Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    Color me suprised. I thought mtbr was his job. Really.
    Add me to that list. People shouldn't be surprised though that not all lights get reviewed. Add to that you have to remember that MTBR makes money from ads from many bike light manufacturers and vendors. Supplying reviews of bike lights that don't place ads on their web site isn't going to be a high priority or make brownie points with the people paying for ads.

For what it's worth, if someone wasn't paying me to review all those lamps I sure as heck wouldn't be in any kind of hurry.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RBrady View Post
    Pretty sure he works a day job and well as having a family gticlay. Don't let it get you down. Push away from the keyboard and ride your bike. It's good for you.
    I'm with you on the "don't let it get you down" part. We all like our bike lights, but the world won't stop turning on account of a few unfinished reviews. However, unless I'm misreading your posts I do think you may be missing out on the mtbr.com / Francois' day job connection that others are referring to.

Cat-Man-Do ; it doesn't seem like the paid adverts have anything to do with it. For example, Gemini has ads running, and there's no Xera review yet.

In the grand scheme of business operations that make up mtbr, it's more likely that some other items took the priority slot for now.

mtbr member
    I actually don't understand the don't let it get you down comment. All I was saying is that I thought it was his day job, not that I'd depressed. I have my lights for the year - Xera's and perhaps an Olympia and/or the new X2, plus the Quazzle triple I built and the 7-up I'm finally finishing up...
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    photo 3 looks awesome

Diagnosed with MTB.
    I know Francis received the demo lights at different times. In fairness of the test, he may have wanted to wait to have all the lights together before shooting. To compare a beam shot, you need to have all lights on deck available or you'll have to do the shoot all over again. And I think there were over 50 lights this year.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Lights View Post
    I know Francis received the demo lights at different times. In fairness of the test, he may have wanted to wait to have all the lights together before shooting. To compare a beam shot, you need to have all lights on deck available or you'll have to do the shoot all over again. And I think there were over 50 lights this year.
    I've been riding the Gemini Xera and other new lights. I should have results ready this week.

francis

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    I've been riding the Gemini Xera and other new lights. I should have results ready this week.

francis
    Looking forward to it.

swag ho Administrator
    The Jet F-1 is up. Very nice flashlight!!!!

JetLites F-1 – 2012 Mtbr Lights Shootout | Mountain Bike Review

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    The Jet F-1 is up. Very nice flashlight!!!!

JetLites F-1 2012 Mtbr Lights Shootout | Mountain Bike Review
    Nice light indeed. The "package" only comes with helmet mount. You have to pay more for bar mount The helmet mount looks solid.

The Jet F-1 appears to be a "traditional" flashlight approach with a dedicated mount attached to it. There are many "flashlight" manufactures that are in this price range with same or more output, same battery choices, similar or better runtime, etc. The downside of these flashlight manufactures I am referring to is they don't have the dedicated mount but there are mounting systems that are out there that will start to blur the lines between dedicated bike systems and flashlight systems with 3rd party mounting options.

Good choice with them using the Panasonic 3100mah batteries.

JetLight's charger looks IDENTICAL to the Ultrafire WF-139.... hmmm

mtbr member
    550 lumen from the Jet F-1 is a bit low, however. There should have been a 1 hr run time 'boost' option for 900 lumen, especially since you can swap out cells.

Edit to add: If the Diablo mk3 can output 900 lumen and not over head this one should be able to as well. Dunno if they still are but they had the Mk3 for $220 a few days ago. The main problem with the Diablo, of course, is that the cell isn't swapable like on the F-1 and you have to buy their expensive piggyback. DOH! I should make my own product
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    If you check the lux measurments gticlay, the 550 lumen Jet is out performing the 975 lumen Diablo 71lux vs. 59lux. Beam pattern however may go to the Diablo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    If you check the lux measurments gticlay, the 550 lumen Jet is out performing the 975 lumen Diablo 71lux vs. 59lux. Beam pattern however may go to the Diablo.

Holey Moley, you are right. I should have looked at that. Huge difference.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    With just one spare battery, one would get 3+ solid hours of run time on full blast. Looks like a front runner on helmet torches if you like a reflector style beam pattern.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    With just one spare battery, one would get 3+ solid hours of run time on full blast. Looks like a front runner on helmet torches if you like a reflector style beam pattern.
    I actually don't like that beam at all. The new xera has the best "flashlight head" style beam pattern - larger than a reflector pattern, very little artifact issues, but not too floody either. It mixes extremely well with my DIY 1100 lumen quazzle light.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Same here. I have both reflector and optic style lamps and for me i prefer optics. For those who prefer reflector, this Jet is one kick A$$ torch.

Action LED Lights
    Francois, one question I have is what is the light output over the length of the discharge. Providing the proper voltage to the LED from a single cell requires the driver to boost the voltage rather than just control the current. This type of circuit is often rather inefficient and as a result many lights just supply battery voltage once it drops below a certain level. The result is that the light output slowly drops as the battery drains.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Has everyone given up on this light shootout? It started over 3 months ago and still not finished!! I would like to see the DS-1300 reviewed close up, or perhaps the X2 (1200 lumens).

I think the task at hand was too large to take on. It's a shame really, because that was one of the key components to why I highly regarded mtbr.com. GET THE REVIEWS UP!!! mtbR <--- R stands for REVIEW. The only two things I come here for is the mtb product reviews, light shootout and forums (okay maybe three). All else is just fluff!! The news articles are just regurgitated crap from other mtb websites. We need our meat and potatoes.

Also good work on the website update. It was much needed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I think it is dead, but francois did put up a few new lights a few weeks back. I too have been waiting for the DS-1300 review, along with the DS-500 taillight.

Personally, I wonder how the manufacturers of the lights he didn't review reacted. I mean everyone sent him their wares in hopes to get their stuff promoted online. After all MTBR is a pretty active community and their review carries a lot of weight. For many manufacturers, this was to be their first showing in the shootout, so I wonder when next year comes around what is going to happen. Will everyone be eager to send in samples to MTBR to review? Even if this review is completed, many manufacturers have had a 3 month head start on the others so is it really fair.

I know francois got bogged down with his life, perhaps he could have passed the ball over to someone else to finish up, I am sure there would have been plenty of people in his area that could have completed it for him and MTBR.

- Roger

35+ yrs and still not pro
    I didn't see any review or even ramblings about the Trail Tech. Anyone know anything about these? Single LED 35mm at Trail Tech Home

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Axa 50 Plus

I just bought an Axa 50 Nano from work, I have to say it's an amazing light whether it be road biking at night or downhill, Dynamo powered at heart, 50 lux, usb charging(when not using the light). I can charge my iphone while I bike to work, it's amazing.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    ****ing bright

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Betcha light number 3 will keep you warm during cold winter rides!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Is a CREE light basically the same as Magic Shine?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    don't want it too bright haha

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by bunnymun View Post
    Is a CREE light basically the same as Magic Shine?
    CREE is the brand name of the LED used in Magicshine's and the counterfeit Magicshine lights you are probably referring to. CREE does not build bike lights, they only sell the LED.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast