Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    DaFaJa
    Francois,
    What do you feel is the best bang for the buck, You were able to hold and see the quality of all the lights, Great, Ones brighter then the next for less money, But if it does not last & the battery blows then who cares, What would be your pick for your bike??

Thanks -Paul
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon/ xx1 / xo type2
    Tampa FL USA

mtbr member
    In my recent research on lights, I came across the 2013 shootout on MTBR; very helpful - thanks. A local outdoor outlet (MEC) is offering the Cygolite TridenX 1300, and this looks to me to be the best bang for the buck. Can anyone point out any weaknesses with this particular choice?

After trying a demo light from a LBS last night, it seemed like having the light on my helmet was better than on the bars. Is that the general consensus for fairly hard-core off roading?
    Last edited by Technician; 10-12-2013 at 06:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Very good bang for the buck, I had the old Triden X 600 lumens and loved it. It handled all the crappy winter wet weather Squamish BC could throw at it. Back then MEC charged $399+tax so $229 I think is a great deal. They still are on back order though along with the Centauri 1700 lumen and a couple others.

If you don't want to wait, Dunbar bike shop's on line store has the new Gemini Duo 1500 lumen set up in stock for about the same price. I have last years model and really think it's a good product. Free shipping over $200 as well. Cheers!!

mtbr member
    Thanks; yes that Gemini Duo 1500 looks like an even better deal - lighter, more lumens, slightly less cake!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Can I suggest that you should make sure and have a back up light of some sort. For fairly hard core off roading I strongly recommend finding a way to have both bar/helmet set ups. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hey Francois,,, just wondering if there is an ETA on test results on lights received?? Thanx!!

swag ho Administrator

2013 Mtbr Lights Shootout

Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    Hey Francois,,, just wondering if there is an ETA on test results on lights received?? Thanx!!
    Some should be ready by next week . I'm with the integrating sphere today

Fc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    THAT'S GREAT!! Looking forward to the numbers all the XM-L2's will bring to the table as well as your reviews. Cheers!!

mtbr member
    Yeah!!, good notices.
    Will include new lights Magicshine MJ-808E 1200 lm and MJ-880 2200 lm with new LED XM-L2? and recent models MJ-886 550 lm and Eagle 600 also?

Last edited by pabcor; 10-17-2013 at 01:48 PM.
    Looking for power lights?, see here

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanx Francois for the reviews so far!! There is a fair bit of talk about the 2014 Gemini Olympia having only measured 12 more lumens over last years model. I know this is a busy time for you but can you confirm the light was at 100% output, or re-measure the Olympia. If posted lumens are confirmed as 100% output, then I guess Gemini has some explaining to do. Cheers!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    Gemini has some explaining to do.
    So does Lupine, since the new Betty R measures 10% less than claimed. Interestingly, Lupine states in their website that they utilize a calibrated integrating sphere as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yes true,,, however the Betty-R's 400 lumen shortfall is minor(9%) on a 4500 lumen claim in comparison to the 29% shortfall of the Olympia. Interesting fact though,,,,,, despite only approx. 450 more measured lumens of this years Betty-R , the lux measurement is way up disproportionally from 365lux to 440lux.

mtbr member
    A good review of lots of front and rear lights

Your guide to the best front lights for cycling | road.cc

2013 Mtbr Lights Shootout-rev.jpg

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4