mtbr member
    Mar 2012

2018 Gloworm Alpha 1200?

Once again deciding what to do for lights for the winter season. Last year sadly did not ride much due to lack of time. At the moment have one of the original MagicShine 900lm lights from 2010 which seems to be a lot dimmer than it used to and I don't find it sufficient. Was planning to buy a pair of Ituo XP2 lights for bar and helmet, give the MS to my brother for commuting, but now that Ituo is out of business, looking for alternatives.

Currently looking at the new 2018 GW Alpha 1200lm set. In the past, there was an option to outfit GW lights with Neutral white optics. This is not mentioned with 2018 GW lights, so am I correct to assume they all now come in NW?

While I realize nobody has hand on experience with these yet, I was thinking of having one Alpha on the bars outfitted with wide optics and another Alpha on the helmet with spot optics. I'm planning to have the smaller 3.4Ahr battery mounted to the back of the helmet so that I can eliminate cable running in my backpack which tends to annoy me from past experience.

Does this sound like a decent setup? Any issues, recommendations? Total cost is about $340CAD with additional 35mm bar mount adapter. Quite a bit of money for me, but want to do it right and be done with this for several years again. Thanks in advance.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2016 Norco Sasquatch 6.1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kryten View Post
    Once again deciding what to do for lights for the winter season. Last year sadly did not ride much due to lack of time. At the moment have one of the original MagicShine 900lm lights from 2010 which seems to be a lot dimmer than it used to and I don't find it sufficient. Was planning to buy a pair of Ituo XP2 lights for bar and helmet, give the MS to my brother for commuting, but now that Ituo is out of business, looking for alternatives.

Currently looking at the new 2018 GW Alpha 1200lm set. In the past, there was an option to outfit GW lights with Neutral white optics. This is not mentioned with 2018 GW lights, so am I correct to assume they all now come in NW?

While I realize nobody has hand on experience with these yet, I was thinking of having one Alpha on the bars outfitted with wide optics and another Alpha on the helmet with spot optics. I'm planning to have the smaller 3.4Ahr battery mounted to the back of the helmet so that I can eliminate cable running in my backpack which tends to annoy me from past experience.

Does this sound like a decent setup? Any issues, recommendations? Total cost is about $340CAD with additional 35mm bar mount adapter. Quite a bit of money for me, but want to do it right and be done with this for several years again. Thanks in advance.
    Any advise on this light would just be a guess since there is little information on it. Even product descriptions @ the manufacturers and vendors sites lack basic important information like emitters used and preset levels. Being Gloworms I'm sure they're nice lights but beyond less lumens it's not clear what your sacrificing compared to the X2 for the lower price.

Only constructive thing I can offer are links to places I believe still have left over inventory of Ituo XP2s if those lights still interest you.
    Mole

WIZ-XP2 1500 lumen programmable lightset | Bright Bike Lights

https://www.amazon.com/ITUO-headligh...words=ituo+xp2