous post.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2016 Norco Sasquatch 6.1

mtbr member

EDIT: ^ Wiz20 not Wiz1
    You'd be very happy with this light. I run the 25 degree optics which Ituo calls "wide spot" and that's a very good description. Good all around beam that's wide enough for trail riding but if your looking for something floody you might want to do a 25/45 combo. 45/45 really cuts the throw down so I wouldn't try that unless that's what you think you want. Optics are easy to change, inexpensive, and fun to play with. Did a 4 hour ride last week using mostly low but my light modes are set at 50/70/100% intensity so should easily meet your run-time needs + allow you to run at a higher intensity.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    You'd be very happy with this light. I run the 25 degree optics which Ituo calls "wide spot" and that's a very good description. Good all around beam that's wide enough for trail riding but if your looking for something floody you might want to do a 25/45 combo. 45/45 really cuts the throw down so I wouldn't try that unless that's what you think you want. Optics are easy to change, inexpensive, and fun to play with. Did a 4 hour ride last week using mostly low but my light modes are set at 50/70/100% intensity so should easily meet your run-time needs + allow you to run at a higher intensity.
    Mole
    I've read through your and tigris99's review of the light in the other thread and figured it could be a good fit for my needs.

I would want wider beam than stock 10deg as you pointed out and looks like that is exactly how they ship them now? Although their description is a bit confusing. Either way, if optics are not installed, they should at least be in the package.

*New optics installed, one narrow spot and one flood (45deg large spot) optic. Now you get the best mix of spill and throw in one light.

Package Includes: 1x Ituo Wiz20 Lighthead, 1 set wide spot optics, 1 micro USB cable, 2x Panasonic NCR18650BE 3200mah Ituo Protected 18650 cells, handlebar mount, user manual

These Lights come fitted stock with the 10deg narrow spot optic. Wide spot optics are separate but included in the box
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2016 Norco Sasquatch 6.1

RAKC
    I would say the first one is correct with the new optics set up

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    So far I pretty much narrowed it down to Wiz20 for bar use for me. Seems to check all the boxes for me. Good runtime, now comes with wide optics suitable for handlebar use, programmable output levels, plenty of light and neutral white tint. I'm choosing this over the X2 mostly based on budget. I was a bit worried about the light standing up to mtb abuse, but reading other threads, handlebar mount seems pretty solid. My use is mostly on snow, but once the foot traffic packs down some of the trails and after a couple freeze thaw cycles it can get pretty jarring. Otherwise, typical river valley single track with some roots here and there thrown into the mix. Looks like it would be up for the challenge.

As for the helmet lights, I'm still undecided. Did a test ride last night with my MS and battery pack in my backpack, and still was not sold on the idea. I get it that this is the preferred setup for most, but can't help it, it just does not seem to work that well for me. I tent to take my backpack off every stop. I'm still thinking I would be happier with a self contained light for my helmet.

I have the Metro 700 still boxed up ready to be returned for $100 CAD. Has a nice adjustable helmet mount, that seems to fit solid on my particular helmet, fairly neutral white tint, more of a spot beam as it is a commuter light, and claimed weight of 140g without mount. Problem is 1:15h of run time on high (700lm), 2:30h on medium (I'm assuming 350lm since they don't actually list lumen ratings just run times) which I think may be not enough light. I'm thinking I would like 500+ lms for 2+ hours on my helmet ideally.

I could return the Metro and for $50CAD extra could get Expillion 850 with replaceable batteries. Extra battery pack is $45, but at least it would solve the runtime. From the Cygolite website: Med (425 lm): 3 hrs, High (575 lm): 2:15 hrs, Boost (850 lm): 1:15 hrs. I'm assuming it still has a fairly narrow beam and neutral white tint as the Metro. Same weight at 140g also.

Last option is to get the Wiz2 and extra pair of 18650 batteries as it would not have enough runtime or would be cutting it close for me and additional gopro helmet mount. Wiz2 over Wiz 1 only due to weight savings on my helmet, 150g vs 200g and I could swap in fresh batteries when needed. Slightly cheaper than the Expillion with extra battery, programmable, neutral white, similar weight, but bulkier. Would this be a good setup?

For whats it worth, going on MET Kaos UL helmet.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2016 Norco Sasquatch 6.1

Action LED Lights

Sorry I'm a little slow picking up on this thread but we've been swamped lately.
    The battery cannot in any way effect the brightness of your old P7 light. Just the runtime. The LED does lose brightness with age.
    If you really want to stay on a budget and have some minor solder skills, you could replace the LED. I have some P7's I could sell you cheap or you could even go with an XM-L2 as the drive current has stayed the same. Or we do have complete 808 sets or light heads at a very reasonable price.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    So far I pretty much narrowed it down to Wiz20 for bar use for me. Seems to check all the boxes for me. Good runtime, now comes with wide optics suitable for handlebar use, programmable output levels, plenty of light and neutral white tint. I'm choosing this over the X2 mostly based on budget. I was a bit worried about the light standing up to mtb abuse, but reading other threads, handlebar mount seems pretty solid. My use is mostly on snow, but once the foot traffic packs down some of the trails and after a couple freeze thaw cycles it can get pretty jarring. Otherwise, typical river valley single track with some roots here and there thrown into the mix. Looks like it would be up for the challenge.

As for the helmet lights, I'm still undecided. Did a test ride last night with my MS and battery pack in my backpack, and still was not sold on the idea. I get it that this is the preferred setup for most, but can't help it, it just does not seem to work that well for me. I tent to take my backpack off every stop. I'm still thinking I would be happier with a self contained light for my helmet.

I have the Metro 700 still boxed up ready to be returned for $100 CAD. Has a nice adjustable helmet mount, that seems to fit solid on my particular helmet, fairly neutral white tint, more of a spot beam as it is a commuter light, and claimed weight of 140g without mount. Problem is 1:15h of run time on high (700lm), 2:30h on medium (I'm assuming 350lm since they don't actually list lumen ratings just run times) which I think may be not enough light. I'm thinking I would like 500+ lms for 2+ hours on my helmet ideally.

I could return the Metro and for $50CAD extra could get Expillion 850 with replaceable batteries. Extra battery pack is $45, but at least it would solve the runtime. From the Cygolite website: Med (425 lm): 3 hrs, High (575 lm): 2:15 hrs, Boost (850 lm): 1:15 hrs. I'm assuming it still has a fairly narrow beam and neutral white tint as the Metro. Same weight at 140g also.

Last option is to get the Wiz2 and extra pair of 18650 batteries as it would not have enough runtime or would be cutting it close for me and additional gopro helmet mount. Wiz2 over Wiz 1 only due to weight savings on my helmet, 150g vs 200g and I could swap in fresh batteries when needed. Slightly cheaper than the Expillion with extra battery, programmable, neutral white, similar weight, but bulkier. Would this be a good setup?

For whats it worth, going on MET Kaos UL helmet.
    Review: ITUO Wiz2 and Wiz1 - Mtbr.com

Here's a link to the Wiz 1/2 review done my MTBR in case you haven't seen it. Emitter tine would match the Wiz20 so this would be my choice of the lights you mentioned.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    Sorry I'm a little slow picking up on this thread but we've been swamped lately.
    The battery cannot in any way effect the brightness of your old P7 light. Just the runtime. The LED does lose brightness with age.
    If you really want to stay on a budget and have some minor solder skills, you could replace the LED. I have some P7's I could sell you cheap or you could even go with an XM-L2 as the drive current has stayed the same. Or we do have complete 808 sets or light heads at a very reasonable price.
    I dont think I will be messing with the old P7. If I do replace it while it still works, it will be a spare or loaner. I did look at the 808s and that could work also for handlebar for me.

Review: ITUO Wiz2 and Wiz1 - Mtbr.com

Here's a link to the Wiz 1/2 review done my MTBR in case you haven't seen it. Emitter tine would match the Wiz20 so this would be my choice of the lights you mentioned.
    Mole
    Thanks, I read through the Wiz 1 and 2 thread here and will read that review next.

Do you think it is worth saving those 50g on the helmet by getting Wiz 2 instead of Wiz 1 and an extra battery? Total with gopro mount for Wiz 2 is about 200g and Wiz 1 somewhere around 250g.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2016 Norco Sasquatch 6.1

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I dont think I will be messing with the old P7. If I do replace it while it still works, it will be a spare or loaner. I did look at the 808s and that could work also for handlebar for me.

Thanks, I read through the Wiz 1 and 2 thread here and will read that review next.

Do you think it is worth saving those 50g on the helmet by getting Wiz 2 instead of Wiz 1 and an extra battery? Total with gopro mount for Wiz 2 is about 200g and Wiz 1 somewhere around 250g.
    I know your not liking the separate battery for your helmet light, but keep in mind you start putting 200/250 grams of weight at the top of your lid unless you have a linebackers neck and a tight fitting helmet that weight may become bothersome on longer rides.

mtbr member
    Here's my 10 cents worth regarding helmet lights. I had a Wiz2 but I never intended to use it as a helmet mounted light but bar mounted. After one ride I decided I didn't like the beam pattern that the reflector gave so swapped it for a Wiz20. Much too much central spot and not enough spill. In any light I prefer a more even beam pattern and most lights I have experienced using reflectors don't achieve this.

The Wiz1/2 are basically flashlights and in my opinion too unwieldy to be mounted on a helmet satisfactorily, although I am sure there are people who would beg to differ. Much better to have a separate light head and battery pack. Helmet mounting a light is also about balance as much as weight and mounting a light head towards the front of the helmet with the battery pack at the rear gives a much better balance.

I also don't like the light mounted on top of the helmet - much too easy to snag low branches damaging the light and/or your neck in the process.

Having said all that my personal preference for a headlight would be a twin XM-L style light something like:-

Ituo XP2
    Yinding
    Gloworm X2
    Gemini Duo
    Lupine Piko

Here is a pic of my personal setup - a Nightfighter BT21 - no longer available unfortunately but a brilliant light in every sense of the word.

Adding helmet light to P7 Magicshine bar light?-img_00000421.jpg

I use this with a 2S1P 2-cell battery pack mounted at the rear of the helmet for a run time of around 75 minutes on the highest setting. I have also used the original 2S2P 4-cell battery pack as well which is still doable if you need a longer run time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just to make sure I understand. Is the general consensus to not put any self contained lights on the helmet and instead use lighter light heads and external batteries pack with the obvious run time, weight benefits or are their some that would be acceptable?

Trying to see if everyone is skeptical of the Wiz 2 in particular due to its 200g or so weight with the mount or if this applies to pretty much majority of self contained lights? Cygo-lite Metro and Expillion series are 140-150g without mount, other brands are in that ballpark so lets say 170+g with mount. Trying to understand if the Wiz 2 is just that much bulkier in comparison to other units from big brands or if this has more to do with the preferred and more common light head + battery pack setup.

Either way some Ituo lights are sold out currently anyway, so this just gives me more time to decide what to get. I see the point being made about weight and balance, so I'm still looking at other options.

Edit: For handlebar I don't mind light with external battery pack and I'm pretty much decided what to get...
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2016 Norco Sasquatch 6.1

mtbr member
    To my mind there are two main problems with integrated battery pack lights on the helmet and they are related. The first problem is mounting it so that you can get a suitable angle to see the beam when you are leaning forwards, seated on the bike.

The second problem which is a consequence of the first, is that the light has to be mounted usually on the very top of the helmet. This makes it very easy to snag on low branches, potentially damaging the light and/or your neck. Fine if you ride in the Moab desert, not so good in wooded singletrack.

Here is a very lightweight alternative you might want to consider.

Xeccon Geinea I - Front & Rear combo

mtbr member
    Just to make sure I understand. Is the general consensus to not put any self contained lights on the helmet and instead use lighter light heads and external batteries pack with the obvious run time, weight benefits or are their some that would be acceptable?

Trying to see if everyone is skeptical of the Wiz 2 in particular due to its 200g or so weight with the mount or if this applies to pretty much majority of self contained lights? Cygo-lite Metro and Expillion series are 140-150g without mount, other brands are in that ballpark so lets say 170+g with mount. Trying to understand if the Wiz 2 is just that much bulkier in comparison to other units from big brands or if this has more to do with the preferred and more common light head + battery pack setup.

Either way some Ituo lights are sold out currently anyway, so this just gives me more time to decide what to get. I see the point being made about weight and balance, so I'm still looking at other options.

Edit: For handlebar I don't mind light with external battery pack and I'm pretty much decided what to get...
    -

You don't need us to figure out if the Wiz 2 is too much to use on your helmet. Mount your Cygolite and go for a 2+ hour ride with it. Best way to eliminate variables like helmet fit or rider endurance (neck strength).
    I've got a Moonsport 780 that weighs approx. 200 grams and it worked fine for me as a helmet light because of its limited runtimes (1.5 hrs.) and a good helmet fit. Pretty sure I wouldn't have liked it on longer rides though and always preferred running a separate light-head.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OverTheHill View Post
    To my mind there are two main problems with integrated battery pack lights on the helmet and they are related. The first problem is mounting it so that you can get a suitable angle to see the beam when you are leaning forwards, seated on the bike.

The second problem which is a consequence of the first, is that the light has to be mounted usually on the very top of the helmet. This makes it very easy to snag on low branches, potentially damaging the light and/or your neck. Fine if you ride in the Moab desert, not so good in wooded singletrack.

Here is a very lightweight alternative you might want to consider.

Xeccon Geinea I - Front & Rear combo
    I looked through some of the Xeccon lights. Is it Magicshine level quality or better/worse? I also noticed the S12 Two package for $49 shipped on mtbRevolution. Would this be another reasonable option, it is listed as neutral white tint as well and comes with 5200mAh battery. I may just have to suck it up and get a 'proper' light and have the battery in the backpack. If this is a decent unit another option would be to get a light head only for $27 and a 2 cell 3500mAh 160g battery and try it all on helmet. More balanced weight?

-

You don't need us to figure out if the Wiz 2 is too much to use on your helmet. Mount your Cygolite and go for a 2+ hour ride with it. Best way to eliminate variables like helmet fit or rider endurance (neck strength).
    I've got a Moonsport 780 that weighs approx. 200 grams and it worked fine for me as a helmet light because of its limited runtimes (1.5 hrs.) and a good helmet fit. Pretty sure I wouldn't have liked it on longer rides though and always preferred running a separate light-head.
    Mole
    I have it still boxed up so that I can easily return it which I most likely will. Not enough runtime and output imho.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2016 Norco Sasquatch 6.1