Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Surprising results! So the quad is cooler and brighter.

By the way, do you have a link to the exact dx product?
    Must be something wrong with the D/X website right now because I couldn't find the direct link for most of their bigger lights. Very strange. I had to search my history to find a link. This one looks like mine only the one they sent only included a 4-cell battery. It is also available as "light head only" but I couldn't find the link on the website.

mtbr member
    Not getting hotter may mean that the thermal path is poor compared to the triple...

mtbr member
    Just looking over my own readings....Both lamps seem to peak within the last three reading. The quad went down slightly at the end but that could of been a fluke. I'll try to contact the D/X people to get the proper SKU order number on this lamp.

I did another "shine around" with the quad last night while at work. I continue to be impressed with the output on high. I can tell that the center area of the beam pattern is more intense than the tri-clone. I'm not sure yet how that's going to translate on the bike but the tint is very pleasing to the eye. This weekend if it doesn't rain I hope to take the mountain bike out for a spin and test the Quad out.

When I get home from work I want to hook the Quad up to the provided 4-cell so I can see not only how well the D/X battery does but whither or not the lamp head has voltage indicators. During that test I will also check how much the output drops during the first 10 minutes.

mtbr member

Quad XM-L thermal issues: Part II

I continued on with some more testing. Once again, same set-up with the fan as before. This time I wanted to see how well the light output held up after a good run through. Distance is ~ 5M as before.

Time............LUX.................Temperature....................... .........................

Start............550.....................75F / 23.8C

5 min...........511.....................96F / 35.5C

10 min.........482......................104.3F / 40.1C

15 min.........490......................111.7F / 44.2C
    After twenty minutes the lamp got to 45.1C, at that point it stabilized around 44.2C. The lux level remained rock solid around the 490 mark through out the remainder of the run time test.

At the 47 minute mark the green indicator turned to BLUE...yes, it has voltage indicators. At the two hour mark the led turned to RED. Five minutes after that the RED started to BLINK....one minute after the light went out.

Total run time for the D/X 4-cell, 2 hours and 6 minutes.

I think I can safely say at this point that the thermal properties of this model Quad are not too shabby. That fact that the lux output didn't drop in excess once the lamp was warm is impressive for such a light. This has to mean that the additional weight of the lamp has something to do with removing the heat from the emitter area of the lamp...at least that is my take on it. Just remember that a fan was used throughout the duration of the test. Keep air moving over the lamp and you should be fine. Now how it will do in warm environments is anyone's guess.

I'm really pleased to see that the Quad has LED voltage indicators. Since you don't have a mid-mode that means you will likely use the high mode more than you should. That being the case, having the indicators will help the user make better use of their battery power. When you see the RED, go immediately to your low mode because in 6 minutes the lamp will go out if you stay in high. A good six cell battery should easily get over 3 hours. ( *On a side note, the D/X 4-cell battery did much better than I expected. This is a much better battery than what I got with the tri-clone ).

mtbr member

I'm going to have to get back to you about this issue. In the PM I received from D/X I gave the SKU number of the lamp I wanted. They sent back a reply ( listed the same SKU number ) and said it was on it's way. This is the lamp I wanted.

As you can see from the product description It should be a 4-mode with the last mode being a "press to hold" strobe. The one I have is only 3-mode and more like this set-up. Interestingly the one review on the Ultrafire quad had the lamp only last 1.2hr with 4-cell battery yet mine lasted just over 2hrs. I'm sending a PM to the D/X rep with some questions. Hopefully he should get back to me soon.

mtbr member

Okay hopefully this is the last time I answer this. The D/X people told me the Ultrafire Quad is the one they sent me. Apparently the website ad had to be changed ( after I told them that mine was a three mode ) The website ad now reads correctly.

Now I have to wonder if they have a 4 mode version, perhaps the Skyray.

Anyway, I believe this weekend I might get to do my first night MTB ride of the season. Suppose to be nice. If everything goes as planned I'll have three new lights to try out, the Quad, the Xeccon X-12 with new XM-L2 and the D99 lamp if it shows up by Friday. I really didn't planned for all these lights to be reviewed at the same time, what can I say. Lights happen.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the info. Looking forward to the mega-review.

For me, a light with that much power needs at least three non-flash modes and maybe even four. This only has two! It's a dealbreaker in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. Looking forward to the mega-review.

For me, a light with that much power needs at least three non-flash modes and maybe even four. This only has two! It's a dealbreaker in my opinion.
    I agree. Two things would make this a better lamp, either a good mid-mode in the 60-75% range or a little more output to the present low mode bringing it up to the 35-40% output range. Right now low mode is around 20% output.

My guess is that D/X will see the point after the review and likely fix the problem with an updated version. It might be till next year before that happens though.

One of the reasons I really want to take a ride with this lamp is so I can more properly judge how "useable" the low mode is. My gut tells me though that it won't be enough for general cruising speed.

mtbr member

D/X Quad XM-L T6 3-mode; Trail test

I finally got a chance to see what how well the Quad lamp does on the trail. It does a little better than what I had previously thought with my quick shine-around test. I could still wish for more light ( on low ) but for the most part the low mode throws a little better than I had previously thought and is usable as long as you tilt the lamp down to make better use of the lesser output.

High mode with the Quad is most impressive. Definitely brighter than my Gloworm X2, hands down. Not surprising since it is using 4 XM-L's vs. the Gloworm's two XM-L's. Very nice beam pattern too that covers all the bases with a nice amount of throw and a nice full beam pattern that lights up the breath of the trail very nicely. No blueness to this lamp, nothing but bright white light.

On a side note I also tried using the Quad lamp as a supplement to my Gloworm X2. In this role the Quad excels. When you first turn it on it comes on in high mode. That means it's very easy to quickly turn it on for maximum output on demand. The problem with running two lamps is that when it comes time to turn off the extra lamp you usually have a hard time telling if the lamp is off. Not so with the Quad. Thats because when you cycle through the modes the off mode is just after the strobe mode. As soon as you see flashing you know the next click will turn the lamp off. That's going to be real useful once I do those fast fire road descents.

This was the first time I've ever had two bar lamps going at the same time. Output with both the Gloworm X2 and Quad XM-L on High was absolutely awesome. Definitely a whole different level of output if I do say so. Too bad I can't run that kind of output more often but if I did it would certainly run the battery down real quick with both lamps on high.

The Quad lamp I received free for testing purposes ( from D/X ) but I would definitely buy one unless I thought I could get one somewhere else with three steady modes. Tomorrow I might get a chance to try using the lamp again, hopefully in a area that will make better use of the massive output ( from both lamps ).

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I bought this light, with 3 step of power. I tested it with a laboratory power supply (8Vdc), the results are the following:

Power 1: 8Vdc 115mA 1W -->8%
    Power 2: 8Vdc 625mA 5W -->40%
    Power 3: 8Vdc 1.55A 12.5W -->100%

And v-meter level is (approximate):
    Green--> ok
    Blue--> 7V
    Red-->6.2V

How much mAh is the battery??

I'm looking forward to test it for an overnight ride, one of next days.
    Bye.

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by capoccia View Post
    Could be anything from 1700 to 4200mAh. Don't expect anything higher.

mtbr member
    I bought this light, with 3 step of power. I tested it with a laboratory power supply (8Vdc), the results are the following:

Power 1: 8Vdc 115mA 1W -->8%
    Power 2: 8Vdc 625mA 5W -->40%
    Power 3: 8Vdc 1.55A 12.5W -->100%

And v-meter level is (approximate):
    Green--> ok
    Blue--> 7V
    Red-->6.2V

I'm looking forward to test it for an overnight ride, one of next days.
    Bye.
    You bought "what light"? You're new so you likely can't post links. Give us the name of the light and where it was bought, thanks. FWIW, Fasttech now offers a 4-mode quad XM-L. If I didn't already own one I'd likely buy one from Fasttech.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Anyone using one if these http://dx.com/p/trustfire-tr-d010-5-...-x-18650-21713 I have just bought one so be interesdting to see what it is like.

I use two of these UltraFire XL-3A19 5 x Cree XM-L T6 1200lm with a 8.4V 8000mAh Rechargeable 26650 Li-ion Battery Pack for Bicycle Light - Black - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX on the handle bar.

There is plenty of light and they last for 4 hours plus on high haven't actually had them completely die only get down to red after 3hr 45 min.

On my helmet I use a FandyFire D99 Cree XM-L T6 2-LED 1200LM 5-Mode Neutral White Bike Light Headlight - Silver + Black - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX with the battery above it ran for 3 hrs without going of green and has plenty of light. Each light and battery cost me $65 each delivered $195 for the three lights.
    i also have a 4led light and it uses even the bigger battery power in half the time of the 5led light.

o have a

mtbr member
    Oh...okay, then the lamp you have is High-low-strobe like mine. D/X does have the 4-mode version again with the mid-mode being 80%. It is on another link here but can also be bought as head light only. ( provided this time they get the ads right... ) I'd rather have the mid-mode at 60-70% but at least at 80% you will get better run time than keeping the lamp on high.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Just picked up one of these 4 x Cree XML T6 bike lights. Tried it for the first time last night. It is extremely bright. Even brighter than my car headlights on low beam. And my car headlights are modified to produce 2100 lumens. Even though this bike light is advertised on eBay to produce 5200 lumens, I am sure it is at least half that much judging how it compared to my car's headlights. Beam pattern is wide with a large spot. The throw on this just blows away my other eBay light with a single XML T6 and single R5 led. I thought that light was bright, but this new one is much, much brighter. At full power, there is no problem coming off the mountain at full speed. Felt like I was using the high beams from my car to light the way.

This no-name light has four modes. a H-M-L and strobe in that order. The way the light levels decrease is by reducing the amount of voltage to all four LEDs to lower the light output. It scrolls through all the functions. I guess that would be a downside to the switch that has no memory and not remember the last function you used. The low setting seems to be around 300-350 lumens and comparable to my Cygolite Mitycross rated at 350 lumens. The strobe function flashes around 2X per second at full power and will get everyone's attention.

At full power, the head unit was warm but not hot. I do not know what the run time is but it was certainly more than enough for my two hour ride last night. There is no indicator light on the switch to tell you when you are running low on battery power so choose your ride time wisely and have a backup in case.

Here is a link to the bike light I am describing: 4 x CREE LED XML XM L T6 LED 5200 LM Bicycle Light Headlight Headlamp | eBay

Will have to do more testing to determine how well built and what the actual lumen and run times are. Weight of headlight and battery is 352 grams using a 4x18650 battery pack, if you are interested.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Oh...okay, then the lamp you have is High-low-strobe like mine. D/X does have the 4-mode version again with the mid-mode being 80%. It is on another link here but can also be bought as head light only. ( provided this time they get the ads right... ) I'd rather have the mid-mode at 60-70% but at least at 80% you will get better run time than keeping the lamp on high.
    My lamp is 4-mode: low-middle-hight and strobe.
    I bought a lamp from your link, but my lamp have 4 level...
    Low: 8Vdc 115mA 1W -->8%
    Middle: 8Vdc 625mA 5W -->40%
    Hight: 8Vdc 1.55A 12.5W -->100%

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    So far so good with the light. It is very bright and certainly brighter than a standard car's low beam. Had a friend purchased the same light and when we both turned the lights onto high, they are definitely brighter than any halogen lite car, high beams or not. I will have to try and compare to my wife's car with Xenon lamps. Noticed that the seller upped the price that I paid at $54.00 to almost $100!!! Not sure what the seller is thinking when there are other source still selling the same light for almost half the price. Though this light uses the same type of rubber mounting system that slips, I found that if I use a piece of rubber and slip it into the mounting area where it touches the handlebar, I don't have any issues with slippage. Still impressed with this light and haven't had any issues with run times with my night rides of two hours.

Quote Originally Posted by trekusps View Post
    Just picked up one of these 4 x Cree XML T6 bike lights. Tried it for the first time last night. It is extremely bright. Even brighter than my car headlights on low beam. And my car headlights are modified to produce 2100 lumens. Even though this bike light is advertised on eBay to produce 5200 lumens, I am sure it is at least half that much judging how it compared to my car's headlights. Beam pattern is wide with a large spot. The throw on this just blows away my other eBay light with a single XML T6 and single R5 led. I thought that light was bright, but this new one is much, much brighter. At full power, there is no problem coming off the mountain at full speed. Felt like I was using the high beams from my car to light the way.

This no-name light has four modes. a H-M-L and strobe in that order. The way the light levels decrease is by reducing the amount of voltage to all four LEDs to lower the light output. It scrolls through all the functions. I guess that would be a downside to the switch that has no memory and not remember the last function you used. The low setting seems to be around 300-350 lumens and comparable to my Cygolite Mitycross rated at 350 lumens. The strobe function flashes around 2X per second at full power and will get everyone's attention.

At full power, the head unit was warm but not hot. I do not know what the run time is but it was certainly more than enough for my two hour ride last night. There is no indicator light on the switch to tell you when you are running low on battery power so choose your ride time wisely and have a backup in case.

Here is a link to the bike light I am describing: 4 x CREE LED XML XM L T6 LED 5200 LM Bicycle Light Headlight Headlamp | eBay

Will have to do more testing to determine how well built and what the actual lumen and run times are. Weight of headlight and battery is 352 grams using a 4x18650 battery pack, if you are interested.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just received this one in the mail from AUD DX, 9 day wait so not too bad there.

Buy Cheapest UltraFire 4 x Cree XM-L T6 2600lm 4-Mode White Bicycle Headlamp - Metal Grey (4 x 18650) at au.dx.com US$54.86

The add says 2600lm but the box says 900lm which has me a bit worried as I was working on halving the advertised lumens roughly for a real estimate. The part numbers and items match the description.
    I'm new to lights and can't compare with others but so far it seems good. I'll be looking to build or buy a 6 cell for longer races/rides. it feels a little heavy for a helmet but good for the bars. The plug is the same as my old vistalight so could I use the charger that I have for them? in case the one supplied is no good.
    The box looks legit ultrafire with r trademark but who knows. I'll try and give a better review after a solid night ride. Bloody good price considering the cost of AyUps etc so hopefully worth the gamble.
    How can I measure/test my battery that it came with to see if what I've got is any good or should I just rely on practical test of riding and timing it that way?
    cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It's interesting that is a four mode light, and Cat only had a three mode light. I wonder if it's even the same light? Hopefully the light has the same thermal properties, since those were good. Is the strobe mode hidden (three second hold) or is it part of the regular rotation?

There's a lot of fake ultrafire stuff out there, I wouldn't place too much fate in that.

Knowing how long it will last on high or medium is probably the only real thing that practically matters. If you could measure the current drawn from the battery, then you could estimate how many mAh the battery contains. A decent 4 cell battery has around 4400 mAh.
    Action-LED-Lights ? MJ-6002 4400mAh Waterproof Battery
    The battery that came with this light may contain much less.

I don't know the voltage on your vistalite system, so I wouldn't mix chargers with batteries unless you are absolutely certain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Yeah I read this thread and specifically wanted a 4 mode after that. The strobe is a hold for three sec deal which is great. I've got it on in the yard now and it cranks with good spread. I'll have to find the req's for beam shots so I can post some in the next few days but so far it looks like it'll do the trick nicely.

I also ordered a Solarstorm x2 from ali express at the same time. Hope fully that arrives soon and I can compare.
    Hopefully the battery is good! Good idea on the vistalight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    ISO-100, Exposure-6 seconds, Aperture-F4.0, Focus-Manual, White Balance-Daylight".

found em will do soon

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    After spending 30 minutes going through the dx bike light section, I figured out that this is the Lightfoot bought (for USA buyers).
    UltraFire 4 x Cree XM-L T6 2600lm 3-Mode White Bicycle Headlamp - Metal Grey (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

So the title says four mode, but the description seems to be messed up. This is also the same link that Cat posted, but he only had a three mode. So maybe they changed the driver.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    yeah mine is definitely hi - mid - lo - off and 3 sec hold for fast strobe. holding ony makes it strobe not turn off. Off is part of the cycle through lo,mid,hi,off.

1st run had the indicator light go from green to blue after 1hr on high
    - another 20 on blue
    - then red for 5 and then lights out.

No obvious heat issue, warm to touch with bare fingers at 12 deg C air temp. charging again and i'll see if it lasts longer with a longer charge time. The charger just has a led that is red when charging and green when charged ( i'm assuming as there were no instructions with the unit)

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
    yeah mine is definitely hi - mid - lo - off and 3 sec hold for fast strobe. holding ony makes it strobe not turn off. Off is part of the cycle through lo,mid,hi,off.
    I wouldn't care for that operation style. I would prefer not cycling through the off position. Wonder what the logic in that pattern is?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast