Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Amazon.com: SUPERNIGHT(TM) Red Waterproof 1800 Lumens CREE XML T6 LED Bicycle Headlight Headlamp 3-Modes Bike Handbar Flashlight Torch with 4400mAh Rechargeable Battery Pack: Sports & Outdoors

Name:  41XD426gI7L.jpg
Views: 2095
Size:  25.9 KB
    Got one of these about a month ago and has been working well. Good running time (high power for up to 2hrs with no problem), bright output (a little spotty).
    Surprised I'm seeing so many reviews of lights purchased from places with little accountability that are shipping from overseas and taking 3-6 weeks to arrive when this thing arrived in 4 days free with Amazon Prime.

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    User review: Solarstorm X2, original version
    Review of Solarstorm X2, the original version.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I just bought 2 SUPERNIGHT lights and they are awesome. 1.5 hr. ride, single digit temps, and still very bright!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Amazon.com: SUPERNIGHT(TM) Red Waterproof 1800 Lumens CREE XML T6 LED Bicycle Headlight Headlamp 3-Modes Bike Handbar Flashlight Torch with 4400mAh Rechargeable Battery Pack: Sports & Outdoors

Name:  41XD426gI7L.jpg
Views: 2095
Size:  25.9 KB
    Got one of these about a month ago and has been working well. Good running time (high power for up to 2hrs with no problem), bright output (a little spotty).
    Surprised I'm seeing so many reviews of lights purchased from places with little accountability that are shipping from overseas and taking 3-6 weeks to arrive when this thing arrived in 4 days free with Amazon Prime.
    the SecurityIng version on amazon doesn't say solarstorm on the light. I was going to order from amazon but someone said his friend bought the light and they compared it to his from fasttech(china) and the one from amazon wasn't as bright. it could have been a dud though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I just bought a Superlight from Amazon which arrived yesterday. I compared it with my Fenix PD32 UE torch (750 Lumen) and on high it's not as bright. There's no way it's 1800 lumens. I'm guessing more like 600-650 lumens. Will see how it works on the trails next week. I also have a MJ-880 clone coming from KD and will compare the two (light is coming via air, batteries are on the slow boat from China - may be 3-4 weeks).

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hey, guys! Getting into night and crack of dawn riding so I'm needing some illumination devices. What can I do with, say, $80? Can you recommend a handlebar and helmet combo in that price range? Would two of the supernights above do the trick? Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by akaHector View Post
    What can I do with, say, $80?
    I'd recommend MagicShine MJ-808E:
    MagicShine MJ-808E HA-III CREE XM-LT60 3-Mode 1000-Lumen LED Bike Light Set (4x18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Beam with balanced spot and spill, waterproof, decent quality, good battery, fast charger.

mtbr member

Re: 2013 Budget Light Shootout

Quote Originally Posted by -Archie- View Post
    I'd recommend MagicShine MJ-808E:
    MagicShine MJ-808E HA-III CREE XM-LT60 3-Mode 1000-Lumen LED Bike Light Set (4x18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Beam with balanced spot and spill, waterproof, decent quality, good battery, fast charger.
    He is looking for 2 lights for $80..not 1.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Obtaining two lights for that money was a separate question, as I see.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hey, Archie! No worries on the recommendation. I was going to ask if that particular light would work in place of two lights.

With these lights that run off of the 4x18650 battery pack, would you use any of them as a helmet mounted light? Sounds like it would be cumbersome.

Sorry for the total noob questions, but this seems to be a good place for them. Thanks, all!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Most people attach an extension cable, and chuck the battery pack in their water bladder pack. I haven't had an issue with that. Some put it in their shirt pocket.

If you want to mount the battery pack on your helmet, they can also run off a 2x18650 (obviously with shorter run times).

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I've used a Jexree Owl clone with the 4x18650 pack on the helmet for long rides (≥4 hours) with no fatigue issues.
    But I suppose this will depend on the physique and riding style of the rider.
    Traditionally in daytime I would ride the climbs helmetless , and only don the cap for the descents, for most of the funner rides around here are of the climb-up-to-bomb-down type.
    Night I have found that the helmet spot doesn't really add to the visibility on the climbs (because of the angle - one's head tends to point ahead of the front tire while climbing), mostly it just interferes with the bar mounted light and washes out the features directly ahead (on high) , or adds nothing on lower settings, but is handy if you want to look around...point being that fatigue would be more of an issue on climbs, but if you're running a bar-mounted light, the helmet mounted light wouldn't really be necessary for the climbs for the type of riding I mentioned, and as far as interfering with the speed and mobility of your head on descents, if mounted properly, it's not much different than getting used to the weight of a full-face when mostly wearing caps. If I had to mount the light on a full face, I'd probably stick the battery in the ipod pouch on the camelbak, though.

mtbr member
    A lighter weight light for the helmet is key with the battery in the jersey pocket or hydration pack. You really should run two lights which gives you a backup if one craps out and increases your ability to see properly on the trail. $80 for 2 lights should be doable; I am not the Chinese clone light guru so I have no idea what combo would be best. I agree with Archie that the Magicshine 808 is a great light (I run 2 of these) for the bar (with wide-angle lens) or helmet or both but this will set you back closer to $170.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Maybe we should keep this thread strictly for review purposes only? There are hundreds of "what light should I buy threads". Use one of those threads, please.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3