Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    So that's a pretty good battery life for a 4 led unit, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
    yeah mine is definitely hi - mid - lo - off and 3 sec hold for fast strobe. holding ony makes it strobe not turn off. Off is part of the cycle through lo,mid,hi,off.
    I don't care for having to cycle through off, but it's seems to be somewhat common on these inexpensive lights. I think the manufacturers just use flashlight drivers, where it doesn't matter as much. I suppose you get used to it. At least the strobe is hidden.

Ok, thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yes, I'm pretty sure you are right about the driver selection.

It would only take a small change in programming to skip the off position unless a special actuation of the switch were used. Kind of like how all the cheap lights used to cycle through the strobe, now you press and hold for a couple seconds to get the strobe. Press and hold for 5 seconds for off????

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Yes, I'm pretty sure you are right about the driver selection.

It would only take a small change in programming to skip the off position unless a special actuation of the switch were used. Kind of like how all the cheap lights used to cycle through the strobe, now you press and hold for a couple seconds to get the strobe. Press and hold for 5 seconds for off????
    You're right about the programming, it's such a small but crucial difference. Someone on the 18 page single-xml-light thread actually replaced the microcontroller and reprogrammed the light to work they way he wanted it. If you could do something like that you could with this light than you could fix all the problems with the UI. You could even add modes, makes a custom flash mode etc.

The press and hold for strobe isn't ideal either. I just pulled out my magicshine 808 from action led which has the strobe mode hidden. It takes a three second hold to turn the light off, and if you hold it another 2 seconds (for a total of 5 seconds) the strobe turns on. It's not ideal if you actually want use the strobe during a night ride as you will be sitting in the dark for two seconds.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'll get the beam shots in a couple of days when I have access to a manual camera. The modes are fine for me, I ride singletrack from 1-3hrs and will only have it on high power so I won't be cycling through, I can see how that would be an issue for people though. If I hit fire trail I'll drop the power to give me longer life.

I just need battery that will last 3 hrs on high as this one is 1.5hrs on the dot in three tests. I'll be riding tonight for the 1st time with it. I was hoping the SS X2 had arrived but aliexpress is taking way longer than DX to Australia.

I reckon I'll just buy a pre made pack and save the build for another time. Would the connections on the Action LED (Gemini etc) fit my light?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    so I tried some beam shots but my camera would only allow me to go as low as ISO 200. Not sure how that affects things. It's the best I could do lightwise while at work but there's probably too much reflection from the fence.

I received the SSX2 yesterday and it's the 8.4V 4 mode and black shrink wrapped batts. Haven't checked the duration of the battery as I just received two new batterys from Xeccon which were really quick in arrival and great service thanks to Leonard. Definitely a big difference in quality of the cells and workmanship between xeccon and the supplied batts with the ultrafire (clone) and X2. I noticed a difference between the two LED's in the SSX2 and i'm hoping its not a defect but that maybe the optics are different in each one to provide more spread or spot?? can anyone clarify that or should they be identical?

The X2 has overheat protection and dropped to lo when I had it running indoors with no fan within 10min. both have identical modes:
    low -mid - high - off and 3 sec hold for strobe.
    You cycle through off to repeat and they both turn on with low mode

They both provide good spread and a plenty of light but I reckon i'd like more of a spot on the helmet. I guess I could swap the optics in the X2 as the ultrafire is too big for the helmet. I'm yet to ride in the bush with them and will do that on Friday so i'll update then.

The order of the pics show the SSX2 on high 4xml ultra on med- low-- high and witches hats are at distance of 20m,40m and 50m
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4 x XML - 4000 lumen chinese light - anyonr tried one???-x2-high-640x426-.jpg  

4 x XML - 4000 lumen chinese light - anyonr tried one???-ultra-med-640x426-.jpg  

4 x XML - 4000 lumen chinese light - anyonr tried one???-ultra-low-640x426-.jpg  

4 x XML - 4000 lumen chinese light - anyonr tried one???-ultra-high-640x426-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Nice beamshots. Thanks for doing those. It looks to be much brighter than the SSX2 with a broader beam. A real light blaster.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Nice beamshots. Thanks for doing those. It looks to be much brighter than the SSX2 with a broader beam. A real light blaster.
    no worries but as I said i'm not sure if the SSX2 has a fault or not. The utrafire puts out more light and is broader, great for the bars I think. I'll have to do a battery life test with the tobest 6000 mAh from xeccon tonight, I think that will be a good combo. i'd like to switch one of the optics in the SSX2 for more of a spot but I don't know it that's easily achievable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Very nice pics. Beauty of a beam that 4x puts out. SSX2 is no slouch either. Pretty good throw as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steelhmr View Post
    Very nice pics. Beauty of a beam that 4x puts out. SSX2 is no slouch either. Pretty good throw as well.
    If the first photo is the photo of the SS X2 on high to me it looks like the lamp is pointed down too far. My bet is that it has more throw than the photo revealed. Those quad lamps are pretty nice. As long as you have a good battery and can find a way to keep it from moving around on the bars it can work.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    If the first photo is the photo of the SS X2 on high to me it looks like the lamp is pointed down too far. My bet is that it has more throw than the photo revealed. Those quad lamps are pretty nice. As long as you have a good battery and can find a way to keep it from moving around on the bars it can work.
    yep i agree on the angle but i couldn't take anymore as the battery went flat in the camera. I reckon the X2 is maybe 80% of the quad in brightness and throw.

Had the Quad on for 3hrs with the tobest xeecon 6000 battery last night and it was still on blue battery level. got bored but guessing 3.5 is the life

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Does anyone use those lights helmet-mounted, or they're too big/heavy for that ? DX says the light can be mounted on handlebars and helmet, but "can" doesn't mean its going to be comfortable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I reckon its way too big a profile IMO that's why I got the SSX2 for the helmet. Also i reckon i want more spot than this one provides on the helmet

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How do the low-mid-high modes work on these 4X lights, do they shut off individual LEDs, or do they cut power to all 4 simultaneously?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zuuds View Post
    How do the low-mid-high modes work on these 4X lights, do they shut off individual LEDs, or do they cut power to all 4 simultaneously?
    On mine, the power is reduced on all four LEDs. They are not individually shut off.

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Usually LEDs are wired in series and current is supplied/reduced to all LEDs simultaneously.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kir View Post
    Usually LEDs are wired in series and current is supplied/reduced to all LEDs simultaneously.
    Except for the 3 xml lights, some of those come with the weird turn-on one led at a time drivers. But you know that because you own all of the lights!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Except for the 3 xml lights, some of those come with the weird turn-on one led at a time drivers. But you know that because you own all of the lights!
    That's why I asked, I read about that issue in the 3 XML light thread and was wondering it applied to the 4's as well.

I'm thinking about picking up a Nitefire NFC-41, which seems to be the latest and greatest iteration - XML-U2's, battery indicator, and looks the business. The glass lens looks pretty vulnerable though. As someone pointed out in the other thread, it's held on by screws, which seems like it could crack over time. (Maybe some teeny tiny O-rings or plastic washers could address that though.) Also, the edges of the lens are exposed by the crenulations in the bezel- seems easy to chip or crack, and I wonder if that would let dust get into the reflectors.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Had a look at the light on eBay from the link on the previous page. Price is down to $52.98, but shipping is $199.99, but goes down to a slightly less ridiculous $149.99.

Light looks good though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rideitall View Post
    shipping is $199.99
    Say what?!?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zuuds View Post
    That's why I asked, I read about that issue in the 3 XML light thread and was wondering it applied to the 4's as well.

I'm thinking about picking up a Nitefire NFC-41, which seems to be the latest and greatest iteration - XML-U2's, battery indicator, and looks the business. The glass lens looks pretty vulnerable though. As someone pointed out in the other thread, it's held on by screws, which seems like it could crack over time. (Maybe some teeny tiny O-rings or plastic washers could address that though.) Also, the edges of the lens are exposed by the crenulations in the bezel- seems easy to chip or crack, and I wonder if that would let dust get into the reflectors.
    Yeah, I don't like how that lens attaches. I would much rather have a ring or something that screws down and hold the lens down. That's a more time tested method.

These quads are all about heat management, in my opinion. The quad that Cat reviewed was very good in that respect. This NFC-41 has some nice cooling fins, but you don't know if there is a good thermal path between the leds and the outside case. As Kir and others have shown, that is the downfall of these cheap lights. Looks good on the outside, bad on the inside. It's a $60 gamble.

For me the point of getting a triple, or a quad, would be to get a both a brighter and more flood-like beam. I want an even beam with no artifacts.

Others want a super focused, super bright, super thrower for high speed riding. Both are valid approaches.

But the Chinese manufactures aren't really thinking about this, in my opinion. They are just making more lights with more leds in order to outdo each other and to get your $50 bucks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    If anybody interested I just got 5 xlm t6 light from amazon
    SecurityIng® 6000LM 5 x CREE XM-L T6 LED Waterproof 3 Modes Bicycle Light Headlamp, CREE LED Bicycle/Bike Lamp Headlight, Portable Rechargeable Bicycle LED Flashlight with 8000mAh Battery Pack Charger for Outdoor Riding, Camping and Other Activites -

So far tried it couple of times. Light is extremely bright on high, on low I would prefer it to be brighter. During riding it does not heat up at all, when you hold it, after 15 min it is just barely warm. So, as I understand the more LEDs the cooler it runs with some small increase in brightness.

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Zilcho View Post
    SecurityIng® 6000LM 5 x CREE XM-L T6 LED Waterproof 3 Modes Bicycle Light Headlamp, CREE LED Bicycle/Bike Lamp Headlight, Portable Rechargeable Bicycle LED Flashlight with 8000mAh Battery Pack Charger for Outdoor Riding, Camping and Other Activites -

So far tried it couple of times. Light is extremely bright on high, on low I would prefer it to be brighter. During riding it does not heat up at all, when you hold it, after 15 min it is just barely warm. So, as I understand the more LEDs the cooler it runs with some small increase in brightness.

i can't imagine the beam spread being good on that at all! SSX2 seems the way to go.
    [SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]i can't ride for sh*t but i'm good at extreme pushing[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Zilcho View Post

Umm...no. Brightness increase in different modes depends on how your light's driver was programmed.
    And it doesn't heat up just because the thermal transfer from leds to case is absolutely horrible:

One led is basically handing in the air while 4 others have a very nice 1mm aluminium point of contact to outer case (this ring on top). So leds are cooking inside at probably 100+ C while outer case stays cool.
    Enjoy your chinese lottery, you didn't win today

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Kir View Post
    So leds are cooking inside at probably 100+ C while outer case stays cool.
    Enjoy your chinese lottery, you didn't win today
    I'll disassemble it today and see whats going on. And I don't play lottery, that is why I bought it from amazon prime, not from chinese web site, I can always return it for free.

Edit:
    You were mostly right. LEDs are glued to a flimsy peace of aluminium similar to one on your picture, it looks more accurate and all the chips are glued to metal and don't hang in the air, but unfortunately it does not change anything. Heat management is crap, this alu plate is not even touching the light body Reflector is actually a huge aluminium chunk which has a pretty good contact to the body, problem is it connects to LED chips through plastic spacers
    Overall I really like the light, but they need to redesign the packaging.
    It goes back to Amazon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4 x XML - 4000 lumen chinese light - anyonr tried one???-photo-2-.jpg  

4 x XML - 4000 lumen chinese light - anyonr tried one???-photo-1-.jpg  

Last edited by El_Zilcho; 10-03-2013 at 09:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by capoz77 View Post
    i can't imagine the beam spread being good on that at all! SSX2 seems the way to go.
    VERY wide pattern and a lot of reach to the light. I really liked it. It would be really disappointing if Kir is right about the heat transfer and I have to return the light.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3