mtbr member
    Aug 2013

900 Lumen Light Head

Howdy folks I'm new on here and just looking for opinions. I make 21 volt battery powered lights and I was looking for a super bright LED head to hook into my battery supply. Do you guys have any suggestions on what a good LED light would be. I prefer the light head to have 3 to 5 LED bulbs in it. I can get an 800 lumen 5 bulb LED head for around $140........just seeing if I could cook something up home made that would be cheaper on me. Any and all comments welcomed! Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    $140 & 3-5 leds - you should be able to do much better than 800 lumens. 21v will limit your options for drivers, but your budget will help. Just an example

Housing M36 LED housing US$25
    LEDs triple XM-L2 AU$31.95
    Optic Ledil Cute AU$4.50
    Driver b3flex US$35

Or you could buy a combined emitter, driver & optic US$93 +shipping - would be much cheaper at US$35 if you can solder your own LEDs.

Not sure how much heat the housing will dissipate - zemike would be able to answer that, but some rough numbers 3 XM-L2 @ 3.0A should give ~3500 lumens, @2.0A = ~2500 lumens, even @1.0A = ~1500 lumens.

edit should have added while you can buy multi LED bike lights to pick just one example all the ones I have seen are designed to run on 7-8.4V

Light freak
    What kind of lights to do make running off of 21V's? What are they for?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    They light up the nite..............I like a bright light when I get out in the dark ...........I custom make the belt batteries..........its for hunting at nite

Light freak
    Any pics? What type are your current lights - Halogen, HID, laser, infared?? I am guessing halogen with that type of voltage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HemlockPlotts View Post
    They light up the nite..............I like a bright light when I get out in the dark ...........I custom make the belt batteries..........its for hunting at nite
    as far as i know most LED lights do best with 7 to 12 volt supply, not 21 volt ...

if this is for hunting, just pick up a Fenix TK22 flashlight - its 650 lumens and fits in a pocket. no need for any external batteries.

it you need more power Fenix has bigger lights as well, but the TK22 has the perfect balance of power and ergonomics - fits perfectly in your hand, pocket, or mounts to your rifle.

for your budget of $140 you will be able to get the light, the rechargeable battery for it and the charger. it also includes a holster of sorts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I will get pics up in the next couple days. I already have what I need........just seeing if I could find it other places at a better price. I have a 5 bulb led head like the one in those links hooked up to my 21 volt battery pack that is in a belt form............it will run forever and the brightest light you ever did see! I am not interested in souped up flashlights.............my profession calls for something different. Thanks so far guys!

mtbr member
    I will get pics up in the next couple days. I already have what I need........just seeing if I could find it other places at a better price. I have a 5 bulb led head like the one in those links hooked up to my 21 volt battery pack that is in a belt form............it will run forever and the brightest light you ever did see! I am not interested in souped up flashlights.............my profession calls for something different. Thanks so far guys!
    have you considered trying to qualify your world's brightest 900 lumen light for special Olympics ?

maybe you should start a lighting comedy, i mean company - call it Trololux

you could power your 900 Lumen LED light with a 300 Volt battery from Chevy Volt, or maybe a $1 Million dollar Hydrogen Fuel Cell from Honda FCX, or maybe a small nuclear reactor from Dolphin Class submarine ?

i bet it would be a real hit in "your profession" which clearly isn't biking, and also this is not a Do-It-Yourself forum, which explains why you're here ...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    ANDROGEN,

Not sure what your deal is bud.......I came to a forum seeking advice, not smart alec comments. I apologize for whatever I did to make you become an angry poster towards my comments........I simply stated "my profession" as a thrown around term to as what I use the lights for. Could you tell me what makes a person be rude to a young person seeking advice? Thanks for you taking the time to reply..........whether it be rude or beneficial!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hemlock Plotts

21V - this is Li-Ion ? 5 cells per pack?
    Do you need a floody type of light or long range?
    CNC LED light housing for DIY projects

mtbr member
    Lupine Lighting Systems - Products - Headlight Betty R X14

I have six Lupine's total each put out 4500 lumens at 12v and works perfectly fine. Won them about three months ago with two batts each. I can mount on my bar, fender, trailer, helmet, just any place I want. To me it sounds like you are trying to reinvent something that has no purpose, my lights have no purpose and had I not won them I would have never purchased something this strong.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    zemike the batteries are NiMH...........most of mine are 11 and 15 cells...........I need more of a tight spot long range light........something to focus on an object at a pretty good distance. Thanks!

Ivan67, the brighter the better buddy!!! All of my lights have a purpose........I like to see things at long distances of a nite.........that's about the only purpose though.

mtbr member
    zemike the batteries are NiMH...........most of mine are 11 and 15 cells...........I need more of a tight spot long range light........something to focus on an object at a pretty good distance. Thanks!

Ivan67, the brighter the better buddy!!! All of my lights have a purpose........I like to see things at long distances of a nite.........that's about the only purpose though.
    Mate I live on my bike so I can understand and respect this, but the other night I was out riding around setting small game traps and was thinking just what was Lupine think when they invented this.

Then I realized that once I get down to Italy for the winter, I will bee able to use it as a good gigging light at least. From the sound of it you may have something to market in the fishing industry. I am not being disrespectful, so please do not take it that way just saying that bright is better especially in some kinds of fishing.

Think of all those city people who have hobbies and buy the best **** and never use it, so why shouldn't they have one of these too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    zemike the batteries are NiMH...........most of mine are 11 and 15 cells
    What is the capacity of the battery pack?
    The light head will be mounted on the head?
    Because for throw you need a deep polished reflector and the light head will be 50-60mm long.
    CNC LED light housing for DIY projects

mtbr member
    May 2005
    .I need more of a tight spot long range light........something to focus on an object at a pretty good distance. Thanks!
    Sounds like a good application to use an aspheric lens on. Those generate the longest throw that I have seen.

mtbr member

helllooooooo ....

Fenixlight Limited

2900 Lumens. Self-Contained. Long-Throw.

the new Fenix TK stuff is great. they're closing the gap on SureFire in the quality department and their designs are better.

i have a Fenix TK22 and Fenix LD12, gave my Fenix TK21 to my pops, Sold my Surefire ( it was pretty old ).

the TK22 is a great all-around light. powerful, well made, compact and full featured. TK75 is obviously not going to fit in a pocket, but has 4 times the power.

using Ni-Mh is basically like dragging around lead weights - it's pointless. lithium has several times the power density of Ni-Mh.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I am not interested in a handheld flashlight.

I already have all I need to build my lights, just checking around to see if anybody here could build them cheaper than what I already have in them.

My lights will throw a light around 500 yards and farther........they will last between 4 and 500 hours on a full charge, depending on how bright you burn them.

What I am looking for is an LED head with a cord coming out of the back of it to plug into my battery packs. On the pouch where my batteries are kept, there is a 4 or 5 position switch to control the brightness of the light.

After searching around a little, my lights sell a lot cheaper than most of what I have found. The ones I have used have been no where near as bright as the ones I build.

I am having trouble getting pictures of them on here but still working on it.

P.S. I do have lights for sale.........lol