mtbr member
    Nov 2013

2013+ DiNotte XML-3 vs 2014 Gloworm X2?

(Moving this from the 2014 light review mega-thread to its own thread)

Anyone have a comparison between the 2013 DiNotte XML-3
    and the new (2014?) Gloworm X2? In particular, does the XML-3stay cooler and therefore brighter when not moving (or when moving slowly on long grinding mountain bikeclimbs)?

Other comparisons between them?

mtbr member
    I'd like to see the Xml-3 vs the Olympia.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    OK, XML-3 vs Gloworm X2 vs Olympia.

Anyone?

mtbr member
    Been a while since I've seen a user review on the DiNotte XML-3. In past reviews I can't recall anyone who owned one saying they didn't like it. Beam pattern on the "3" have always included a good amount of throw with a nice spill. Since upgrading to the new XM-L2 emitters I've not heard too much about them. Typically DiNotte under-drives their lamps to provide better heat management. Their new version claims 1500 lumen so output should be comparable to the GW X2 (v3) which is also in that output range.

The upgraded Olympia ( like the DiNotte ) has not had many current reviews on the forum that I can recall. I think that a shame because undoubtedly like past editions it will have superior peripheral coverage only with more output with the upgraded emitters.

Much has been written about the Gloworm X2 and the threads on it and it's big brother the X3 are not too deeply buried in the forum. The advantage to the GW's is the mounting, the remote ( which could be a tad longer ) and the fact that the GW's have the capability of "switchable optics". Both the Olympia and the GW's have "stepless" sub menus for dialing in the output of the modes if one wants to do that. Since I'm a big fan of "Stepless" menus hard for me not to love any lamp that includes it.

Choose any of these lamps and you should get a product with superior performance with very good product service support from the seller.

mtbr member
    I use the XML 3 as a helmet lamp and the Taz 1200 on the bars. Neither have issues with heat.

Magically Delicious
    I have two DiNotte XML-3's. I use one XML-3 on the helmet and the other on the bars. I can't say enough good things about these lights. 3000 lumens for under $500.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Does the XML-3 step down / dim due to heat when on high and you're not moving (as the duo and x2 reportedly do)?

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by fireswamp View Post
    Does the XML-3 step down / dim due to heat when on high and you're not moving (as the duo and x2 reportedly do)?
    That's an interesting question that I do not have the answer for, but I would like to know. Anyone?

mtbr member
    I've never experienced this issue.

Magically Delicious
    I have to say that I've operated these in Texas summers with no dimming or other issues.

mtbr member
    OK. Here's my 2-cents.

I will sound like someone who has an axe to grind with Dinotte. I've dealt with them and found the attitude of the reps I dealt with very obnoxious and pompous attitude. The reps treated me like I have no knowledge about lights or batteries and as if Dinotte is the ONLY company that sells reputable lights. Every response was worded in a way that assumed I was a complete novice with NO knowledge and that all lights I owned before were obviously of an inferior quality and as if I must have had problems with it. I refuse to support a company that treats their customers like that.

Now on to their product. The XML-3 is a very good light and the good thing about Dinotte is that you can buy new batteries very cheaply in the future if you need or want to. The light shell/housing however seems made of plastic (maybe a minor issue) and the cord placement I found impractical. The biggest ding on the light for me was the preset power output modes. 25%, 50% and 100%. I found 50% a bit too low for most of the riding I do and at 100% I would be afraid of running out of juice. So that alone was enough for me to return the light.

I bought the original X2 at the end of 2012 and last week the new XS. I loved the X2 but found it lacking a bit of throw on most descents. With 2 spot lenses I found the beam pattern to tight for single-track. Enters the XS. I think I've bought my last light for many many years. Just run it with the 3 spot lenses. I've not run out of throw 30 mph road descents (I ride mtb on the road especially during the colder months of the year) and although I've not been in the woods with it yet, it lights up a full car lane. I can't see that I'll lack spread in the woods.

If you can afford it, just go straight to the XS. The X2v3 might suffice though. I find running the X2 in the default medium setting of the trail mode (70% of output which is roughly 1540 lumens or about 100% of the X2) to be about good enough already for anything. I just don't know if the beam pattern of the X2 would match the XS.

SO happy with the XS.

mtbr member
    A search for X3 will come up blank, it's the XS.

And it's a fantastic lamp, especially since you can purchase the head without battery and charger for $220. Crazy small and light, perfect for helmet use (and comes with both mounts) if you want one there, although two batteries will be taxed to maintain the highest mode if you want to mount the pack on your helmet. I'm torn between it and the X2 for a helmet lamp, will probably get a second XS.

mtbr member
    The XS is a killer light.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingtaco View Post
    A search for X3 will come up blank, it's the XS.

And it's a fantastic lamp, especially since you can purchase the head without battery and charger for $220. Crazy small and light, perfect for helmet use (and comes with both mounts) if you want one there, although two batteries will be taxed to maintain the highest mode if you want to mount the pack on your helmet. I'm torn between it and the X2 for a helmet lamp, will probably get a second XS.
    Not the first time I've done that. No biggie. Most people knew what I was talking about anyway.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbean View Post
    The light shell/housing however seems made of plastic (maybe a minor issue) and the cord placement I found impractical. The biggest ding on the light for me was the preset power output modes. 25%, 50% and 100%.

I found 50% a bit too low for most of the riding I do and at 100% I would be afraid of running out of juice. So that alone was enough for me to return the light.
    The light shell is machined aluminum.

Battery time on high (100%) is 2.5 hours. That's not too bad for 1500 lumens. As a note, they are now claiming 1600 lumens on their website (up from 1500).
    Battery time at med (50%) is 5 hours

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    The light shell is machined aluminum.

Battery time on high (100%) is 2.5 hours. That's not too bad for 1500 lumens. As a note, they are now claiming 1600 lumens on their website (up from 1500).
    Battery time at med (50%) is 5 hours
    OK, maybe I should have said 'the shell/housing FEELS like plastic' because I couldn't tell whether it was plastic or aluminum.

Regardless, the company left a sour taste in my mouth and I would never buy a product from them. It was the final straw that had me return the light to them.

Besides, for my needs, the XS is a much better light even if it's more expensive.

Magically Delicious
    Regardless, the company left a sour taste in my mouth and I would never buy a product from them. It was the final straw that had me return the light to them.
    Bottom line is that you're correct on this one. Nothing turns me off faster to a product than dealing with customer service, reps, or whoever that exhibits an attitude. I fully understand your stand.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    Bottom line is that you're correct on this one. Nothing turns me off faster to a product than dealing with customer service, reps, or whoever that exhibits an attitude. I fully understand your stand.
    Thanks. Now I know that no company can satisfy ALL it's customers or potential customers. Everybody has their own idea and preferences. No company has a clean record. But this was totally avoidable and unprovoked. I was being trashed from the get go.

Although the product ended up not suiting my needs, even if it did I would have returned it. But it's a shame because it is a good light at an unbeatable value and American made to boot. With very affordable battery replacements if ever needed.

Cheers.

Magically Delicious
    Thanks. Now I know that no company can satisfy ALL it's customers or potential customers. Everybody has their own idea and preferences. No company has a clean record. But this was totally avoidable and unprovoked. I was being trashed from the get go.

Although the product ended up not suiting my needs, even if it did I would have returned it. But it's a shame because it is a good light at an unbeatable value and American made to boot. With very affordable battery replacements if ever needed.

Cheers.
    Some interesting marketing research has shown that if you're pleased with a product you might tell one or two others. However, if you're displeased with a product, you are likely to tell five to six others of your unpleasant experience.

mtbr member
    The one time I talked to someone at Dinotte they were nothing but accommodating and professional... just to balance things out.

I've been running an XML3 for 3 winters now (once or twice a week), and haven't had one issue. It's even taken some substantial hits by endos and tree branches. No heat issues, no battery issues, nothing but good things to say.

So I highly recommend their product and service... made in USA too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    The one time I talked to someone at Dinotte they were nothing but accommodating and professional... just to balance things out.

I've been running an XML3 for 3 winters now (once or twice a week), and haven't had one issue. It's even taken some substantial hits by endos and tree branches. No heat issues, no battery issues, nothing but good things to say.

So I highly recommend their product and service... made in USA too.
    No doubt. For everyone like me, there are 50 like you otherwise they wouldn't exist/survive as a company. It is a great product and great value.

Not trying to harp on their service because this post is about the XML-3 vs X2 (and I brougt up the XS). For more money, the XS is a better light though IMO.

Between the X2 and XML-3 I prefer the X2 because of the option to set the output levels AND the remote. The remote is something I was resistant too, but since I got my X2 the end of '12, I've realized how great it is anytime I use a light without it. As for beam pattern and lumen count, I would say the XML-3 might be a bit better.

The new lenses on the Gloworms are much better than before. On my X2 I felt the beam too spotty when I ran with 2 spot lenses. With the flood/spot setup I lacked a bit of trow. But the X2v3 I think does much better in that respect. It shares lenses with the XS I believe (X2v3 only) and I find the SSS lens setup on the XS perfect in terms of throw and spread.

Either way, X2 or the XML-3 I don't think you can go wrong for $230-ish.