Quote Originally Posted by VAIronman View Post
    What lights were #3?
    NiteRider Pro 3000...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Good lights

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Now that night season is upon us will some more testing commence?......Francois you out there?
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    All I can say is I'm glad I didn't wait for the reviews!

I rode all season last winter with two Xeras on the bars. One optic, one reflector...ridiculous. Turned one off when I didn't need it, but then got lazy and found I could easily run both on high for my after work rides which are only 1-1.5 hours. Inexpensive, flawless performance, well made, light. Im sold.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sbd View Post
    All I can say is I'm glad I didn't wait for the reviews!

I rode all season last winter with two Xeras on the bars. One optic, one reflector...ridiculous. Turned one off when I didn't need it, but then got lazy and found I could easily run both on high for my after work rides which are only 1-1.5 hours. Inexpensive, flawless performance, well made, light. Im sold.
    Yup, The Xera's are super impressive. I bought at pre intro price and glad I did ending up with that free 2n'd lighthead they offered. Wish he had done the final review on it but we know it's outstanding without that. I got a MS 856 on the bars and the combo is amazing. Plenty of lights got sent in that never received their final write-ups which was to bad. Overwhelming task to test everything I know.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

What I'd like to see

I need lots of light. Prefer helmet mounted. I'd like to see what is out there without the limiting factor of price.

I'll pay for daylight in the dark, so-to-speak

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phread View Post
    I need lots of light. Prefer helmet mounted. I'd like to see what is out there without the limiting factor of price.

You can always mount up a giant light up there, but I'm guessing weight is also a factor. I've found that my preferred method of lighting is a super bright bar light lots of flood, and a lighter spot light on the helmet. Here's why I like that: the helmet light goes where you're looking, which "should" be down trail so you want it to throw a ways. The further it throws, the sooner you can see where you're going. This is especially helpful at high speeds, but not so much on tight, twisty, or wooded sections.

FWIW, I run a modest 1600 lumen flood on the bars, and a 900 on the helmet. If money were no option and I was buying today, here's what I would go with:

Bars: NiteRider Pro 3600

Helmet: Baja Designs Strykr SL - 925 lumen (and use spot reflector)
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    How 'bout that. I am considering the 3600, but for the helmet, I thought that the Xera LED might be a winner. 850 Lumens and only 52 gm light and 122 gm battery (helmet mounted).

mtbr member
    How 'bout that. I am considering the 3600, but for the helmet, I thought that the Xera LED might be a winner. 850 Lumens and only 52 gm light and 122 gm battery (helmet mounted).
    Xera is a great light and I have a couple friends that run them. More of a wide beam pattern. Good choice for the helmet as you can put everything up there. Almost got one myself so I wouldnt have to deal with the wire into the pack.

sent via tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

A piko on the helm (a 55 gram light producing about 900 measured lumens) combined with a broad wilma (2400 real lumens) or betty R (3600 lumens) on the bars does about that.

Question is , why?

Is not amused
    Could someone explain to me how my set up has me confused or something could be wrong. I'm new to running a good set up *IMO* and last night my helmet light seemed to be brighter or cut through the beam of my bar light. More information on this here: New Niterider Pro 1800 Race LED - Anyone?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    Could someone explain to me how my set up has me confused or something could be wrong. I'm new to running a good set up *IMO* and last night my helmet light seemed to be brighter or cut through the beam of my bar light. More information on this here: New Niterider Pro 1800 Race LED - Anyone?
    Your 600 has more of a spot pattern, so the light is concentrated into a smaller spot. Don't sweat it, this is how it should be! But you should try pointing your head light further down trail, so you can see more of what's coming up.

Is not amused
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    Your 600 has more of a spot pattern, so the light is concentrated into a smaller spot. Don't sweat it, this is how it should be! But you should try pointing your head light further down trail, so you can see more of what's coming up.
    All right, thank you, I thought I was going nuts last night and I'm new to the spot/flood set up.

How is your thoughts on that set up even if you don't run it given the 600 for spot the 1800 for flood?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    All right, thank you, I thought I was going nuts last night and I'm new to the spot/flood set up.

How is your thoughts on that set up even if you don't run it given the 600 for spot the 1800 for flood?
    That's a great setup, and more than enough light. I've got a similar setup with a MJ-872 1600 lumen on the bars and a MS900 on the helmet which puts out around 600 actual lumens. I point the helmet light about 50 feet down trail, and the bar light about 20 feet. This makes it so that I have a fully illuminated area in front of my bike I don't even need to move my head to see (like riding in the day time). And the helmet light points far down trail for fast riding and to let me know what is coming up. I've run lights in all different combinations and this works the best for me. YMMV.

Is not amused
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    That's a great setup, and more than enough light. I've got a similar setup with a MJ-872 1600 lumen on the bars and a MS900 on the helmet which puts out around 600 actual lumens. I point the helmet light about 50 feet down trail, and the bar light about 20 feet. This makes it so that I have a fully illuminated area in front of my bike I don't even need to move my head to see (like riding in the day time). And the helmet light points far down trail for fast riding and to let me know what is coming up. I've run lights in all different combinations and this works the best for me. YMMV.
    Again thank you for the help and nice set up as well for you. I'll try projecting them tonight like you said above as last night I had them set up pointing around the same feet of projection. The trails around here are tight wooded twisty single track so until I find a open trail I won't see the true potential of these lights.

Side note: Has anyone done a test on the Niterider 1800? Last years 1500 came in at 1100 actual lumens.

swag ho Administrator
    The new testing is coming. I already have a ton of new lights and I will use the integrating spheres at Lezyne and Light and Motion factories.

Sorry I ran out of steam last year. Just too many copies of the same light

This year, I will hit it hard for a solid two months.

fc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    the new testing is coming. I already have a ton of new lights and i will use the integrating spheres at lezyne and light and motion factories.

Sorry i ran out of steam last year. Just too many copies of the same light

this year, i will hit it hard for a solid two months.

Fc
    welcome back!
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    The new testing is coming. I already have a ton of new lights and I will use the integrating spheres at Lezyne and Light and Motion factories.

Sorry I ran out of steam last year. Just too many copies of the same light

This year, I will hit it hard for a solid two months.

fc
    Looking forward to your reviews Francois. Cheers!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Wow, it's been a year?

Go Giants!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy you are available to do this.

MB

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Nice work on this thread

mtbr member
    I have all kinds of lights but lately I've been riding with just an easy2led 3x XPG setup on my helmet. It's plenty of light and I've got an even brighter light engine coming that should take it over the top.
    "It looks flexy"

...I'm special.

OK, ...but what lights?

...I dusted off my old school Niterider Firestorm and found that either the bulb, ballast or electronics is fried.
    Niterider says that I would be better off going with new technology, for serious/technical nocturnal trail riding.

And, there are other choices out there.

I was looking at the Niterider Pro 1800 LED but concerned about the burn time and actual brightness.
    The Light and Motion Seca 1700 Enduro looks promising, but it's a pricier unit and I am not sure about the mounting (helmet and/or bar).

Whattaya recomend?
    Brightest, longest burn time, solid mounting ...I want it all.
    ...gabba-gabba-hey!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by doof View Post
    ...I dusted off my old school Niterider Firestorm and found that either the bulb, ballast or electronics is fried.
    Niterider says that I would be better off going with new technology, for serious/technical nocturnal trail riding.

And, there are other choices out there.

I was looking at the Niterider Pro 1800 LED but concerned about the burn time and actual brightness.
    The Light and Motion Seca 1700 Enduro looks promising, but it's a pricier unit and I am not sure about the mounting (helmet and/or bar).

Whattaya recomend?
    Brightest, longest burn time, solid mounting ...I want it all.
    You asked for it!!!!!! Check out Gretna Bikes, if you can handle the sticker shock, either a Lupine Betty R,,,,,,it will knock your socks off literally, but is the best performing light in the market 3600 measured lumens. Or to ease the pocket book a little,,, the Wilma with 2400 measured lumens and super long burn times with the 11.2Ah Smartcore battery. I'm ordering two Betty R's myself any day now as i will be able to control both my lamp heads with a single wireless remote. Can't wait!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Agreed. Lupine Betty is the end all be all of lights.

J.

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast