Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

4 x XML - 4000 lumen chinese light - anyonr tried one???

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    They are are already selling 5x xml.
    5000LM 5X CREE XML T6 LED Bicycle Bike Headlamp Headlight Torch Light 6x18650 | eBay

I haven't seen any reviews of the either one. I can't imagine that they are driving the led's very hard, since they would probably get red hot.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I would also like to see a review of these lights.
    But until so I remain sceptical, mainly because of the strange looking reflectors in the middle of 4x-light,
    and the whole central reflector in the 5x-light.

/Hkan
    SWEDEN

mtbr member
    I understand that 5XML is a utilitarian object, but does it have to be so ugly? That square centre reflector looks like the deformed offspring of its circular companions. I can stand the glowing green on/off button, but this crosses a line.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Is that battery for the 5xT6 gonna be enough?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by James Bass View Post
    There is so much fiction in the ebay description that the only part I would believe is that the housing is aluminum!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    There is so much fiction in the ebay description that the only part I would believe is that the housing is aluminum!
    kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk True that!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    The old 4 x 18650 config, wont make up for the task. Good news is that DX sells just the headlight. So you can buy the battery pack you like to use with it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I purchased a 4x XM-L light from ebay, very similar to that second link (Rechargeable 4 x CREE XML-T6 LED Bicycle Light and Headlight 4000LM 3 Modes - Cree XML T6 Bike Light - Lights-box.com).

It only works for 3 minutes in max, before changing automatically to min.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by romaosl View Post
    I purchased a 4x XM-L light from ebay, very similar to that second link (Rechargeable 4 x CREE XML-T6 LED Bicycle Light and Headlight 4000LM 3 Modes - Cree XML T6 Bike Light - Lights-box.com).

Is that when you are standing still or when you are riding? What the air temperature when this happens?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Is that when you are standing still or when you are riding? What the air temperature when this happens?
    It happens when I'm riding at about 12 degrees Celsius.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by James Bass View Post
    This battery can surely do the job;

It is the best battery for the price so far, sold by a USA seller, with a great guaranteed capacity, recomended for the triple and quad led lights.

Here it is, with 12400 mah, and compact size and just 37 bucks! Check it out:

USA 8 4V 7 4V Battery Pack for CREE XML T6 SSC P7 12400mAh Capacity Guaranteed | eBay

mtbr member

That is a real drag to say the least but I'm not sure that if someone else bought one from someplace like D/X that they would have the same issue. Three minutes before auto power-down is exceedingly quick. My gut tells me somethings got to be wrong with the one you have. Sadly, no way to be sure unless someone else buys one and then posts up.

romaosl, does the one you have use led indicators ( for battery run time ) and does it have 3 steady modes ( H-M-L ) ??

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    romaosl, does the one you have use led indicators ( for battery run time ) and does it have 3 steady modes ( H-M-L ) ??
    It have a green led in the on/off button. I don't know if it changes color with the battery capacity, because the max time that I use it was about 1.5 hours in mid (in mid, there is no problem).

The light has 3 modes, H-M-L. No flashing mode.

I already purchased on ebay some thermal grease, to try to improve the thermal dissipation.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It happens when I'm riding at about 12 degrees Celsius.
    That's pretty cold. I was thinking of buying one until you described your problems. Seems like a bad design

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I made a little picture to exemplify the "bad design" thing.

Name:  4x_xml_t6.PNG
Views: 2939
Size:  3.2 KB

• Black - Light Frame
    • Yellow - Optic
    • Blue - XM-L T6 Led
    • Red - Aluminum cylinder with an aluminum disc at the top (electronics are inside cylinder, and the 4 LED are in the top aluminum disc)
    • Green/Pink - On/Off Button

The problem (i think) is that there is very little contact between the disc where the LEDs are and the frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Sounds plausible to me. Also, I think that disc needs to be pretty thick, especially with 4 leds. I don't think these guys do any thermal engineering.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    The disc is about 2mm thick.

mtbr member
    ...said in response to my question: Does the light have indicator LED's?

It have a green led in the on/off button. I don't know if it changes color with the battery capacity, because the max time that I use it was about 1.5 hours in mid (in mid, there is no problem).

The light has 3 modes, H-M-L. No flashing mode.

I already purchased on ebay some thermal grease, to try to improve the thermal dissipation.
    I would think that after an hour you would of seen the green led turn to blue if indeed the lamp has voltage indicators ( if using a 4-cell battery ).

mtbr member

Upcoming Review: D/X Quad XM-L lamp

Hi Folks,

A quad XM-L lamp has arrived from D/X that I will be reviewing shortly. This week I'm on a graveyard shift but I should get a chance to do a quick "Shine around" with the lamp to give a quick preliminary evaluation when I get home tomorrow morning ( AM ). So far just shining it around inside my home I can say it is truly bright. I'll not say more till I do some comparative testing.

Disclaimer:

I was approached by D/X and asked if I wanted to review one of several of their bike lights. I wrote back telling them I was willing to review the Ultrafire Quad XM-L lamp. They agreed and sent me a quad lamp but I don't think it is the Ultrafire because it only has 3 modes ( H-L-strobe ). The Ultrafire version was likely sold out so they sent the next best thing. Nevertheless I will review the lamp and give an honest opinion. No money was paid for the lamp as it was provided by the vendor for review purposes.

mtbr member

Quick review and comparison: D/X Quad XML vs. Tri-Clone ( triple XML ) part 1

My initial impression when I took the Quad out for a quick "shine around";
    On high, not bad at all. Perhaps a little brighter than the Tri-clone but not by much. The low beam on the Quad is a bit disappointing. Good enough for a slow fire road climb but not enough output for medium speeds IMO. Beam pattern for the quad is very similar to the Tri-clone but the quad seems to have a more intense center area. Don't get me wrong, this is not a spot lamp but it does offer a good mix of flood and throw. On high this would make a nice light on the bars.

The lamp itself is a little heavier than the tri-clone. I will weigh it tomorrow at work if I remember to think about it. The reflector is a little deeper than the Tri-clone and slightly wider. The Tri-clone might actually have the wider beam but I need to comfirm that. Either way the difference would be very slight.

Right now I'm on a late shift which means I don't have lots of time to do everything I need to do so pardon me if the review drags on a bit.
    Tonight ( this morning actually ) when I got home I did do a thermal shoot-out between the Quad and Tri. I'll post the figures on that comparison as soon as I get more time. Without letting the "cat out of the bag", the results are going to surprise some.

One tid-bit before I call it a night...

...5M lux comparison to Quad Vs. Tri-clone...( both lamps on High)

Quad XM-L.......500 lux
    Tri-clone..........455 lux

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Looking forward to it. Is it the same light that romaosl has? Because that one is not so good, to put it mildly.

Do you get to keep the light from DX after your review?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Looking forward to it. Is it the same light that romaosl has? Because that one is not so good, to put it mildly.

Do you get to keep the light from DX after your review?
    No, it's not the same one that romaosl has. I wanted one like his that is why I requested the Ultrafire quad XM-L with 4-mode. Unfortunately when you don't buy the lamp you get what they give you. ( Yes, I do get to keep the lamp ).

I'm not sure yet if the one I have has any thermal monitoring circuitry. The thermal testing I did last night showed no indication of any but then again I was using a fan while testing. I also don't know if the lamp I have has voltage indicators.. I hope to have the answer to both those questions when I come home tonight ( early AM ) to continue the testing. Anyway, I hope to post the results of the thermal testing when I come home after work. ( I'd do it now but I'm pressed for time ).

mtbr member

Quad XM-L vs. Tri-Clone Thermal Shoot-out

Room temperature at the start of the test was 73F / 22.7C. Starting temp on the quad was 75F/23.8C. Starting temp on the Tri-Clone was 72.3F / 22.3C. A small 1 ft. fan was used on medium at a 1M distance for lite cooling. Readings taken with a digital infrared thermometer.

..........Quad XM-L......................Tri-Clone.........................

1-min.....78F / 25.5C..>>...77.9F / 25.5C

2-min.....82F / 27.7C..>>...85.6F / 29.7C

3-min....86.5F / 30.3C..>...92F / 33.3C

4-min....91F / 32.7C..>>..101.4F / 38.5C

5-min....94.4F / 34.6C..>>...107.4F / 41.8C

6-min...98.7F / 37C.....>>....111F / 43.9C

7-min...101F / 115C....>>....115F / 46C

8-min...104F / 40C......>>....117.5F / 47.5C

9-min...106F / 41C.......>>....119.6F / 48.6C

10-min..109F / 42.7C....>>....122F / 50C

11-min..109F / 42.7C....>>....123F / 50.5C

12-min..110F / 43.3C....>>....123.5F / 50.8C

13-min..110.6F / 43.6C..>>....124.8F / 51.5C

14-min..111.5F / 44.2C...>>...125F / 51.6C

15-min..111F / 43.8C......>>....125F / 51.6C
    The Quad with it's heavier weight seems to not heat as fast. This surprised me. After 10 minutes it barely seemed warm. The Tri-clone after 15 minutes was too hot to touch. In a previous test the MagicShine 808E turned off with it's thermal switch at the same temp. ( 51.6C ) When I turned the Quad off after the test I was also surprised that it cooled very fast. Perhaps there is more to the Quad than meets the eye. If it only had a medium ( 60% power ) mode...

More tests to come....

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Surprising results! So the quad is cooler and brighter.

By the way, do you have a link to the exact dx product?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast