Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23
    Old Fart at Play
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    You asked for it!!!!!! Check out Gretna Bikes, if you can handle the sticker shock, either a Lupine Betty R,,,,,,it will knock your socks off literally, but is the best performing light in the market 3600 measured lumens. Or to ease the pocket book a little,,, the Wilma with 2400 measured lumens and super long burn times with the 11.2Ah Smartcore battery. I'm ordering two Betty R's myself any day now as i will be able to control both my lamp heads with a single wireless remote. Can't wait!!!
    No wonder you're indebt!
    "... displays the social skills of a barrel cactus." - TNC

Now older but less slow!
    Need to add the Cygolite TridenX 1100 to the shootout. I just got mine yesterday and have already ridden it in the dark. I'm super impressed by its light output and run times (I have the Xtra version).

Not too bad a price either (I got mine for $270) though they list at $350.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The lupine betty with the 17,5 Ah battery will be the brightest and longest lasting solution, but before buying it, have a look at it in real live!

It is insanely brigth, your old firestorm produced about 350/400 lumen , the betty 3600 lumen!

So before spending money, ask yourself: do I need more light on my bike than on a car?

A single light is also less efficient than a combination helmet/ bars!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Nothing's impossible View Post
    The lupine betty with the 17,5 Ah battery will be the brightest and longest lasting solution, but before buying it, have a look at it in real live!

It is insanely brigth, your old firestorm produced about 350/400 lumen , the betty 3600 lumen!

So before spending money, ask yourself: do I need more light on my bike than on a car?

A single light is also less efficient than a combination helmet/ bars!
    No-no.
    The Betty is a little puppy compared to Full-Beam's latest toy, the X12.
    Full Beam - High Performance Bike Lights

As I heard NASA ordered a couple for their new prototype rockets...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    That X-12 is a monster in output. Would only be a bar light though unless your a football player with a 23" neck. That's just crazy!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by radirpok View Post
    No-no.
    The Betty is a little puppy compared to Full-Beam's latest toy, the X12.
    Full Beam - High Performance Bike Lights

As I heard NASA ordered a couple for their new prototype rockets...
    That is one damn bright light. One up-man points earned.

I figure the battery for these must weigh about 4 lbs. Down side is I'd have to spend more than I paid for my FS bike to get one.

Oh, Oh! I almost forgot the kicker question: Does it run on a MagicShine battery?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    4500 lumen, that is a crazy lot of light, but i guess you will need to look twice to notice the difference between 3600 and 4500 lumen, it's not a puppy vs a dog, it's just a bit more insane!

Just to put things in perspective, older 55 watt halogen bulbs strugle to reach 1000 lumen output, and older reflector optics with a diffuser lens have an efficiency under 27%,so a lot of cars on the road have a total OTF output under 600 lumen, HID bulbs produce 2800-3200 lumen, and modern projector optics have an efficiency a bit over 50%, ..

Ok, they don't spill half of the light into the air, but carligths and windscreens seldom are clean, ....

Slovakia (Europe)
    Both mentioned above ale little puppies compared to Czech project Zora Scorpion that delivers astonish 6150 lumens (output, ANSI) in 6 XM-L/U2 version with special copper PCB or 4850 lumens with standard (alu?) PCB. The English version of the pages is not finished yet (partly only), but all important information is understandable from the tables and graphs (e.g. comparisons with Lupine Betty14).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Both mentioned above ale little puppies compared to Czech project Zora Scorpion that delivers astonish 6150 lumens (output, ANSI) in 6 XM-L/U2 version with special copper PCB or 4850 lumens with standard (alu?) PCB. The English version of the pages is not finished yet (partly only), but all important information is understandable from the tables and graphs (e.g. comparisons with Lupine Betty14).
    AWESOME!....Looking forward to the English website and the beam shots.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I would wait for next years 10 000 lumen version, that must be the bare minimum for mountainbiking!
    And in case off a calamity you don't need a cellphone anymore, you can just point your light into the sky in SOS mode and the people from the international spacestation will alert the earth ;-)

Slovakia (Europe)
    Surely 10,000 lumens is minimum for mountain biking, so I always wonder, how can I ride with 700 OTF lumens on the handlebar plus 500 OTF lumens on the helmet...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Hey Peter that light looks great.
    At that price I might just consider buying two of those!
    And Francois, if you are listening, you just absolutely gotta get your hands on one of these for your next shootout

Now older but less slow!
    OTF? What does that mean?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryn View Post
    OTF? What does that mean?
    Out The Front. OTF lumens refers to the net or "real" lumen output after all losses from optics, thermal buildup etc are taken into account.
    This is opposed to the theoretical max emitter output that the vast majority of light manufacturers quote.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    In general I don't need 10 000 lumen, 560 and 360 lumen do the trick!

Here I rode with the piko at the bars at 900 lumen (the camera tends to need a lot of light) and 560 lumen on the helmet.Most people ride a lot less light!

mtbr member
    One think I've noticed is that when it's wet I need more lumen to see the same as when it's dry. When it's raining, I need way more lumen than when it's just wet. When it's a little foggy, it doesn't matter how much you have, it's just hard to see I've found that mounting the light up higher on my helmet helps in the rain/fog, especially with a visor on my helmet.
    "It looks flexy"

Light freak

I like riding bikes in the dark

Untitled from Jay Buthman on Vimeo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Scar, that is a cool video!

But for me, I wouldn't take it as fast on a first run, no matter how much lumen!
    And after a few runs, knowing what 's coming, I wouldn't need more light than I normallly run!

about meteo,

in the fog I need to ride slow, 300 lumen down on the fork is ideal.
    In the mud i ride a bit slower to, I most like the handlebar pointed down as a closby flood (not to brigth to avoid hotspots) and the helmet as a main lightsource providing a big brigth flood. i didn't profit yet from more light than 1500 combined lumen.

In dry condttions I use both lights pointed far away, in general more power on the handlebar, the full 1800 lumen is nice, but it's not making me ride faster than 1000 combined lumen.

Now older but less slow!
    Since I got my TridenX 1100 on the bars with my MityCross 480 on my helmet that I simply can't peddle fast enough any more to warrant more powerful lights.

I may swap out my 480 on the helmet for the MityCross 800 but I see no urgency in that need.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus Maximus View Post
    No wonder you're indebt!
    Lol,, actually i'm doing OK Titus Maximus, but you are right,,,, i do spend to much money on bike lights.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23