Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Sup
    that light and motion seca 1700 enduro has me excited
    I am thinking of running it on my bars with the cygolite tridenx 750 xtra on my helmet
    nothing like a good 3 hour night ride
    just need to pull the trigger

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Apart of that you can buy separate head and other way, way better battery. Then I think it is not that dangerous with great performance but most of time stupid UI.

Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    They are so cheap the batteries have been known to catch on fire. Really, not worth the risk. You way, way better off buying a Xera or X1 for not-much-more money.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    Apart of that you can buy separate head and other way, way better battery. Then I think it is not that dangerous with great performance but most of time stupid UI.
    Yes you can do that but by the time you've purchased the battery and charger, the xera/X2 and others like them, it's probably a better deal as a kit.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Just registered to say thank you to Francois and the mtbr team. The light shootouts are invaluable and a better resource than any magazine.

I was playing around with the spreadsheet and I sorted it lumens per $. That to me is the best indicator for value.

The top 5 are:

Code:
                                        Price         Lumens        Lumens per $
    Magicshine MJ-872	              $130          1226        9.43
    Magicshine MJ-808	              $95	    648		6.82
    Lumintrek TrailBlazer 1600	      $170	    859		5.05
    Gemini Olympia	                      $300	    1467        4.89
    Gemini Duo	                      $230	    1091        4.74

The winner is the Magicshine MJ-872, which is also the fifth cheapest light in the test. The MJ-808 is the second cheapest light. Magishine is a Chinese company, so you expect them to be cheap, perhaps at the cost of less reliability. There are a few USA based distributors that offer a warranty. Outside of the top 5, the lights only offer a 4.54 to 1.23 lumens to dollar ratio. That is less than half of the MJ-872. Maybe next year they will break the 10 lumens/dollar ratio.

Obviously there are other factors to consider in a light, such as warranty, beam shape, runtime, water resistance, etc.
    I see the lumens figures are in for the Gloworm X2 - 1148 lumens in the integrating sphere test. That puts it straight into 3rd place on the lumens per $ chart with a result of 5.24

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    It would be great to see a photo of all the lights together, in alphabetical order, so that people can judge their comparitive size. It's not always easy to tell in standalone shots.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Man, no one made me any graphs? Am to figure out Excel myself??

Here's the spreadsheet download file.

https://docs.google.com/a/invenda.co...9ia2tpY0E/edit
    Hey Francois---Do you have an updated version of this spreadsheet you can post, that includes the latest lights (especially Niterider)? I can't find it anywhere and it is really helpful to see all the data points in one sheet like this. Thanks!

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by getbusyliving View Post
    Hey Francois---Do you have an updated version of this spreadsheet you can post, that includes the latest lights (especially Niterider)? I can't find it anywhere and it is really helpful to see all the data points in one sheet like this. Thanks!
    The latest spreadsheet is here:
    https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0i...1JwdFJ3ZkpVZEE

Guys, make me some cool graphs.

fc

p.s. The Magicshine 872 has been downgraded to 920 lumens instead of 1200. After further testing, it would drop precipitously to 920 lumens. No amount of high speed fan could get the output back up. It does seem like they are overboosting the light for the first 30 seconds to make it look good in photos and measurements.

mtbr member
    The latest spreadsheet is here:
    p.s. The Magicshine 872 has been downgraded to 920 lumens instead of 1200. After further testing, it would drop precipitously to 920 lumens. No amount of high speed fan could get the output back up. It does seem like they are overboosting the light for the first 30 seconds to make it look good in photos and measurements.
    Francois

Not that it really matters that much (since there are so many lights that you could test, especially cheap knock-offs) but maybe you can test the MJ-856. It is the same light as the MJ-872, but with improved heat-sinking. I have one and never experienced a power stepdown even during long rides.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbean View Post
    Francois

Not that it really matters that much (since there are so many lights that you could test, especially cheap knock-offs) but maybe you can test the MJ-856. It is the same light as the MJ-872, but with improved heat-sinking. I have one and never experienced a power stepdown even during long rides.
    Hey, I have one of those lights from two years ago. Light and Go Foride Bike Light Reviews | Mountain Bike Review

I just tried it out and it does a lot better. It ran at about 117 lux without a fan and it dropped down to about a 104 lux after a couple of minutes. I then put a fan on it and it went back up to 112. So definitely this is a heat issue.

fc

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hey, I have one of those lights from two years ago. Light and Go Foride Bike Light Reviews | Mountain Bike Review

I just tried it out and it does a lot better. It ran at about 117 lux without a fan and it dropped down to about a 104 lux after a couple of minutes. I then put a fan on it and it went back up to 112. So definitely this is a heat issue.

fc
    This is good news as I picked one of those up after your initial review. It's still going strong and works great as a bar light.

mtbr member
    Here are a few charts generated from the updated spreadsheets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Mtbr Lights Shootout-2013-claimed-vs-measured-lumens.jpg  

2013 Mtbr Lights Shootout-2013-measured-lumens-per-dollar-per-gram.jpg  

2013 Mtbr Lights Shootout-2013-lux-vs-lumens.jpg  

Last edited by skullcap; 12-27-2012 at 10:27 AM.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Excellent !!! You've done a very nice job, scullcap.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Francois, you have a bad piece of data for the CygoLite Expilion 350.

On the main Shoot-Out page you list the price as $250. That price is also used in the spreadsheet, graphs etc.

Clicking on the link takes us to the 2012 review, listing the price as $110.

I don't know what the current price of the 350 is, but Canada's Mountain Equipment Co-op lists the Expilion 700 at $129. The 350 is no longer listed on Cygolite's product page, so I suspect it has been discontinued.

Other CygoLite models in the 300-420 claimed lumen range are now at $50 to $70.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the charts.

swag ho Administrator
    Just got back in town Skullcap!! Great work. I'll integrate in the article.

fc

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hey Francois, Got a quick question for you. Are you planning on adding / reviewing additional lights to the database in the future, as they become available ? Reason being. It sure would nice to see how the Gloworm X1 with the new XML-U3, stacks up against the competition...

mtbr member
    You're welcome!
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

Glowormlites UK
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mdemm View Post
    Hey Francois, Got a quick question for you. Are you planning on adding / reviewing additional lights to the database in the future, as they become available ? Reason being. It sure would nice to see how the Gloworm X1 with the new XML-U3, stacks up against the competition...
    The Gloworm X1 has just arrived here - seriously impressive. In the past you needed a large reflector to get decent throw but the hotspot on the X1 is much stronger than a reflector based XM-L which I've wall tested it against.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I think you should test a czech made light - zora, Lupine Betty will be ashamed

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Smile

Hi Guys , I am new to your forum and found this thread interesting as I do a lot of trails night riding, here in Sussex in England. I am surprised Francois not to see any of the Bikeray lights in your table. Quality/versus lumens/versus price is great.
    We have a lot of guys MTB section ridding with the RAY III or RAY IV
    Best
    SK59

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Which is better headlamp or a handlebar mounted light?

mtbr member
    I like Light & Motion, and Lupine..
    Looking for power lights?, see here

mtbr member
    Francois,

Great wright up. Nice R&D. Talk about giving back to the community. In light of the Majic shine MJ872. Did you happen to know what battery pack utilized in any of your notes? I noticed the light now sells with a claimed improved battery pack... Currently, looking for a decent affordable light. I noticed there seemed to be a anomaly with this light.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Francois, make sure you get your hands on the 2014 L&M's. I just got the Stella 500 and Seca 1500. The Seca is a workhorse and the Stella has such a nice even pattern.

mtbr member

2013 Mtbr Lights Shootout

Any test/review of Niterider Pro 1800 Race?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast