Carbon & Ti rule

9x XP-G Led's for me.3600 lumens.

Made the move to a good Led light having run a 30w Hid light ( 1850 Lumens ) for the last 2 years.

I never needed more light than my 30w Hid but it was a on or off only light & if we stopped for more than 5 min I had to turn it off so it wouldn't over heat & also the light unit on the helmet was 340 grams & was quite big.

I have been looking at lots of 1000 + Lumen Led lights for a while but didn't want to go back in light.

So I found a 3600 lumen ( 9 x XP-G ) 180 grams, off the shelf light,Well he has the parts & only builds to order.It took 4 days from email to light on my door step.

The light has 3 simple light setting ( Low,Med & High ) For when you are out riding, But when you are at home playing you can go into the admin mode & reset the setting,

In low there is about 5 power setting to choose from to what suits you & another 5 setting on Med & then just 3 on high.

This Nightlightning light is about the best balance of everything to suit my needs

The good thing is the light works with the battery packs I already had.

I'm really liking the light & yes I know you don't need that much light but on 12 hour relay races when you catch someone they just get such a shock they get out of your way & even the people that don't want to get out of the way on single track end up riding in there own shadow & give up the fight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9x XP-G Led's for me.3600 lumens.-bikebits-941.jpg  

9x XP-G Led's for me.3600 lumens.-bikebits-942.jpg  

9x XP-G Led's for me.3600 lumens.-bikebits-943.jpg  

Last edited by muzzanic; 04-21-2011 at 02:45 AM.

what a joke
    Looks good, got any beam shots?
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Link to website?

Meh
    I have an iBlaast II & I've never been too happy with the helmet mount attachment to the helmet. Any way you could take a pic of your mounting strap to see how others are doing it? Are you running a 14.8V pack with that IBlaast 9? I have thought of upgrading mine to the 9, do you mind if I ask what it cost you, you can pm if better.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Sweet. Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks 1000+ lumens is still on the shy side.

Have you experienced any issues with overheating?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by steve86
    Link to website?
    http://www.nightlightning.co.nz/

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw
    Sweet. Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks 1000+ lumens is still on the shy side.

Have you experienced any issues with overheating?
    No but I have not had it long,The light is clever if it was to over heat it just throttles back a bit untill it cools down & then it puts itself back to were you had it set.

There a 5 temp settings in the admin mode so you can choose the temp that you want this to happen.

In the spec sheet it says that on full biking up hill in the day time es enough air flow to keep it in good running range..

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by special k
    I have an iBlaast II & I've never been too happy with the helmet mount attachment to the helmet. Any way you could take a pic of your mounting strap to see how others are doing it? Are you running a 14.8V pack with that IBlaast 9? I have thought of upgrading mine to the 9, do you mind if I ask what it cost you, you can pm if better.

Thanks.
    I am using a 14.8 volt battery that is reduced to 13.2 volt so it will run my Hid light.

With the Std setup it will run from 12 volt through to 18 volt.

I did ask what about the people that already have a 11.1 volt Li Ion battery battery pack that they had with there Hid light, Eric said if he is told before he builds the light it is easy for him to make the light to suit.

I will have to take some photo's of the mount, I think they have changed the mount.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by special k

Thanks.
    Hi It was not cheap, It was approx $375 US dollars because I had my own battery pack.

The 4 Led quad Blast ( 1600 Lumen ) light is the only 1 they do that has to run a 14.8 Volt battery.

The is alot for a light but it does deliver & I know so many people that have spent double that & not have a light system that I would even want to do a ride with.

Even there Mini Blast 3 Led ( 1200 Lumen ) light is a stunner,I had been looking at them on the trail for a couple of years thinking it was well ahead of what was out there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have 2 IBlaast IX's mounted on my bars. One has all three of the 20mm XPG triples with the standard narrower optics & and the other has a mix of wider optics (two 25 deg & one 40 deg). It is such an awesome set up!
    Eric used different drivers in mine as well to drive each light head at 3.6 amps. I think they are called Recom.
    He is also currently in the proccess of making a custom 15.6 Ah battery for me.
    I've been a customer of theirs for many years. Nightlightning are a first rate company, I highly rate their products & their customer service.

Cheers, Digger.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Wow you are closer than me to my dream of being able to melt the tyres on the bike infront of me

I have plenty of good battery packs ranging from 5.5 AH to 10.4 AH so run time is not a problem.

So you are indeed power crazy,Whats up with that ? Do you just like or do you need the power for some reason ?

Just asking, I didn't need anymore than the 1850 lumens I did have.

Quote Originally Posted by OldAusDigger
    I have 2 IBlaast IX's mounted on my bars. One has all three of the 20mm XPG triples with the standard narrower optics & and the other has a mix of wider optics (two 25 deg & one 40 deg). It is such an awesome set up!
    Eric used different drivers in mine as well to drive each light head at 3.6 amps. I think they are called Recom.
    He is also currently in the proccess of making a custom 15.6 Ah battery for me.
    I've been a customer of theirs for many years. Nightlightning are a first rate company, I highly rate their products & their customer service.

Cheers, Digger.

what a joke
    Wow, 2x IX on your bars that's got to be BRIGHT!

Anyone have any beam shots?
    blah blah blah

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by ozlongboarder
    Wow, 2x IX on your bars that's got to be BRIGHT!

Anyone have any beam shots?
    I will try to get some tonight.

But for now just turn the lights on full in your car to get some Idea.

what a joke
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic
    I will try to get some tonight.

But for now just turn the lights on full in your car to get some Idea.
    Thanks mate, what lens configuration do you have? Throw, flood or combo?

I have a 7UP on my bar now (apprx 1800lumen) and MS900(maybe 500lumen) on my lid so I have a good idea on bright but 3600 is a whole new level . I'm really looking for something with max throw for my helmet.
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What kind of connectors do they use? I want to keep everything compatable with my Amoeba and MS rear lights.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus_XXIV
    What kind of connectors do they use? I want to keep everything compatable with my Amoeba and MS rear lights.
    Not sure what they use I just posted him a plug that fits my batterys & he fitted that to the light when he made it.

My batterys are from battery space as that is were I got my 30w Hid lights from.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ozlongboarder
    Thanks mate, what lens configuration do you have? Throw, flood or combo?

I have a 7UP on my bar now (apprx 1800lumen) and MS900(maybe 500lumen) on my lid so I have a good idea on bright but 3600 is a whole new level . I'm really looking for something with max throw for my helmet.
    This light uses the 20mm carclo triple optic. The tightest version of that optic is a flood when paired with the XPG. Maybe the sheer amount of light helps it get out a little further.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I originally had two IBlaasts on my handbars before and when I emailed Eric in NZ about upgrading them, he said we could convert them to the IX's by attatching the new heat sink extension barrels. As I had recently aquired a new helmet light (2 x 20mm XPG triples) from fellow MTBR member "Matthewm", I decided to keep the IBlaasts for the handlebars and select a mix of different optics to get exactly the beam pattern that suited me best.
    He did me good deal on the price too, as it ended up costing me around $400 AUD.
    I also got the thumb controller switch so it's very easy to scroll through the settings on the fly.
    At the moment the 4.4 Ah battery I have doesn't have enough grunt to run the lights at 100%. So there's a chip in them to limit output to around 60%.
    When the new battery arrives, I'll put the new chip in and maybe post some beamshots then.
    As it is, it's already more than enough, and even more so if you include the 2000 lumem helmet light!
    As for why, just ask my wife - it's an illness I have

p.s. For any one in Oz, there is a great article in the current edition of "Mountain Biking Australia" magazine with good beamshots. The IBlaast IX is compared to a few other lights, including the Exposure Sixpack & Lupine Betty, and it beats both of them!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus_XXIV
    They use Molex connectors.