Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 800L or Wilma

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

800L or Wilma

I have a 600L and a 400L on my helmet. I'm thinking about going to either the 800L on the bars and the 600L on the helmet or just changing out the 600L on the bars or an 800L.

Looks like the 800L is about the same light output in beam shots and measurements as the Wilma.

What should I do? Need to decide shortly, we will start riding in about 3 weeks when the snow melts and the salt gets washed off the road.

J.

BBW
    mtbr member
    I have had DiNotte and they are excellent. You have many chargers and batteries from therm so I would stay with them.
    Now, the Wilma (especially with the 18 degree lens kick arse) its in another category.
    I run 2 Lupines after running DiNottes... Like the color of Lupine better than the blueish DiNotte

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Here's the catch, according to the review here, the 800L comes in the light meter at 55 lux, the Wilma at 56 so that difference is marginal. The 800L is claimed at 800 lumens and the Wilma at 960. They both are supposed to have a 18 degree beam spread.

The beamshots I've seen make them look almost identical. That said, beam shots are not real world so I'm looking for real world comment on them.

Which Dinotte's did you have?

J.

mtbr member
    Most of the new 4 Led systems are quoted as 960 lumen, for example Hope, Exposure & Lupine all say 960.

Each single Led that they use will give about 240 lumen, so 4 would be 960.

Exept in the real world you lose 10% of the light in the optic and each of those lights have 4 optics.

Dinotte are just being honest and all quad LED lights should give around 800 lumen, give or take a bit depening on optic quality or beam pattern.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    got it. so there would be little to no difference between wilma and 800L. so, if I already have dinotte stuff, there is really no advantage whatsoever to going to the wilma.

my thought is that my 400L on the helmet and the 800L on the bars should be great for pretty much anything I see on the trail and also for on the road with my road bike.

Then my son wants to start riding with me at night. so if I set him up with my 600L and a tail light, when the two of us are riding, there ought to be more than enough light for both of us.

J.

mtbr member
    As long as you are happy with the blueish tint from the Dinotte, then just think of the money that you have saved and stay with them. At least they are honest.

I have just built a quad Led system and I could tell everyone that it's 960 lumen but it isn't it's 800 ish.

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by yetibetty
    As long as you are happy with the blueish tint from the Dinotte, then just think of the money that you have saved and stay with them. At least they are honest.

I have just built a quad Led system and I could tell everyone that it's 960 lumen but it isn't it's 800 ish.
    Who's not being honest...?

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80
    Here's the catch, according to the review here, the 800L comes in the light meter at 55 lux, the Wilma at 56 so that difference is marginal. The 800L is claimed at 800 lumens and the Wilma at 960. They both are supposed to have a 18 degree beam spread.

The beamshots I've seen make them look almost identical. That said, beam shots are not real world so I'm looking for real world comment on them.

Which Dinotte's did you have?

J.
    I had the 200L and 600L in spot and wide version. The blueish color is not my favorite, it doesn't have the contrast of warmer tints. The Wilma comes with 15 degree lens FYI, I got the 18 degree as an extra. The color of the Wilma beam is the best and also the heat dissipation is better on the Wilma than Dinotte but... its more $$$

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

No good Lupine

Quote Originally Posted by Todd@gretnabikes
    Who's not being honest...?
    Lupine's are liars. Both Betty and Wilma inflated by 60% the amount of light given. Betty has 982 lumens, Wilma 566 lumens. Measured in the professional lab.

Please look also to the runtime.
    "Wilma 5" 3hours @ 17W = 3h*17W= 51 Wh, but the real capacity of the batterypack is over 30% less (5Ah*7,2V=36Wh minus the losses, for example on the connectors).
    This means over 30% less light than the state. The same is true with Betty.

Go for Dinotte's.

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by czarny_kruk
    Lupine's are liars. Both Betty and Wilma inflated by 60% the amount of light given. Betty has 982 lumens, Wilma 566 lumens. Measured in the professional lab.

"Wilma 5" 3hours @ 17W = 3h*17W= 51 Wh, but the real capacity of the batterypack is over 30% less (5Ah*7,2V=36Wh minus the losses, for example on the connectors).

Go for Dinotte's.
    Wow, those are some pretty bold statements...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I would not have said it quite that way, t but I think he is referring to Lupine and others using the number as the power into the led under ideal circumstances, before the optics as the light produced when in reality, the user really cares about the actual light that exits the optics (which would be less).

I would agree with the notion that the light out of the optics is what is important, anything before that is pretty much to generate marketing hype and a less useful spec.

J.

BBW
    mtbr member

Go for Dinotte's.
    Another one of those "hate something even if it's the best"
    Measure whatever you want and use the numbers that you want, Lupine is on of the best light out there for many reasons that I'm not even going to start writing because I don't care. I'm happy with the both of them I have

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Agreed that Lupine is one of the best. No doubt. I think the question in specification is what the issue is.

I'm very tempted to buy one of the Wilmas.

J.

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    I think it's official. You can't mention Lupine on mtbr without getting hated on...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Go with the Dinotte; they don't whine when you point out simple facts about their lights.

BBW
    mtbr member
    I think it's official. You can't mention Lupine on mtbr without getting hated on...
    Yeap, this has become a DIY place. People don't talk about good lights anymore... the world is coming to an end
    I will keep the Lupine route though, works for me

mtbr member
    No not at all, I was having a play with one the other day in a bike shop and you do get quality conectors, well made housing and above all for me a nice tint... etc...

Just pointing out that a quad, single die LED system will give OUT around 800/850 lumen and that is why the Dinnote is called the 800L.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    Yeap, this has become a DIY place. People don't talk about good lights anymore... the world is coming to an end
    I will keep the Lupine route though, works for me
    Yes it is funny how much this forum has changed this last year. DIY is great if you enjoy the work and have the time and skills. But for me I don't think I would enjoy the work and don't have any free time so DIY for me is not an option. After all time is money and it takes time to build your own light and if you were to pay yourself for the hours you put in then a DIY project would get expensive. But those who enjoy DIY probably don't consider building a light work like I would. BTW I am still loving my Lupines.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80
    I have a 600L and a 400L on my helmet. I'm thinking about going to either the 800L on the bars and the 600L on the helmet or just changing out the 600L on the bars or an 800L.

Looks like the 800L is about the same light output in beam shots and measurements as the Wilma.

What should I do? Need to decide shortly, we will start riding in about 3 weeks when the snow melts and the salt gets washed off the road.

J.
    Let's see: you already have a decent set of lights. Are you not happy with them? Why the rush?
    If you look around these forums you'll see what all the DIYers out there are currently raving about:
    1. 4x/8x/12x/etc XPE configurations (because of the XPE's small size)
    2. Dual/Tri/Quad/etc MCE/P7 configs with boom and other "exotic" reflectors(!)
    So you can expect companies like Lupine and Dinotte to follow suit: they'll all have lights like these in the next 3-5 years. I believe there's gonna be another revolution soon; the first one happened when LEDs first became bright enough for serious bike trashing (~200 lumens per die), that's what you can buy today generally in the 200-400$ range. These lights are typically between 400-800 lumens (real output or whatever), and are bright enough for pretty much any kind of use (including fast DH).
    I think the next era is going to be characterized by the following types:
    1. Lights with similar brightness and power consumption, but half the size (or even less) ideal for helmet mounting
    2. Lights with 1/2/3/4... MCE/P7 chips for unprecedented brightness
    3. Lights with maybe a single P7 but using special reflectors to fine-tune the beam shape (early birds of this line are the Lupine Tesla and the L&M Seca)
    4. Lights with whatever emitter but with custom reflectors and power sources: eg. dyno-powered lights.
    And I don't even know what's in the labs of the LED factories - LEDs with better lumen/watt ratio? Even smaller size? Or both?

Anyway, the point is, if you currently have "first generation" lights today, I see no reason for buying some more just to get more light. I don't think the investment would be worth it. Why not wait until the second generation starts to appear, then you can decide whether you'll buy the first gen at a reduced price, or pay for novelty. Things usually get interesting in the autumn, when most companies release their new lights...

Just my 0.02$ though.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    wow - why so much hate towards Lupine? I haven't been on the light forum in a while but decided to stop by since I've also been thinking about getting a Wilma.

I dunno - I have two Lupine's which I use 3-4 times a week for night rides and absolutely love them. a friend of mine just got a wilma and it's a super sweet light. if I got a Wilma I could finally retire my Edison.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Lupine's are liars........Go for Dinotte's.

Lupine's what are liars? Go for Dinotte's what?

Are you using the possessive form for a particular reason?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    This late in the season, I'd wait until Fall when the new lights come out. As the man said, you have already some pretty good light, and daylight saving starts this weekend.

On another point, if you are happy w/ Dinotte, just for simplicity's sake, stick w/ Dinotte. Same charger,same batteries for all - simplify your life. Never used a Lupine. I'm sure that they are fine lights, but so are Dinottes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    That may be the ticket. I was just looking at sunset times so that may make sense. That said, you can get some incredible deals right now. I'm pretty close to having all the light I want - I think that 800 lumens with my 400L will probably do it.

J.

mtbr member
    For the record...waiting to buy lights in the fall is the worst idea I've ever heard. As soon as the days start to shorten, EVERYONE decides it's time to buy new lights. Best time to buy lights is in the middle of the winter. No one is riding due to bad weather. Good deals can be had because the manufactures are already planning their next upgrades and are trying to get rid of their over-stock.
    Now back to the original subject:

JohnJ80 wrote:

From your comment it looks as though you are looking to upgrade to a brighter helmet light. The 600L as you know makes a mighty fine bar light. Before buying something else I would suggest putting the 400L on the bars ( one wide, one narrow optic ) and try using the 600L on the helmet to see if you like it. I too own a 600L but I never did like how it worked on the helmet. My opinion was that the beam caused too much glare for helmet use. Not to mention that there is still not enough throw from the 600L to make it a noteworthy helmet light. Nevertheless, your opinion might differ. TRY before BUY I say.
    If your opinion turns out to be similar to mine then I suggest keeping the 600L on the bars and then search out a decent helmet light. Since the Dinotte 800L is designed to be a bar lamp I think it best to look outside the Dinotte line if looking for a brighter helmet lamp.
    Of all the light systems I've seen out there I think the Lupine Tesla is probably one of the best suited for helmet use. This is also the opinion of James on GearReview.com . It is very bright with lots of throw. From the beam photos I've seen I'm very impressed with the Tesla. This is not to say that the Betty wouldn't work as well. The Tesla is a more compact package and is also not as over-priced ( IMO ) as the other Lupines. Lastly, I'd also recommend the lamp that I bought for my helmet to compliment my 600L bar mounted. It is the Lumen8R ( quad Cree R-2 ) from HIDtech. This is nice compact Aussie made light system that is tailor-made for helmet use. Output is in the 800-900lm range ( actual output ) ( IMO ). It also throws a good 200+ft. It is also very well priced for such a bright light. For more info on the Lumen8R you can check out the review I did a while back . This is the link > Review: HIDTechnologies-Lumen8r-LED Quad Lighting System Note: prices on the HIDTech site are in AUD. You will need to convert to compare prices. ( *edit* OMG....the current AUD to USD currency conversion makes buying the LM8R a steal! Just keep in mind if you decide on the LM8R you have shipping fees and more than likely a conversion fee from your credit card company. Still, it beats anything else out there that I know of price wise. )
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 03-06-2009 at 01:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Errrmmmm get the PhotonMax Extreme is it, 1350lumens for $369 I think I saw it as, 2 x MC-E's and a R2 to boost the range, only downside is I think the switch is on the battery so bike mounted only

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast