Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    swag ho Administrator
    I get the Niteriders next week and I'm going to the Lezyne facility to test next Friday.

I put up another beam shot gallery.
    2013 Bike Lights Shootout – Mtbr Tunnel Beam Patterns | Mountain Bike Review

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just registered to say thank you to Francois and the mtbr team. The light shootouts are invaluable and a better resource than any magazine.

I was playing around with the spreadsheet and I sorted it lumens per $. That to me is the best indicator for value.

The top 5 are:

Code:
                                        Price         Lumens        Lumens per $
    Magicshine MJ-872	              $130          1226        9.43
    Magicshine MJ-808	              $95	    648		6.82
    Lumintrek TrailBlazer 1600	      $170	    859		5.05
    Gemini Olympia	                      $300	    1467        4.89
    Gemini Duo	                      $230	    1091        4.74

The winner is the Magicshine MJ-872, which is also the fifth cheapest light in the test. The MJ-808 is the second cheapest light. Magishine is a Chinese company, so you expect them to be cheap, perhaps at the cost of less reliability. There are a few USA based distributors that offer a warranty. Outside of the top 5, the lights only offer a 4.54 to 1.23 lumens to dollar ratio. That is less than half of the MJ-872. Maybe next year they will break the 10 lumens/dollar ratio.

Obviously there are other factors to consider in a light, such as warranty, beam shape, runtime, water resistance, etc.
    Last edited by varider; 11-29-2012 at 03:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    We've already broke the double digit lumen per dollar rating.

Take an XML-1 clone available all over for less than $40 delivered. Figure 600 lumens. That's 15 lumens per $$ babe blowing away the competition!!

Just make sure you carry 2 at all times.

MB

mtbr member
    May 2009

compare Strykr II, SL

How does the light beam pattern of Strykr II (as seen in the shootout) compare to SL?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Great work, but I have a question:

The Magicshine MJ-808 is in the test and it was also a part of last yeras test.
    When I look at the backyard shots there is quite a big difference between the lights

MJ-808 2013

MJ-808 2012

This difference looks to me like the MJ-808 2013 could perhaps be the MJ-808E version?

Wich version of the MJ-808 is that You have tested?
    MJ-808E: MJ-808E,Led Bicycle Light-Shenzhen MINJUN Electronic Co.,Ltd
    or MJ-808: MJ-808,Bicycle Headlight-Shenzhen MINJUN Electronic Co.,Ltd

/Håkan
    SWEDEN
    Last edited by francois; 12-03-2012 at 04:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    We've already broke the double digit lumen per dollar rating.

Take an XML-1 clone available all over for less than $40 delivered. Figure 600 lumens. That's 15 lumens per $$ babe blowing away the competition!!

Just make sure you carry 2 at all times.

MB
    I'm about the pull the trigger on one of those myself. You are really gambling on reliability though, at least the Magicshine have a semi-proven track record. Not to mention the triple xm-l for around $50. The batteries that come with them don't seem too great though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hi guys im from the Uk , I bought the dinotte xml 3 and have now ordered the xml1 on the reviews Francois did. Just one point on the graph showing measured and claimed lumens output .the xml 3 from dinotte , says on their website the xml 3 is an 1000 lumens light and not the 1200 as stated in the graph , I would hate to think guys were discounting the xml3 on the basis that they were not accurate claims made by dinotte and the measured lumens are actually higher slighty .this was one of the main reasons I did not buy any other light. exposure in the uk were using the max stated capacity of the leds and not what the actual output was .chers guys this is my first post hope ive not upsrt anybody .

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Troutie is a Yorkshire man with a passion for making lights in his garden shed back in blighty.its a shame hes not in the review this year his latest light he calls spider eyes has a claimed 2600 lumens .it looks fantastic .

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Guys does anyone know if magicshine has got their **** together
    regarding their reliably, don't want to sound to harsh, as I realise its
    a new company trying to set itself up, but
    are they doing anything to rectify these reliably problems with more research and
    development or are they just happy to stay as they and take our money .
    Thanks Grant .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Just registered to say thank you to Francois and the mtbr team. The light shootouts are invaluable and a better resource than any magazine.

I was playing around with the spreadsheet and I sorted it lumens per $. That to me is the best indicator for value.

The top 5 are:

Code:
                                        Price         Lumens        Lumens per $
    Magicshine MJ-872	              $130          1226        9.43
    Magicshine MJ-808	              $95	    648		6.82
    Lumintrek TrailBlazer 1600	      $170	    859		5.05
    Gemini Olympia	                      $300	    1467        4.89
    Gemini Duo	                      $230	    1091        4.74

The winner is the Magicshine MJ-872, which is also the fifth cheapest light in the test. The MJ-808 is the second cheapest light. Magishine is a Chinese company, so you expect them to be cheap, perhaps at the cost of less reliability. There are a few USA based distributors that offer a warranty. Outside of the top 5, the lights only offer a 4.54 to 1.23 lumens to dollar ratio. That is less than half of the MJ-872. Maybe next year they will break the 10 lumens/dollar ratio.

Obviously there are other factors to consider in a light, such as warranty, beam shape, runtime, water resistance, etc.
    Now take this from a guy that owns a MJ-856b (the 872 with better heat-sinking). The one thing everyone forgets when it comes to $ per lumen is the battery. The MJ and other knock off lights typically comes with inferior batteries with lower run time (I'm not even talking about the safety issues which I think specifically MJ has addressed). Or the batteries are much heavier with comparable run times. The MJ-880 for instance has a very heavy battery with only 2 hours run time at peak power. The DUO and X2 has similar output if not more (actual lumens, not manufacturer stated) than the MJ-880, but the battery is much smaller, lighter and lasts up to 50% longer at full power. That is something I would pay for.

I know this is a straight $/lumen calculation, but the battery (power and weight) is just as important as the light IMO. The light without the battery is nothing and I don't think it can be judged in isolation.

That being said, I think MJ has their quality issues mostly sorted and they produce dependable lights I think. Their batteries leave much to be desired IMO.

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Blackbean, I dig what you're saying. Only thing is the MJ-880 is brighter than the DUO by quite a bit. Probably brighter than the X2 too, unless my eyes are really deceiving me. The 880 must be driving those LEDs quite hard; some have reported early shut down from heat. That could be why the 6-cell battery doesn't run very long. Also, the 880 lighhead is quite a bit larger than the DUO/X2 which seems to help it have nice throw. I woud not want that light-head on my helmet, but the X2 and DUO work great (nice and light with low profile).

I too have the 856 (Foride - came out before the MS version). Good light, makes a giant beam, good handlebar light. The Gemini Olympia blows it away, however.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TCW View Post
    Blackbean, I dig what you're saying. Only thing is the MJ-880 is brighter than the DUO by quite a bit. Probably brighter than the X2 too, unless my eyes are really deceiving me. The 880 must be driving those LEDs quite hard; some have reported early shut down from heat. That could be why the 6-cell battery doesn't run very long. Also, the 880 lighhead is quite a bit larger than the DUO/X2 which seems to help it have nice throw. I woud not want that light-head on my helmet, but the X2 and DUO work great (nice and light with low profile).

I too have the 856 (Foride - came out before the MS version). Good light, makes a giant beam, good handlebar light. The Gemini Olympia blows it away, however.
    TCW, no argument from me as to brightness of the DUO/X2 vs the MJ-880. I bought a dual XML light based on seeing the MJ-880. I have the X2 now and will compare it to my buddy's MJ-880 when we ride together next time. The MJ-880 is small and light enough for a helmet mount IMO though. My buddy uses it as a helmet mount and he does not even notice the weight.

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbean View Post
    TCW, no argument from me as to brightness of the DUO/X2 vs the MJ-880. I bought a dual XML light based on seeing the MJ-880. I have the X2 now and will compare it to my buddy's MJ-880 when we ride together next time. The MJ-880 is small and light enough for a helmet mount IMO though. My buddy uses it as a helmet mount and he does not even notice the weight.
    Cool, I'll look forward to your thoughts compared to your buddy's 880. I think the 880 weights about 120 grams. Your X2 is about 80 grams, if I remember correctly. My DUO is a few grams lighter.

I remember running 150 gram Photon Max and being happy with the weight. Funny how perception changes. I don't noticed the DUO much but when I put my Photo Max on I can really feel it.

If I had an 880, I'd probably see if a narrow 808 mount would fit. That way I could do the direct-mount method that I do with my other lights with that type mount. It knocks off a few grams and also makes it much lower profile.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The light shootouts are great and I just bought a light based on the reviews, but I have a question:

Are the 2013 light values using the same light as 2012, but in an updated test, or is it a different light in the new test?

I am curious because the Jet F-1 went down to 67 lux from 71 last year, so is that the same light tested under the new protocol, or a different light with less brightness? I only noticed because I just bought that light (but now changed and called the fu2, so the point is moot).

So do the old lux values in the shootouts get adjusted down relative to the 2013 readings, is I guess my main question.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    It is arriving this week.
    2013 Bike Lights Shootout – Beam Photos and Mtbr Lab tests | Mountain Bike Review

2013 Bike Lights Shootout – Mtbr Lumen Tests | Mountain Bike Review

The lumen data is in this spreadsheet. Download it and make me some graphs.

claimed lumen vs. measured on bar graph

lumen per dollar

measured lumen vs mtbr lux line graph

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0i...U1Hck9ia2tpY0E

Just a heads up Francois. You have entered a lumen measurment of just 1185 on the Wilma 6 review, not on the above spread sheet but the newly posted 2013 bike light shoot out page. Cheers!!!

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    Just a heads up Francois. You have entered a lumen measurment of just 1185 on the Wilma 6 review, not on the above spread sheet but the newly posted 2013 bike light shoot out page. Cheers!!!
    Thank you very much! 1185 lumens is the 2012 Wilma TL flashlight that I brought to the lab as well.

I'll fix.

fc

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HakanC View Post
    Great work, but I have a question:

The Magicshine MJ-808 is in the test and it was also a part of last yeras test.
    When I look at the backyard shots there is quite a big difference between the lights

This difference looks to me like the MJ-808 2013 could perhaps be the MJ-808E version?

Wich version of the MJ-808 is that You have tested?
    MJ-808E: MJ-808E,Led Bicycle Light-Shenzhen MINJUN Electronic Co.,Ltd
    or MJ-808: MJ-808,Bicycle Headlight-Shenzhen MINJUN Electronic Co.,Ltd

/Håkan
    SWEDEN

I will check which one I have. It's now hard to compare pictures to last year because I switched cameras. The old camera was a 5 year old Canon G9 while the new one is an Olympus OM-D.

The manual settings are all different now and the new Olympus is more wide angle than the old one.

So... comparing pictures to last year may be unreliable.

francis

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilarider View Post
    The light shootouts are great and I just bought a light based on the reviews, but I have a question:

Are the 2013 light values using the same light as 2012, but in an updated test, or is it a different light in the new test?

I am curious because the Jet F-1 went down to 67 lux from 71 last year, so is that the same light tested under the new protocol, or a different light with less brightness? I only noticed because I just bought that light (but now changed and called the fu2, so the point is moot).

So do the old lux values in the shootouts get adjusted down relative to the 2013 readings, is I guess my main question.
    I'll retest this. I switched batteries on this Jet F1 from their Sanyo 3200 to a generic cell.

fc

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Dying to see what you think of the Gloworm X2 Francois!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    +1 on the X2.

moe.
    Sep 2005
    This work is outstanding and so appreciated. Thank you.
    "These people take a dump that’s a bigger difference than the a 5 Spot and a Blur LTc." DT

mtbr member

How about the MJ-880?

Would love to see the Magicshine 880 (claimed 2200 lumens) tested. I've read that it compares with the L&M Seca 1700...

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by kimm2222 View Post
    Would love to see the Magicshine 880 (claimed 2200 lumens) tested. I've read that it compares with the L&M Seca 1700...
    This is coming next week.

The big index article is now here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2013 Bike Lights Shootout – 50 LED Lights Measured | Mountain Bike Review

Soft AND Tender
    Jun 2005
    francois - if you could only buy one helmet mount light, what would it be?

I am looking to replace a Light&Motion ARC Li-Ion that is reaching end of life...

Have been using this light, and only this light, mounted on helmet for many years with good results.

Thanks for replies.

mtbr member
    What about Xeccon's lights?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast