Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
    ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Hey Team,

Looks like XS has started to ship to our distributors - with all our apologies for late delivery!

The XS is shipped with spare optics (our own new customised optics) - 1 spare flood and 1 spare spot.

For those who decide to jump in and try the XS you won't be disappointed. It has been engineered by a team of four which include the test rider (myself), our design engineer (20 years in plastics and mechanical engineering, our electronics engineer (a self confessed outdoors man) and Vag (our greek director who just loves lights!).

The lumen per gram ratio of the XS will be released soon and we're confident its going to be near the top of the pile as it should be for the lumen per $$.

Enjoy and let us know what you think!

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm NZ
    Chief Gear Wrecker & Mountain Biker

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    The XS is shipped with spare optics (our own new customised optics) - 1 spare flood and 1 spare spot.
    So only the spare optics are the "new customized optics" or are the three install and the two spares all the new design?

Would the X2 v2 I have benefit from these new optics or not really a noticeable difference?

I have the X2 v2 and like the control sequence and timing so far and I understand the v3 is different in several areas like power on and setting changes. When I get the XS and get used to the controls can I expect the X2 v3 to be the exact same as the XS or is it a bit different as well.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Any updates to this?

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by RojoRacing53 View Post
    With all this talk about new optics are we talking about the little plastic cone lens you sell extras of like the flood or spot?

And if so will we be getting the new optics with the new XS whenever it is finally avalible?

How can you tell the difference in the old vs new optics if you want to upgrade an older model?
    Yes, were talking about the plastic cones. The optics for the XS will be different than what the X2 has been using and will not be interchangeable. The newest X2's (available as of today) will use the same optics. We will have spare flood and spot optics available when the XS's arrive. (as of now that date is the end of next week) I will post a picture of the old vs new so you can see the difference as well as test results.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    Yes, were talking about the plastic cones. The optics for the XS will be different than what the X2 has been using and will not be interchangeable. The newest X2's (available as of today) will use the same optics. We will have spare flood and spot optics available when the XS's arrive. (as of now that date is the end of next week) I will post a picture of the old vs new so you can see the difference as well as test results.
    It seems I perpetually ahead of the curve with this lights unfortunately. So the X2 v3 I just got yesterday from you is using the old plastic cones still?

Order was for Jason Perez with XS preorder and extra MS battery straps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hi Francois,

Any chance you'll be taking tunnel beam shots of the Gloworm lineup?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I would hope they will, the back yard pict looks fairly dim. I have one on order !!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    OK the very 1st pict of back yard that Francois showed did look dim. The review now show's a much brighter pict. With 2230 L tested and 224 Lux, I can't wait to get mine!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The Gloworm XS is now in stock at Actionledlights.com right in time for Christmas !! Yes.

swag ho Administrator
    The new spreadsheet is here. Can I get some updated graphs please?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0i...it?usp=sharing

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Graphs Updated

2014 Mtbr Lights Shootout-2014_mtbr_lights_shootout-claimed_vs_measured_lumens.jpg
    2014 Mtbr Lights Shootout-2014_mtbr_lights_shootout-lumens_per_dollar.jpg
    2014 Mtbr Lights Shootout-2014_mtbr_lights_shootout-lumens_per_gram.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fourtrax View Post
    Graphs Updated
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014_MTBR_Lights_Shootout-Lumens_per_Gram.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	856309
    I am starting to wonder about the overall reliability of these measurements.

The lumen/gram is fairly meaningless, since it most depends on the number of cells in the battery. It should just be lumens/dollar/unit disregarding the battery. If you do that, you'd see units like the Gemini Duo go close to first place (61 grams head for 1300 lumens) ...

And the lumens measurements are baffling. Just compare the measurements for Magic Shine, Glowarm and Gemini with the measurements reported by Action Led and you'll notice how different a picture could emerge. Contrary to MTBR, Action Led yields very similar values for Gemini and Glowarm (e.g. duo vs X2), and shows how the results are highly influenced by the lens used in the unit (just look at X2).

They are baffling because if one cannot even duplicate measurement across two labs settings (MTBR vs Action-Led) it implies that all the possible diatribes about plus or minus 200 lumens become fairly moot ...

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Why is the DiNotte XML-3 not in the 2014 shootout?

Can anyone comment on a direct comparison between the latest DiNotte XML-3 and the latest Gloworm X2?

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    I am starting to wonder about the overall reliability of these measurements.

The lumen/gram is fairly meaningless, since it most depends on the number of cells in the battery. It should just be lumens/dollar/unit disregarding the battery. If you do that, you'd see units like the Gemini Duo go close to first place (61 grams head for 1300 lumens) ...

And the lumens measurements are baffling. Just compare the measurements for Magic Shine, Glowarm and Gemini with the measurements reported by Action Led and you'll notice how different a picture could emerge. Contrary to MTBR, Action Led yields very similar values for Gemini and Glowarm (e.g. duo vs X2), and shows how the results are highly influenced by the lens used in the unit (just look at X2).

They are baffling because if one cannot even duplicate measurement across two labs settings (MTBR vs Action-Led) it implies that all the possible diatribes about plus or minus 200 lumens become fairly moot ...
    Davide,
    The test we are doing are measuring LUX (light intensity on a given spot) not Lumens (a total of the light energy given off in all directions added together) The purpose of our test are to show the distribution of light (spot vs flood) to help customers select the light that best suits their needs
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fireswamp View Post
    Why is the DiNotte XML-3 not in the 2014 shootout?

Can anyone comment on a direct comparison between the latest DiNotte XML-3 and the latest Gloworm X2?
    I'm giving this a bump because I accidentally posted it in the midst of another conversation (I probably should have made it its own thread, but I'll stick with this post to avoid cross-posting).

Anyone have a comparison between the 2013 DiNotte XML-3 and the new Gloworm X2? In particular, does the XML-3 stay cooler and therefore brighter when not moving (or during long slow mountain bike climbs)?

Other comparisons between them?

mtbr member
    I was also considering the Dinotte XML3 but I chose the Gemini Olympia. I was very impressed with the build quality on my Dinotte daytime red.

Action LED Lights

Beam Pattern Comparisons

The Lights Shootout has some great information with real lumen output, weights and cost.
    The tunnel shots give you some idea of the light spread/beam pattern but it's really hard to make a good comparison between lights. Last year we did a series of testing to add some more analytical data (at least for the lights we have/sell) with our beam pattern comparison charts.
    This year with the upgrades to most of the lights we have redone these test and upgraded our test equipment at the same time. With last years setup we projected the light at a wall 10ft away and move the light meter along the wall in 2.5 degree steps. There was some error in that the distance to the wall changed as the angle increased. This year we purchased a machinist rotary table and built a fixture that lets us rotate the light with the meter at a stationary 10ft. The setup and procedure is detailed below.

Set up: We used a test room with black walls and ceiling.

Test Procedure: The lights were set up 10 feet from a light meter and turned on at their maximum setting. Each was allowed to run for 5 minutes with a fan blowing on the light to keep it cool. (all the lights dim down slightly in the first few minutes as the LED heats up) The light was then rotated side to side and up and down to find the brightest spot at the center of the beam. (Our equipment lets us adjust the aim of the light in 0.1 degree increments) The light is then rotated in 1 degree increments and a reading taken out to 35 degrees.

Results: Though the meter was not calibrated and there was a small amount of ambient light (2-3 LUX), all lights were tested under the same conditions. The comparison between lights and lens/optic options is valid. The results are shown as a graph of light intensity vs angle from the center point.

A light with a higher reading at 0 degree will provide farther throw (light an object at the farthest distance)
    A wider curve will provide more flood (light the sides of the road or trail better)
    For lights with interchangeable optics they are all shown on the same graph for comparison.

Here are a few of the resulting graphs. Rather than make this post too large you can visit the Beam Pattern Comparison page on our site to see the full results. We will also be adding tests there as time goes on.
    If anyone owns some other light they would like to see added to this test and could loan them to me for a day I'd be glad to run them through and add them to the page. The test takes about 1/2 hour and I'll turn them around the same day they arrive and get them back in the mail to you. Contact me to schedule a day so I don't get flooded with to many on the same day.
    Francois, if you'd be willing to loan me a batch of the lights you received for your testing it would be great. You could add this information to the shootout if you like.

Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Wow, thanks for the great post and link! I definitely know who I'm sourcing for my lights come this June!

mtbr member
    Excellent work Jim. Thank you. I will be running SSS on my XS.

Two Tired

New view on Action LED data

I really like Jim's data and charts but I find it hard to quickly make sense of all of it. I plotted it differently and thought it might be useful for the whole MTBR community.

Jim's plots show two useful data points: the maximum brightness and the distribution of the light. Some lights are clearly narrowly focused while others target a wide flood with lots in between the extremes.

Gemini suggested using full width half max (FWHM) as a measure of the beam angle. This is basically the angle at which the light intensity is half the maximum intensity. It other words, what is the angle when the brightness is 50% of the maximum. This seems like a reasonable metric, so I used Jim's data to make a pretty good estimate of the FWHM for each light.

Obviously, price is an important factor in choosing a light. I collected the prices for each light from Jim's site, trying to standardized on the lighthead + 4 cell battery configuration so all the comparisons were as similar as possible. Some packages will have different sets of components, but I have ignored these since most of the cost is usually in the light head and the battery.

For me, there are other important factors in choosing a light, including form factor, quality/reliability, compatibility (e.g. standard cable connectors) and the retailer. In this case, the retailer is a non-issue since all the lights are available from Action LED but I don't have a good way to objectively measure the other factors for a fair comparison, so I haven't tried to.

Here is the summary chart I came up with:

2014 Mtbr Lights Shootout-price-vs.-lux-fwhm.jpg

Each "ball" corresponds to a light. The center of each ball reflects the price and maximum lux reading while the width of each ball reflects the FWHM value.

It is clear there there are 3 price points represented (horizontal groups) at about $100, $200-$250 and about $375. Similarly, there are three brightness groups.

I find this chart useful in my own thinking about getting a new light but it does not address all the factors so it is not a complete solution. For example, it is important to me that the light doesn't fail halfway through a ride when I am in some remote location, so I need to make my own estimate of reliability for the lights of interest. Everyone will have their own tradeoffs depending on priorities, what they already have and other factors that they value.

Finally, I hope that everyone appreciates the work Jim has done in collecting the data and then sharing it with all of us. This is a very valuable contribution that only Action LED has made. We all benefit from his sharing and it would be great to encourage this behavior by buying from him.

Disclosure: I have no personal or financial interest in Action LED, but I have bought a light from them in the past (it still works great!).
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    @Cheapwine, thanks for the chart and plotting of the information. I find it helpful.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Went out the other night with Gloworm XS2200 on bar and Gemini Xera on helmet, great combo. Nice and light and bright, good spot with the Xera forgot is was on my helmet. The 2200 just has everything, its all there !!

mtbr member
    CatEye 1200 on sale at REI for $150 USD ... i just picked one up, couldnt pass it up

mtbr member
    here is the link. CatEye Volt 1200 Front Bike Light - Free Shipping at REI.com deal is online only through memorial day

mtbr member
    I have the cat eye volt 300 and it's a great light!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6