2014 Mtbr Lights Shootout

Printable View

  • 11-18-2013
    -Archie-
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    So heck - yes - throw one of them into the mix too. It would be great to see their ratings and beam shots compared to the name brands.

    I'll second that! :thumbsup:
  • 11-18-2013
    Kir
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    There are several unbranded SS look-a-likes with different drivers and seller upgraded units. But the stock branded units from a good supplier (like FastTech) seem to be consistent between samples. I suppose Kir could really answer that, as he has SS units from several different suppliers.

    I'd be interested in seeing the output and beam shots as compared to the bigger name brands/higher priced units.

    Fasttech? Good supplier? Heh, just go and read their forum.
    And no, there is no consistency between SSX2 units...not at all.

    You're interested in output? 900-1500 lumen, depending on what you'll get.
    Beamshots will be interesting for comparison with expensive lights, but thats basically the only useful thing that you can get from such test.
  • 11-18-2013
    steelhmr
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Kir View Post
    Fasttech? Good supplier? Heh, just go and read their forum.
    And no, there is no consistency between SSX2 units...not at all.

    You're interested in output? 900-1500 lumen, depending on what you'll get.
    Beamshots will be interesting for comparison with expensive lights, but thats basically the only useful thing that you can get from such test.

    Thanks for weighing in, Kir.
  • 11-18-2013
    steelhmr
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    This is a subjective statement...do you have anything to back up "Barely anyone even owns one. There are way more people who own budget 3x units or the like."? Sounds like we need a good poll to see.

    You're right - it is merely my opinion. I follow these boards though and no one was even talking about that light until a month or two ago, at all.
  • 11-19-2013
    fc
    2 Attachment(s)
    Gloworm X1 was 918 lumens at the 30 second mark.
    X2 was 1391 lumens.
    X3 is pending.

    Here's some 3 minute graphs. The newest optics are being sent to me right now. They won't affect lumen output but will improve beam pattern.

    fc
  • 11-19-2013
    RojoRacing53
    X3=xs?
  • 11-19-2013
    indebt
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Gloworm X1 was 918 lumens at the 30 second mark.
    X2 was 1391 lumens.
    X3 is pending.

    Here's some 3 minute graphs. The newest optics are being sent to me right now. They won't affect lumen output but will improve beam pattern.

    fc

    Some very impressive numbers from GloWorm Francois,,,, pretty close to claimed, looking forward to the reviews as well as the XS information. Cheers!!
  • 11-19-2013
    Gharddog03
    Gloworms are looking good.
  • 11-19-2013
    indebt
    A little off topic here Francois but i sent Gemini an email a while ago about the poor results in your integrating sphere tests primarily the Olympia. Responds was they were happy the overstated lumens had improved with the Xera/Duo from the previous year, but figured there must have been an error in testing with the Olympia and that they would investigate. I haven't seen anything posted on this forum nor has Gemini responded to my latest email about the Olympia,,,,,( I think I offended them). Have you had any interest in retesting the Olympia with the new fan, or are you satisfied with the original test? Thanx!!
  • 11-20-2013
    pigmode
    The new X2 apparently falls short based on the 2013 MTBR Shootout "standard", where they rated higher tested lumens than advertised.
  • 11-20-2013
    androgen
    Francois i have a question about NiteRider Pro 1200 / 2200. Can you take a picture of the LEDs ? Is it using a different arrangement than the older 1800 / 3600. ? Every picture on the net is from an angle where you can't see the LEDs, and the picture you took is the same angle.

    most disturbingly the picture on the NiteRider site and MTBR picture is of different lights ! ! !

    yeah a better picture of the LEDs would really be nice.

    Thanks !
  • 11-20-2013
    varider
    Last year's glowworm tested roughly at the claimed lumens

    Claimed Lumens: 1200 Lumens
    Measured Lumens: 1148 Lumens

    Gloworm X2 ? 2013 Mtbr Lights Shootout | Mountain Bike Review
  • 11-20-2013
    Gloworm Manufacture
    2014 Mtbr Lights Shootout
    Hey guys, yes it appears we are ever so slightly off the mark, however we do have another x2 with new upgraded optics (the new optics were not ready at the time of sending) on its way as we speak. We expect this to have a small effect on the result.

    Looking at the actual numbers, last year we fell 4.3% short with the x2 this year with the current test it is 7%. We're definitely not disappointed with the output at all.

    Standby for updates in the next week.....and you are, we're waiting on the XS results, which should be quite interesting.

    Bruce
    Gloworm NZ


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • 11-21-2013
    xcandrew
    I noticed some things with the weights in the tests that seem to have been overlooked. The weights for the updated lights are recycled from previous years, and some seem to be the manufacturer's claims rather than measured. It would be useful for the battery pack lights to have a separate weight listing for the light head only for headband or helmet users, and to separate the effects of different battery pack capacities on the comparison weights a bit better. It would also be useful to standardize and explain what pieces are included in the installed weight for a more uniform comparison.

    I looked at the numbers for the two lights I was most interested in (prior to a recent purchase), the Gemini Duo 1500 and the Piko 4.

    The Gemini Duo is not 316 g with the 1:30 run time 2600 mAH 2 cell setup; 316 g must have been with a 4 cell battery from a previous year test. The 2014 Duo that I recently purchased weighs 61 g for the light head (including cable and plastic mount), 1 g for the mount O-ring, 134 g for the battery pack, 4 g for the battery pack strap, and 26 g for the extension cable (not sure if the "installed weight" would include that, say, if you were to mount it on the stem). That comes out 200 g without the extension, which should bump it up from 3.82 to 6.04 lumens per gram.

    I don't have the Piko, but I don't know if the 180 g installed weight is accurate. It is the manufacturer's claimed weight on the Lupine site. The light head is claimed to be 55 g, but I'm not sure if that includes the cable sticking out of it and the required mount. (Please measure the Piko lighthead with the mount for my curiosity.) The 3.3 AH hardcase battery pack for the Piko 4 that has the 2:00 run time listed in the shootout has a claimed weight of 125 g. So that's 180 g for the two pieces, but does that include the the mounts and straps or extensions to attach them to the bike or helmet, which would make it the installed weight? The tiny bit of weight difference between the two lights is just academic, but I'm curious about actual weights.

    In the end, I'm glad I selected the Duo over the Piko - it's brighter; a lot brighter after 3 minutes (1,150 lumens and flat on the graph vs. about 880 lumens and going down steeply for the Piko); similar in weight; probably similar run time of 1:50 to 2:15 if programmed to 90% or 80% to match the Piko for actual lumens output; better beam pattern in my opinion/preference based on the tunnel photos and my experience with my Duo; a lot less expensive; the best user interface in my opinion; compatibility with more battery packs including my Geomangear 4 cell; and I think I actually like the mount design and slightly higher light position better. The Piko gets points from me for perceived cable durability; I don't know about actual cable durability. If the Piko were offered at a discount to me at the same price as the Duo, I'd still pick the Duo.
  • 11-21-2013
    crgmoto
    I've carried out a Lux test using the ceiling method which gives a good indication of output on the Gloworm X2 v3 with the new vs old optics.

    I repeated the test several times and the new optics showed approx. 8-10% increase in total Lux (both the light and meter at 1m from the ceiling), the result was the same comparing the Flood/Spot combination or Spot/Spot on both lights.

    I think this extra efficiency should also be seen in the integrating sphere as the new optics seem to focus more light out of the front with fewer losses. It would be interesting if you were able to repeat the Integrating Sphere test with the revised optics.
  • 11-21-2013
    neb001
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by xcandrew View Post
    The weights for the updated lights are recycled from previous years, and some seem to be the manufacturer's claims rather than measured. It would be useful for the battery pack lights to have a separate weight listing for the light head only for headband or helmet users, and to separate the effects of different battery pack capacities on the comparison weights a bit better. It would also be useful to standardize and explain what pieces are included in the installed weight for a more uniform comparison.

    The weight of the light at least for the Piko is shown in a picture further down in the review, though who knows if it's of the current version. No measurement for the battery and other parts is shown though. I agree that a clear breakdown of the weights would be useful for comparison.

    Quote:

    I looked at the numbers for the two lights I was most interested in (prior to a recent purchase), the Gemini Duo 1500 and the Piko 4.

    The Gemini Duo is not 316 g with the 1:30 run time 2600 mAH 2 cell setup; 316 g must have been with a 4 cell battery from a previous year test. The 2014 Duo that I recently purchased weighs 61 g for the light head (including cable and plastic mount), 1 g for the mount O-ring, 134 g for the battery pack, 4 g for the battery pack strap, and 26 g for the extension cable (not sure if the "installed weight" would include that, say, if you were to mount it on the stem). That comes out 200 g without the extension, which should bump it up from 3.82 to 6.04 lumens per gram.
    Looking at the gallery further down on the review page, it looks like the pictures were reused from the 2013 (unless the box wasn't updated for the 2014 version?) because it clearly states "2x Cree XM-L 1400 Lumens".

    Quote:

    I don't have the Piko, but I don't know if the 180 g installed weight is accurate. It is the manufacturer's claimed weight on the Lupine site. The light head is claimed to be 55 g, but I'm not sure if that includes the cable sticking out of it and the required mount. (Please measure the Piko lighthead with the mount for my curiosity.) The 3.3 AH hardcase battery pack for the Piko 4 that has the 2:00 run time listed in the shootout has a claimed weight of 125 g. So that's 180 g for the two pieces, but does that include the the mounts and straps or extensions to attach them to the bike or helmet, which would make it the installed weight? The tiny bit of weight difference between the two lights is just academic, but I'm curious about actual weights.
    On the Piko review page there's an image that shows 58g for the full light assembly with mount and attached cable.

    Here's the weights I have for my Piko 7:

    Light + mount: 62g (Claimed 50g)
    Velcro for light mount: 2g
    6.6Ah battery: 242g (claimed 240g)
    120cm extension: 50g

    Quote:

    In the end, I'm glad I selected the Duo over the Piko - it's brighter; a lot brighter after 3 minutes (1,150 lumens and flat on the graph vs. about 880 lumens and going down steeply for the Piko); similar in weight; probably similar run time of 1:50 to 2:15 if programmed to 90% or 80% to match the Piko for actual lumens output; better beam pattern in my opinion/preference based on the tunnel photos and my experience with my Duo; a lot less expensive; the best user interface in my opinion; compatibility with more battery packs including my Geomangear 4 cell; and I think I actually like the mount design and slightly higher light position better. The Piko gets points from me for perceived cable durability; I don't know about actual cable durability. If the Piko were offered at a discount to me at the same price as the Duo, I'd still pick the Duo.
    I wonder if the new fan setup was tried out with the Piko, since Francois mentioned that it made a significant difference on the Betty and it seems that Lupine is fairly aggressive with the power reduction with heat. I've personally noticed no dimming while out on the trail, so I'm guessing that the brightness reduction is purely due to heat buildup.
  • 11-21-2013
    Action LED Lights
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Gloworm X1 was 918 lumens at the 30 second mark.
    X2 was 1391 lumens.
    X3 is pending.

    Here's some 3 minute graphs. The newest optics are being sent to me right now. They won't affect lumen output but will improve beam pattern.

    fc

    Actually, in the testing I've done the optic can make quite a difference in total light output. All of them lose light either through the side (a less than perfect reflectance) or absorbed in the material (less than 100% transmittance) Do be sure and retest in the sphere.
  • 11-21-2013
    xcandrew
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by neb001 View Post
    I wonder if the new fan setup was tried out with the Piko, since Francois mentioned that it made a significant difference on the Betty and it seems that Lupine is fairly aggressive with the power reduction with heat. I've personally noticed no dimming while out on the trail, so I'm guessing that the brightness reduction is purely due to heat buildup.

    Wasn't the new fan at set 20 mph? That seems unrealistic for general mountain biking. 10 mph would match more riding situations.
  • 11-21-2013
    neb001
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by xcandrew View Post
    Wasn't the new fan at set 20 mph? That seems unrealistic for general mountain biking. 10 mph would match more riding situations.

    I don't believe it was stated what speed they actually tested with. In the video demoing the setup francois said they can set it to any speed they want, with the fan speed measurement during that demo vid showing roughly 22mph.
  • 11-22-2013
    RojoRacing53
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    Actually, in the testing I've done the optic can make quite a difference in total light output. All of them lose light either through the side (a less than perfect reflectance) or absorbed in the material (less than 100% transmittance) Do be sure and retest in the sphere.

    With all this talk about new optics are we talking about the little plastic cone lens you sell extras of like the flood or spot?

    And if so will we be getting the new optics with the new XS whenever it is finally avalible?

    How can you tell the difference in the old vs new optics if you want to upgrade an older model?
  • 11-22-2013
    dgw7000
    Looks like the XS release date was pushed back again, I'll wait till the end of this month. After that I'll look elsewhere, maybe Serfas new light 2500 L.
  • 11-22-2013
    scar
    2 Attachment(s)
    Pssst.......
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    Looks like the XS release date was pushed back again, I'll wait till the end of this month. After that I'll look elsewhere, maybe Serfas new light 2500 L.


    How about a custom made one from a fellow biker?

    Attachment 848955

    Attachment 848956


    3X XM-L Amoeba light


    ****
  • 11-22-2013
    Gharddog03
    Is the xs going to be available as a lighthead only? If so price?
  • 11-22-2013
    dgw7000
    Yes, $220.00 you get the whole kit but no battery and charger.
  • 11-22-2013
    pigmode
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    Looks like the XS release date was pushed back again, I'll wait till the end of this month. After that I'll look elsewhere, maybe Serfas new light 2500 L.


    Tempting, although I plan to wait for beamshots and lens options on the XS.
  • 11-22-2013
    Gloworm Manufacture
    Hey Team,

    Looks like XS has started to ship to our distributors - with all our apologies for late delivery!

    The XS is shipped with spare optics (our own new customised optics) - 1 spare flood and 1 spare spot.

    For those who decide to jump in and try the XS you won't be disappointed. It has been engineered by a team of four which include the test rider (myself), our design engineer (20 years in plastics and mechanical engineering, our electronics engineer (a self confessed outdoors man) and Vag (our greek director who just loves lights!).

    The lumen per gram ratio of the XS will be released soon and we're confident its going to be near the top of the pile as it should be for the lumen per $$.

    Enjoy and let us know what you think!

    Cheers

    Bruce
    Gloworm NZ
    Chief Gear Wrecker & Mountain Biker
  • 11-22-2013
    RojoRacing53
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    The XS is shipped with spare optics (our own new customised optics) - 1 spare flood and 1 spare spot.

    So only the spare optics are the "new customized optics" or are the three install and the two spares all the new design?

    Would the X2 v2 I have benefit from these new optics or not really a noticeable difference?

    I have the X2 v2 and like the control sequence and timing so far and I understand the v3 is different in several areas like power on and setting changes. When I get the XS and get used to the controls can I expect the X2 v3 to be the exact same as the XS or is it a bit different as well.

    Thanks
  • 12-05-2013
    RojoRacing53
    Any updates to this?
  • 12-06-2013
    Action LED Lights
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RojoRacing53 View Post
    With all this talk about new optics are we talking about the little plastic cone lens you sell extras of like the flood or spot?

    And if so will we be getting the new optics with the new XS whenever it is finally avalible?

    How can you tell the difference in the old vs new optics if you want to upgrade an older model?

    Yes, were talking about the plastic cones. The optics for the XS will be different than what the X2 has been using and will not be interchangeable. The newest X2's (available as of today) will use the same optics. We will have spare flood and spot optics available when the XS's arrive. (as of now that date is the end of next week) I will post a picture of the old vs new so you can see the difference as well as test results.
  • 12-07-2013
    RojoRacing53
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    Yes, were talking about the plastic cones. The optics for the XS will be different than what the X2 has been using and will not be interchangeable. The newest X2's (available as of today) will use the same optics. We will have spare flood and spot optics available when the XS's arrive. (as of now that date is the end of next week) I will post a picture of the old vs new so you can see the difference as well as test results.

    It seems I perpetually ahead of the curve with this lights unfortunately. So the X2 v3 I just got yesterday from you is using the old plastic cones still?

    Order was for Jason Perez with XS preorder and extra MS battery straps.
  • 12-18-2013
    stu06
    Hi Francois,

    Any chance you'll be taking tunnel beam shots of the Gloworm lineup?
  • 12-18-2013
    dgw7000
    I would hope they will, the back yard pict looks fairly dim. I have one on order !!
  • 12-19-2013
    dgw7000
    OK the very 1st pict of back yard that Francois showed did look dim. The review now show's a much brighter pict. With 2230 L tested and 224 Lux, I can't wait to get mine!!
  • 12-20-2013
    dgw7000
    The Gloworm XS is now in stock at Actionledlights.com right in time for Christmas !! Yes.
  • 12-20-2013
    fc
    The new spreadsheet is here. Can I get some updated graphs please?


    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0i...it?usp=sharing

    fc
  • 12-20-2013
    Fourtrax
    3 Attachment(s)
  • 12-29-2013
    Davide
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Fourtrax View Post
    Graphs Updated
    Attachment 856309

    I am starting to wonder about the overall reliability of these measurements.

    The lumen/gram is fairly meaningless, since it most depends on the number of cells in the battery. It should just be lumens/dollar/unit disregarding the battery. If you do that, you'd see units like the Gemini Duo go close to first place (61 grams head for 1300 lumens) ...

    And the lumens measurements are baffling. Just compare the measurements for Magic Shine, Glowarm and Gemini with the measurements reported by Action Led and you'll notice how different a picture could emerge. Contrary to MTBR, Action Led yields very similar values for Gemini and Glowarm (e.g. duo vs X2), and shows how the results are highly influenced by the lens used in the unit (just look at X2).

    They are baffling because if one cannot even duplicate measurement across two labs settings (MTBR vs Action-Led) it implies that all the possible diatribes about plus or minus 200 lumens become fairly moot ... :confused:
  • 02-27-2014
    fireswamp
    Why is the DiNotte XML-3 not in the 2014 shootout?

    Can anyone comment on a direct comparison between the latest DiNotte XML-3 and the latest Gloworm X2?
  • 02-27-2014
    Action LED Lights
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    I am starting to wonder about the overall reliability of these measurements.

    The lumen/gram is fairly meaningless, since it most depends on the number of cells in the battery. It should just be lumens/dollar/unit disregarding the battery. If you do that, you'd see units like the Gemini Duo go close to first place (61 grams head for 1300 lumens) ...

    And the lumens measurements are baffling. Just compare the measurements for Magic Shine, Glowarm and Gemini with the measurements reported by Action Led and you'll notice how different a picture could emerge. Contrary to MTBR, Action Led yields very similar values for Gemini and Glowarm (e.g. duo vs X2), and shows how the results are highly influenced by the lens used in the unit (just look at X2).

    They are baffling because if one cannot even duplicate measurement across two labs settings (MTBR vs Action-Led) it implies that all the possible diatribes about plus or minus 200 lumens become fairly moot ... :confused:

    Davide,
    The test we are doing are measuring LUX (light intensity on a given spot) not Lumens (a total of the light energy given off in all directions added together) The purpose of our test are to show the distribution of light (spot vs flood) to help customers select the light that best suits their needs
  • 02-27-2014
    fireswamp
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by fireswamp View Post
    Why is the DiNotte XML-3 not in the 2014 shootout?

    Can anyone comment on a direct comparison between the latest DiNotte XML-3 and the latest Gloworm X2?

    I'm giving this a bump because I accidentally posted it in the midst of another conversation (I probably should have made it its own thread, but I'll stick with this post to avoid cross-posting).

    Anyone have a comparison between the 2013 DiNotte XML-3 and the new Gloworm X2? In particular, does the XML-3 stay cooler and therefore brighter when not moving (or during long slow mountain bike climbs)?

    Other comparisons between them?
  • 02-27-2014
    Gharddog03
    I was also considering the Dinotte XML3 but I chose the Gemini Olympia. I was very impressed with the build quality on my Dinotte daytime red.
  • 03-07-2014
    Action LED Lights
    Beam Pattern Comparisons
    The Lights Shootout has some great information with real lumen output, weights and cost.
    The tunnel shots give you some idea of the light spread/beam pattern but it's really hard to make a good comparison between lights. Last year we did a series of testing to add some more analytical data (at least for the lights we have/sell) with our beam pattern comparison charts.
    This year with the upgrades to most of the lights we have redone these test and upgraded our test equipment at the same time. With last years setup we projected the light at a wall 10ft away and move the light meter along the wall in 2.5 degree steps. There was some error in that the distance to the wall changed as the angle increased. This year we purchased a machinist rotary table and built a fixture that lets us rotate the light with the meter at a stationary 10ft. The setup and procedure is detailed below.

    Set up: We used a test room with black walls and ceiling.

    Test Procedure: The lights were set up 10 feet from a light meter and turned on at their maximum setting. Each was allowed to run for 5 minutes with a fan blowing on the light to keep it cool. (all the lights dim down slightly in the first few minutes as the LED heats up) The light was then rotated side to side and up and down to find the brightest spot at the center of the beam. (Our equipment lets us adjust the aim of the light in 0.1 degree increments) The light is then rotated in 1 degree increments and a reading taken out to 35 degrees.

    Results: Though the meter was not calibrated and there was a small amount of ambient light (2-3 LUX), all lights were tested under the same conditions. The comparison between lights and lens/optic options is valid. The results are shown as a graph of light intensity vs angle from the center point.

    A light with a higher reading at 0 degree will provide farther throw (light an object at the farthest distance)
    A wider curve will provide more flood (light the sides of the road or trail better)
    For lights with interchangeable optics they are all shown on the same graph for comparison.

    Here are a few of the resulting graphs. Rather than make this post too large you can visit the Beam Pattern Comparison page on our site to see the full results. We will also be adding tests there as time goes on.
    If anyone owns some other light they would like to see added to this test and could loan them to me for a day I'd be glad to run them through and add them to the page. The test takes about 1/2 hour and I'll turn them around the same day they arrive and get them back in the mail to you. Contact me to schedule a day so I don't get flooded with to many on the same day.
    Francois, if you'd be willing to loan me a batch of the lights you received for your testing it would be great. You could add this information to the shootout if you like.






  • 03-07-2014
    jkirkpatri
    Wow, thanks for the great post and link! I definitely know who I'm sourcing for my lights come this June!
  • 03-07-2014
    Gharddog03
    Excellent work Jim. Thank you. I will be running SSS on my XS.
  • 03-16-2014
    CheapWhine
    1 Attachment(s)
    New view on Action LED data
    I really like Jim's data and charts but I find it hard to quickly make sense of all of it. I plotted it differently and thought it might be useful for the whole MTBR community.

    Jim's plots show two useful data points: the maximum brightness and the distribution of the light. Some lights are clearly narrowly focused while others target a wide flood with lots in between the extremes.

    Gemini suggested using full width half max (FWHM) as a measure of the beam angle. This is basically the angle at which the light intensity is half the maximum intensity. It other words, what is the angle when the brightness is 50% of the maximum. This seems like a reasonable metric, so I used Jim's data to make a pretty good estimate of the FWHM for each light.

    Obviously, price is an important factor in choosing a light. I collected the prices for each light from Jim's site, trying to standardized on the lighthead + 4 cell battery configuration so all the comparisons were as similar as possible. Some packages will have different sets of components, but I have ignored these since most of the cost is usually in the light head and the battery.

    For me, there are other important factors in choosing a light, including form factor, quality/reliability, compatibility (e.g. standard cable connectors) and the retailer. In this case, the retailer is a non-issue since all the lights are available from Action LED but I don't have a good way to objectively measure the other factors for a fair comparison, so I haven't tried to.

    Here is the summary chart I came up with:

    Attachment 877512

    Each "ball" corresponds to a light. The center of each ball reflects the price and maximum lux reading while the width of each ball reflects the FWHM value.

    It is clear there there are 3 price points represented (horizontal groups) at about $100, $200-$250 and about $375. Similarly, there are three brightness groups.

    I find this chart useful in my own thinking about getting a new light but it does not address all the factors so it is not a complete solution. For example, it is important to me that the light doesn't fail halfway through a ride when I am in some remote location, so I need to make my own estimate of reliability for the lights of interest. Everyone will have their own tradeoffs depending on priorities, what they already have and other factors that they value.

    Finally, I hope that everyone appreciates the work Jim has done in collecting the data and then sharing it with all of us. This is a very valuable contribution that only Action LED has made. We all benefit from his sharing and it would be great to encourage this behavior by buying from him.

    Disclosure: I have no personal or financial interest in Action LED, but I have bought a light from them in the past (it still works great!).
  • 03-17-2014
    cue003
    @Cheapwine, thanks for the chart and plotting of the information. I find it helpful.
  • 03-17-2014
    dgw7000
    Went out the other night with Gloworm XS2200 on bar and Gemini Xera on helmet, great combo. Nice and light and bright, good spot with the Xera forgot is was on my helmet. The 2200 just has everything, its all there !!
  • 05-21-2014
    Dirt Gnome
    CatEye 1200 on sale at REI for $150 USD ... i just picked one up, couldnt pass it up
  • 05-21-2014
    Dirt Gnome
    here is the link. CatEye Volt 1200 Front Bike Light - Free Shipping at REI.com deal is online only through memorial day
  • 08-31-2014
    elliott436
    I have the cat eye volt 300 and it's a great light!