Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

500 Lumen Tail Light

Nitelights 500 Lumen Tail Light - Dept of Adventure

Couldn't resist posting this one

Its been a long time in the making however its now available.

You want Mega Bright on the front!

Now have Mega Bright on the back!

Three lights on special at $50 USD including shipping if you want to do an independent review.

PM me if you want one to review
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 500 Lumen Tail Light-img_2320.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hey I can't seem to send you a PM but I'd like to take you up on your offer.
    I have a couple of other lights I could compare it to- the Radbot and the Dinotte.
    You can email me back: munchydoan at yahoo
    Thanks,
    Chuong

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Just my .02....it looks like you made an effort to insure there is no light from the side. That's not what I look for in a tail light.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have to admit, I like that there is a mode for one light steady on and the other flashing. I'll await the reviews before jumping on it... but I've definitely been waiting for a tail light like this in my price range.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Just my .02....it looks like you made an effort to insure there is no light from the side. That's not what I look for in a tail light.
    Good point!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I don't think this so-called "taillight" is worth $50. Heck, I don't think it's even worth $5.

But it is a good laugh.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Its good to see a gradual progression and effort on the part of some manufacturers to actually pursue an interest in the production of rear lights. Simple $20 blinkys just don't cut it anymore especially when you consider commuting conditions in this day and age.

Yes, some designs might be inherently better than others but in the end its what is built upon with future improvements that is important. I'm sure I'm not the only one who was amazed when elastomer shocks were 1st introduced back in the 80s (perhaps not the younger folk) and just look how far suspension technology has come today.....

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by lalato View Post
    but I've definitely been waiting for a tail light like this in my price range.
    How much is your life worth? Just $50?

Do yourself a favor and get the Desighsnine DS-500. If they are all sold out, get the DiNotte 400R.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    im riding with 2 Portland design works danger zone facing the rear and cheapos for the side. I can be seen from a good distance even in fog.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw View Post
    Its good to see a gradual progression and effort on the part of some manufacturers to actually pursue an interest in the production of rear lights.
    Really?

What I see there is a pathetic front light on which some idiot has slapped a vulgar piece of red acrylic. That's not a taillight. That's a joke. Actually, a scan since the idiot in question is trying to sell those "taillights" for $109.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    - EDITED -

Dbl post from below, sorry.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Azra View Post
    Really?

What I see there is a pathetic front light on which some idiot has slapped a vulgar piece of red acrylic. That's not a taillight. That's a joke. Actually, a scan since the idiot in question is trying to sell those "taillights" for $109.
    ^^^ I'm referring to the overall bike light industry in general, not Nitelights as a single manufacturer. ^^^

It's apparent not everyone can bust out a Pethelman!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw View Post
    ^^^ I'm referring to the overall bike light industry in general, not Niterider as a single manufacturer ^^^
    Well, where are those new taillights? I'm aware of only two well-designed, super-bright taillights that I feel are good enough for me to entrust with my life: the legendary DiNotte 400R and the even better Designshine DS-500.

If there is something out there that's even better and cost less money to boot, I'd love to know about it. Please tell!

Edit: there's also the AftaBlasta which looks interesting and should offer 360-degree visibility, but I haven't seen it myself or been able to find a comparative review.
    Last edited by Azra; 08-24-2011 at 11:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Azra, those are good points. Right now I just have a blinky... so anything would be an improvement. As I noted above, I'll wait for some reviews before I buy anything. I've seen the DesignShine, it's pretty impressive. Saving my money as we speak, but it's slow going. Life happens.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    If there is something out there that's even better and cost less money to boot, I'd love to know about it. Please tell!
    Re read post. I stated emphasis on rear light advancement is a welcomed progression that is gradually picking up speed. I'm all for this. Moving on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by munchydoan View Post
    Hey I can't seem to send you a PM but I'd like to take you up on your offer.
    I have a couple of other lights I could compare it to- the Radbot and the Dinotte.
    You can email me back: munchydoan at yahoo
    Thanks,
    Chuong
    Get in contact with us at info@deptofadventure.com

Cheers

Kel

mtbr member
    Really?

I am afraid you are wrong my friend.

This light has been designed as a tail light only.

The LED's are actually RED, not WHITE.

We have tested White light with a red lens and the reduction in light output was significant.

We then tested the RED LED's with different colours of lens until we were happy with the very aggressive nature of the red light being emitted.

We have had the RED LED's manufactured as a custom order and this has taken a significant investment.

The drivers have also been custom designed and manufactured for us.

This is very different technology compared to the lights you mention.

What is a $109 investment when your life is on the line.

We have tested these all year in New Zealand in very tough conditions. Even many hours mountain biking!

Our first shipments hit the market and were sold out immediately in New Zealand and Australia.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lalato View Post
    I have to admit, I like that there is a mode for one light steady on and the other flashing. I'll await the reviews before jumping on it... but I've definitely been waiting for a tail light like this in my price range.
    That was an important issue in the design.

We discovered that by having one light steady, the other flashing allows the motorist to get a proper perception of distance

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nitelights View Post

Which is why it has no side visibility whatsoever. Great.

I've challenged you once. I'm challenging you again. Send me that light on a NET 30 invoice. If it comes anywhere near the DS-500, I'll immediately pay you $109.

mtbr member
    Which is why it has no side visibility whatsoever. Great.

I've challenged you once. I'm challenging you again. Send me that light on a NET 30 invoice. If it comes anywhere near the DS-500, I'll immediately pay you $109.
    Sir,

We don't know you from a bar of soap and notice you joined MTBR only recently so don't think you have much credibility to be an expert tester.

The offer is on the table at $50, with the option of returning the unit for a full refund if required

Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The bar of soap would still like to know what happened to side visibility, if that's not asking for too much.

A few weeks ago I posted a video of the 400R and DS-500 from a 90 degree angle. Why don't you show us a video of your "taillight" from the side so we can all see that wonder with our own eyes?

mtbr member
    The bar of soap would still like to know what happened to side visibility, if that's not asking for too much.

A few weeks ago I posted a video of the 400R and DS-500 from a 90 degree angle. Why don't you show us a video of your "taillight" from the side so we can all see that wonder with our own eyes?
    Will see what we can do for you tonight. From our experience videos and pictures don't do justice. Proof is in seeing the performance in the flesh.

That's why we offer a 30 day full money back gaurantee

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nitelights View Post

The LED's are actually RED, not WHITE.

We have tested White light with a red lens and the reduction in light output was significant.

We then tested the RED LED's with different colours of lens until we were happy with the very aggressive nature of the red light being emitted.

We have had the RED LED's manufactured as a custom order and this has taken a significant investment.

The drivers have also been custom designed and manufactured for us.

This is very different technology compared to the lights you mention.

What is a $109 investment when your life is on the line.

We have tested these all year in New Zealand in very tough conditions. Even many hours mountain biking!

Our first shipments hit the market and were sold out immediately in New Zealand and Australia.
    Cool idea... but there are a few things that just don't seem right here...
    250 REAL RED lumens from a single emitter? Come on... seriously? Clearly, from the picture of the product, the design is based on single emitters, NOT an arrayed emitter like the MC-E.

The only production die from CREE at the moment in RED are the older XR-C, XP-C and the latest XP-E
    CREE | XLamp LEDs, leading the revolution in lighting

CREE has two color bins that could be considered "RED"
    1) RED in the 610 to 620 nano-meter wavelength spectrum
    2) RED-Orange in the 620 to 630 nano-meter wavelength spectrum

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, the highest lumen rated group out of that whole bunch is the "P3 - RED/ORANGE." Rated at 73.9 lumens at 350mA. The max current drive for the die is 700mA, at which point you have now boosted the lumen output by approximately 190 percent.

So, 73.9 * 1.9 = 147.8 lumens. The highest output XP-E die in the RED category is the "N3" bin at 56.8 * 1.9 = 113.6.

And this is all before we go through the exercise on heating losses.

http://www.ledsupply.com/docs/XLampXP-E-1.pdf

Now, considering that it's a MAJOR news release from CREE when we move to the next technology (say XM-L vs. XP-G), where there is a modest 20% increase in efficiency, I find it HIGHLY unusual that we would not have heard that there has been some sort of quantum breakthrough for a RED LED putting out a WHOPPING 67% increase over the previous benchmark. Especially since it's been out long enough for you to sell "30000 worldwide."

Secondly,
    It makes no sense whatsoever to put a red filter over a RED LED. It serves NO purpose whatsoever unless you are using some sort of non-RED emitter. In other words, let's say you didn't like the color of your RED/ORANGE emitter and you put a red filter over it. Guess what, you just knocked down the lumen count.

And while we're at it...
    From the web site: "the light shines down towards the road so as not to blind the motorist but can still be seen well over a mile away!"
    I'm confused as to why you would want to concentrate your world-record LEDs down towards the road. No one needs anywhere near a 500 lumen taillight at night, so clearly the only reason for marketing it as such, would be for daytime use. In that case, you absolutely want your hard earned lumens pointing directly at the eyes of the traffic coming at you. At night, you would prefer to reduce the power output to preserve run-time, rather than aiming it at the road, if you could avoid it. There's no mention of brightness control on the website. And if that's the case, then OK, maybe the natural angle down on the seat post makes sense. Just doesn't seem to be the best use of that "significant investment" with CREE when considering that a lot of folks looking for a high powered taillight want it for daytime use.

And just as a note of usability... (from the web site). A 100Hz flash rate? Holy cow. Make sure you include a warning that this light may induce seizures. I hope there's a slower flash rate as well.

Not saying it's not a bright light, just saying it's a far cry from the ideal daytime taillight and I'm calling foul on the 500 lumen claim until we see some official CREE datasheets. And at what time they are ever produced, I will stand happily corrected. And just to be clear, I do see innovation here, and a good attempt at filling the price/performance void between the $25 flasher and the $250 flame thrower. I think the innovative use of the "orange peel" reflectors (albeit small), will likely produce a good amount of usable light at wider angles (obviously nothing at 90, but few do). It just chaps my hide to see wildly unsubstantiated claims in advertising on the total lumen count.

Purely my opinion and two cents worth.
    Last edited by pethelman; 08-26-2011 at 12:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    hypercritical !
    you guys, it all might be true. no further comment necessary !

non the less, I give kudos, for bringing out a tail light.

with all the flaws, what counts, that it works, and people like it.
    and it has a big feature, from a wired light, it won't run out of small AAA.
    It's probably also better waterproof, or better switch, etc.

the best , is also the simple stuff, put those stupid reflectors back on.
    the fancy stuff, is the reflective 3M tape, you can get it even in black.

for brightness, well, super bright is not necessary the best. otherwise, we be driving with high-beams,
    and blinding others. as such, don't like too bright of tail lights, especially sitting at the traffic light.
    if it is too bright, you'd only see the light, one of many on the road.
    .... sharp shooter camo,.... wipe out the head-should triangle, and human recognition goes down the toilet. so those funky string christmas lights on the bike, make the bike rider, recognizable ,
    as a bike rider, what makes the brain click.
    one super bright tail light, where it's so bright, that you can't see the bike rider behind it, does not necessary serve the purpose. Streets are full of lights, and with traffic, also moving.
    It's the head-shoulder, it's the round wheels with reflectors, it's the bike triangle, what makes the brain recognize.
    so what's my DIY or best pick. well , do like those truck/school bus tail LED's.
    found the smallest 2" , does not have super duper side spill, but works, and is DOT approved.
    note: grew up in germany,... and approved tail light is mandatory.
    a super-bright non approved one, be getting you pulled over and a ticket.
    just some food for thought .
    oh, maybe I should review it, but my light runs on 4s battery, so 12-17V be a must.
    ideal 6-17V, that would cover 2s, 3s, and 4s bike batteries.
    cheers, Rob

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rschultz101 View Post
    note: grew up in germany,... and approved tail light is mandatory. a super-bright non approved one, be getting you pulled over and a ticket.
    Apples and oranges. I too happen to have grown up in that neck of the woods and I know one thing for sure: people in Germany do not drive like in the US, especially not around bicyclists.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast