Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast
    Sup
    I have a TridenX 750xtra and a Cygolite Turbo 740
    If I can get my wife to set up her cannon I will post some beam shots between the two
    I can tell right now that the turbo is more of a spot light
    It is dark and late in Wisconsin

Going for a ride SJ
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerJoe View Post
    I have a TridenX 750xtra and a Cygolite Turbo 740
    If I can get my wife to set up her cannon I will post some beam shots between the two
    I can tell right now that the turbo is more of a spot light
    It is dark and late in Wisconsin

Going for a ride SJ
    Is the Turbo as bright as depicted on the CygoLite website? And does it have a nice halo around the spit.

Sup
    the turbo is as bright as the TridenX
    It has more of a hotspot in the center
    I would say it looks really close to the web
    It also fits the TridenX helmet mount so I might give it a try there
    has a built in red tail light
    hope this makes some sense I need to get some sleep

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Yes, Nifeflux!! How could I forget.

fc
    Hi Francis,

just got a message from a mystery fan to check out this thread and contribute some samples.
    So many offerings these days. Will go for the ones that are significantly different I think.

PMini12: 1000 lm, 35g for head unit, wireless remote control.
    Red Zone 4: 200 lm tail light, 180 deg beam pattern, integrated battery.

Let me know if there are any other requests. Sent email but not 100% sure I got your current contact details. Check inbox or send me PM to make arrangements.

Cheers,
    David

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'd second the Niteflux Redzone 4 suggestion Franscois. The company chief, David is very friendly and helpful.
    Savvas

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Can the tail light be turned off? On the bar that seems like it would be a distraction.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Wooo Hoooo! I wonder if they read the thread? I hope that our discussion of their lights had just a little bit to do with them sending you the lights. I sure tried to do my part!

Now if they would only send the expilion 400 or the turbojet 740!
    Yay for the power of the internet!

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    1st post here!!! WoooOOOOooot!!!!

Thanks for doing this, I am in the market for a new light. Believe it or not I have a niterider I bought in the early 90s and it still works.

Sup
    the tail light is easy on the eyes
    looks cool and is easy to operate with gloves
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Francois, thanks for doing this shootout. I was going to buy a MS, but after 4-5 videos of your backyard, i just going to hold my wallet.

I had a bad experience with NITERIDER and JENSON. I bought a minewt x2 300 couple a years ago, and after 1 year of NR( probably 20-25 rides) it dies. Was a bad experience for $240.

All my regards from Mexico.

Carlos Durazo

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Francois, where will you be placing the reviews? In this thread or someplace else? Thx

Curtis

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cue003 View Post
    Francois, where will you be placing the reviews? In this thread or someplace else?
    Link near the top of the page under the banner ad
    Lights Shootout | Mountain Bike Review
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ^^^^^^ thx a bunch for the link.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks Francois for taking the time to do these tests. I, like others in this forum, am in the market for a set of lights for night riding. My local LBS's carry a very limited variety of lights. It is great to find one location where brands are compared, so we as a consumer can make better informed choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hi I'm new here but have a question on the battery spec stated by Exposure six pack MK2

the light is only 4.5 x 2.25 inches 6x XP-G-LEDs, battery included within this package of 15600Mah.
    I find this very hard to believe. I think it is 2500mAh as it only has a burn time of 3 hrs on full.
    Here's my calcs;
    it uses 6 x Cree Xp-G R6 leds = 139 lm per 350mA
    1925lm / 6 = 321lm led ok losses so as their claim 325lm led
    325 / 139 = 2.34 there fore 2.34 x 350 = 819mAh for all leds in series.
    819 x max burn time = 2457 so there fore a battery of 2500mAh
    Otherwise 15600 would give a burn time on full 19 hours.

Any one explain why they state 15600, been in touch with them but no response!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    sorry its 6 x XP-G R6 lEDs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GDES View Post
    sorry its 6 x XP-G R6 lEDs
    ... answer and rant...

Somebody probably just goofed:
    If they are running six cells in series and incorrectly multiplied each cell's capacity by 6 then you could have
    6x2600maH = 15600mAH total

However, this is WRONG. Six 2600mAH cells in series is still only 2600mAH, just at a much higher voltage.

It's not out of the question to be running in that configuration, since for a 6 cell series pack you have:
    Nominal voltage = 3.7 x 6 = 22.2V
    Full charge = 4.2 x 6 = 25.2V
    Discharged voltage = 3.0-ish x 6 = 18V

@1.5Amp, Max forward voltage of 6 XPG in series = approx. 3.5 x 6 = 21V
    @1.0Amp, Max forward voltage of 6 XPG in series = approx. 3.3 x 6 = 19.8V

So, from this it would make sense that they could be using a buck regulator and then perhaps letting it drop out of regulation as it reaches the end of the charge.

You can see that at a drive level of 1 amp you're easily pulling 20WATTS and at 1.5amp drive, you're at 31.5 WATTS.

Add 10% for controller efficiencies and you're looking at (for the XP-G R5 bin):
    23 watts, 1amp drive, 2085 (theoretical) lumens (no loss), 2.5 hour run time
    35 watts, 1.5 amp drive, 2752 (theoretical) lumens (no loss), 1 hr 38min run time

You can see from this why the lumen war beyond about 1200 to 1500 lumens starts to get ridiculous.

First of all, it is completely likely that you would NEVER NOTICE an increase from 2085 to 2752 lumens from the same light source; however, you just paid for that 32% increase in lumens with 13 WATTS and a 1hr shorter run time. In fact, starting with a 1200 lumen light, you need to more than DOUBLE the output to even have a noticeable and/or meaningful impact on the perceived brightness. At night, you can even argue that too much light intensity begins to adversely affect your peripheral awareness due to your pupils closing down.

In my opinion, going much beyond 1200 to 1500 lumens from a single light source begins to be ineffective. You're MUCH better off with two 1200+ lumen sources that can be aimed to cover greater area or more specific coverage (i.e. spot vs. flood) while staying in the efficiency "sweet spot."

The super powerful 2000+ lumen race from a single light head is cool and all, but it has definitely gone into the realm of diminishing returns in the name of 1-up-ing the competition. Again, just in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I agree it sounds like they have and a nice response thanks.

I tried a Stella 120 against a 975lm light recently and gob smacked at the very little difference in light output.

The reflector has a lot going for it, the Stella uses a custom alloy reflector with one of the narrowest beams out there, good for road use but a broader beam is required for off road riding. The alloy reflector is considerably more efficient than a polymer one!

Anyone know where I can get a decent remote switch ?
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Anxiously Awaiting Shootout

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    I will start posting this week and individual reviews on lights will come out daily.

fc
    Sorry if you have already posted but is there a url set for this year's shootout? I am desperately in need of new lights (riding at 5:00 am here in BC) and was going to put in an order next weekend but will gladly wait until you have posted.

grant

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pethelman View Post
    ... answer and rant...

You can see from this why the lumen war beyond about 1200 to 1500 lumens starts to get ridiculous.

First of all, it is completely likely that you would NEVER NOTICE an increase from 2085 to 2752 lumens from the same light source; however, you just paid for that 32% increase in lumens with 13 WATTS and a 1hr shorter run time. In fact, starting with a 1200 lumen light, you need to more than DOUBLE the output to even have a noticeable and/or meaningful impact on the perceived brightness. At night, you can even argue that too much light intensity begins to adversely affect your peripheral awareness due to your pupils closing down.
    Most of this is true. Whenever I design a new light, if it is going to have double the lumen output of a predecessor model, then I aim to give it about double the beam area. There is just no sense in increasing spot brightness. These are bicycle lights, not spotlights. And I'm really not sure there is any point going above 2000 lm. We have some very hardcore test riders at NiteFlux, with elite fitness and skill levels. Our 2000 lm model sees them physically exhausted at the end of a ride. That is, they are not able to go any harder. The lights are not the limiting factor. So, I think that there is really not much point going above 2000 lm.

As a parallel note. There was a call above for intensity readings at a distance. I would not recommend this for a bicycle lighting context. While it is common for high end hand torches to quote the distance to 1 lux, this is a very different application. Most of our bike light models have a throw of around 80m - 100m using this method. I would not be true to say that lights that shine further than this are better for cycling. The only way to get the light further is to have it more focused (= less peripheral vision) or more total output, using more battery power. Past 2000 lm with a nice spead, there is not much point really.

Bike lights will never replicate daylight no matter how much output they have. Full sunlight is tens of thousands of lumens per sq meter and there is so much light bouncing around that it looks nothing like the single source that a bike light will only ever be. Simply adding a second light does not make it like sunshine either.

Certainly there is already LED technology already to allow 5,000 lumens or more in a portable light. While we may even make a 10,000 lm model in the near future, you can be sure it wont come out as a bike light. All you riders out there take note and treat anything over 2000 lm with some healthy cynicism (not to mention a lack of thermal, and other efficiency factor de-rating in the claimed numbers for many of the offerings out there).

Cheers,
    David

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Exposure six pack MK2

Problem with this light is if they goofed why is it being advertised everywhere as having 15600mAh, if you buy one & it turns out they are wrong & it us a 2600 battery then they will have to compensate buyers or provide a 15600 battery under EU trading standards law.

Could send the company under so don't understand why they are not correcting this error or even replying.
    If I bought this light I would be well p***** ***.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    It's great to have such balanced and obviously informed comment on this forum from bike light manufacturers - thanks Stephen and David.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Yes, thanks for a great post, David.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hey Francois,

Thanks for the great work. I appreciate the fact that you reviewing road bicycling (what you call "commuter") lights even though this is a MTB site.

Any plans to test the Sigma Sport PowerLED EVO 900? 900 lumens may seem low in 2012, but this one has great optics - very even long throw beam. It works very well on my helmet with the Philips SafeRide light on the bar for trails/MTBing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GDES View Post
    Problem with this light is if they goofed why is it being advertised everywhere as having 15600mAh, if you buy one & it turns out they are wrong & it us a 2600 battery then they will have to compensate buyers or provide a 15600 battery under EU trading standards law.

Could send the company under so don't understand why they are not correcting this error or even replying.
    If I bought this light I would be well p***** ***.
    It would seem that they have a very "eager" PR department and with their "spec" sheet being widely distributed to a lot of vendors, it might be difficult to make a correction.

It does bring up a very good point though. With the competition being as tight as it is, and without some well defined "standards" in specifying bike light performance, you have to be a bit skeptical these days of most quoted specifications, unless there is supporting test data or explanation of how they arrived at the numbers.

All the more why some objective testing such as this is valuable to the cycling community in general.

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast