Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gocycling View Post
    Francois,

In the 2012 Shootout review for the Exposure Diablo, I think you have an error. This year's light for 2012 is NOT twice as bright as last year's light. 59 lux for 2012 (mk.3) and 63 lux for 2010 (mk.2) (IIRC). Last year's 2011 model (mk.2) is significantly brighter than the one for 2010 (which came in about 37 Lux I believe).

Thanks for all the great work that you have been doing!
    Thank you much bro!

fc

Your killing my Strava
    Videos no longer work
    We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    ...you´re videos were great and it´s a big loss for us here, that your youtube account is still not working...

Regards from Germany!

SR--71

Is not amused
    Thank you for the reviews francois! The niterider mini 600 was working great until I improved. Now it's time so save for brighter lights.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Hello Francois,

This is Vag from Gloworm Manufacturing.

We are producing a new light system and we would love to get reviewed by you. We know it is pretty late for the Lights Shootout but we are looking forward for some feedback and a review.

More details of our light system will be posted on the forum soon.

On behalf of the Gloworm Manufacturing team,
    Vag

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hey Francois, when will the videos and the rest of the reviews be available for the rest of the lights? Also, are you going to review the new Jet Lites x-51?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Lost Scott Genius LT before Night Ride

I was all loaded up with my new MagicShine for a perfect Night Ride and my bike fell off the rack. I don't know what I did wrong, I've racked it 100 times...Somewhere around San Tomas Expressway in Campbell...I was on my way to ride in Los Gatos... So Bummed...
    408-314-6636 if you know anything

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Sorry to hear about that, what kind of rack is it and where is it attached? I ask because I use a Thule trunk rack

mtbr member
    This isn't going to help you now but might help others. When using trunk or roof racks it might be a good idea use some kind of fail-safe. I would think a simple hook-bungee cord system ( $6 ) might do the trick. It could keep you from losing your next bike. I no longer use a roof rack but when I did I know I got home at least once and realized that I forgot to lock the fork mount tray. Crap happens.

swag ho Administrator
    The lights are rolling again. I'll get the rest of the reviews out this week.

fc

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hello,

Is it me? I can't find any new light reviews for a month. Francois, you OK?

- Roger

Is not amused
    Wouldn't mind the Serfas True 1500 but don't really have the money. So my question to all of you. Does anyone have any experience with the Serfas True 1000? It seems to be the same case but with 1000 lumens. Can anyone confirm the real actual lumens and lux with run times for the 1000? It say's online at jenson that it will run up to 3.5 hours on high at peak output. So for 100$ less is it worth it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    Wouldn't mind the Serfas True 1500 but don't really have the money. So my question to all of you. Does anyone have any experience with the Serfas True 1000? It seems to be the same case but with 1000 lumens. Can anyone confirm the real actual lumens and lux with run times for the 1000? It say's online at jenson that it will run up to 3.5 hours on high at peak output. So for 100$ less is it worth it?
    Search around. I saw Serfas 1500 on sale for waaaaaay less than retail somewhere... maybe jensonusa or wheelworld. Maybe it was on fleabay. All under $300.

But if you have a dumpy light (any light), Baja will give you a substantial discount and their stuff is tough.

Also, there's 15% off $300 right now at bikebling so $255 for something $300.
    "It looks flexy"

Is not amused
    ^^^ Thanks for the advice.

mtbr member
    a friend who works at a bike shop recently bought a Serfas 1000. It's a nice light, similar in brightness to my DIY helmet light (most likely ~800 true lumens) but very spotty/torch/flashlight beam. Throws great, but I couldn't deal with the beam pattern although some might like it on the helmet.

mtbr member
    A riding buddy has the Serfas 1000 and it's the same size as the 1500, but lower output. It looks to be a great light, but honestly I think it's a bit overpriced compared to the current offerings. Definitely a well made light, but it's fairly large and doesn't put out a ton of light. For the weight and size penalty, I'd want to have a LOT of light.

If you're on a budget the Gemini Xera is really hard to beat. Another riding buddy has the Xera and it is nice and bright with a good balance between spot and flood. Great for either the helmet or the bars, and it's TINY, and lightweight. He runs the whole deal on the helmet, battery and light, which is pretty awesome. It sucks to have to fool with cables when you need to rummage in your backpack or change a tube during a ride. For the same price you can get the Magicshine MJ-872, which puts out a ton of light. I'm running one on my bars, and the flood is awesome. No throw, so it's not a good "only light" to run, but it's great when paired with a spot beam on the helmet.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    The lights are rolling again. I'll get the rest of the reviews out this week.

fc
    When will we see more reviews?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Time to update the Lux vs. Lumen chart again. The previous version included 15 lights... the new chart almost doubles this to 28. The latest 13 lights are in bold.

When Francis publishes additional reviews that includes the Lux and Lumen data, I'll update the chart again.

Just to recap...
    1. Lux and Lumens are different measurements of light output and normally shouldn't be directly compared to each other.

2. However, based on how Francis conducts his Lux readings (i.e. indirect via ceiling bounce), he is turning his room into a 'quasi' integrating sphere...

3. This has allowed correlation between the 'quick and easy' Lux measurements that Francis routinely conducts with the precise Lumen readings that were measured in Lezyne's integrating sphere.

4. Since a reasonable (as defined by me) correlation can be calculated - we can estimate the lumen output of older lights that Francis has previously measured Lux for... or we can estimate lumen output for current lights (2012 Shootout) that came too late to go to the Lezyne integrating sphere - or the shape of the lighthead precluded taking integrating sphere measurements.

5. The correlation for Lux vs Lumens IS ONLY APPLICABLE TO LUX MEASUREMENTS AS CONDUCTED BY FRANCIS since his setup is unique for size/shape of room, contents of the room, color and reflectance of paint, position of Lux meter to lightheads, etc.

6. The AVERAGE multiplication factor so far is: MTBR LUX x 9.5 = estimated LUMENS

This is typically accurate to within ~15% of actual measured lumens.

A 'lazy' calculation is: MTBR LUX x 10 = estimated LUMENS

This is typically accurate to within ~20% of actual measured lumens.

7. 28 down... approximately 25 more to go.

MTBR Lux vs Lumens 010412
    Last edited by abacojeff; 01-04-2012 at 07:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Well, we haven't heard from francois for well over a month. I guess this review is dead. A shame because there were some pretty good lights left to be reviewed. Maybe the task was just too big of an undertaking, I can understand that.

RIP francois,

- Roger

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Huston View Post
    Well, we haven't heard from francois for well over a month. I guess this review is dead. A shame because there were some pretty good lights left to be reviewed. Maybe the task was just too big of an undertaking, I can understand that.

RIP francois,

- Roger
    I have been logging in eagerly awaiting new reviews as well. I understand Francois is a father, a programmer, a husband, etc... so I'm not going come down on him. Hopefully he knows his work is appriciated and we are all hoping for more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yes, I understand that people are busy. However a busy man would say, I am overloaded right now, it will be a month before I can get back to it. Something else is going on here because the last word from francios is that the rest of the reviews were going to be posted "this week" and that was back in November. Then nothing. So my fear is that something happened to francois and no one from mtbr has said one word at to what may be going on.

- Roger

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    It will soon be out on the big screen "what happened to Francis". Seriously guys, is that all you have to worry about. I'm betting the man has other obligations. LOL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RBrady View Post
    It will soon be out on the big screen "what happened to Francis". Seriously guys, is that all you have to worry about. I'm betting the man has other obligations. LOL
    Color me suprised. I thought mtbr was his job. Really.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    Color me suprised. I thought mtbr was his job. Really.
    Pretty sure he works a day job and well as having a family gticlay. Don't let it get you down. Push away from the keyboard and ride your bike. It's good for you.

addicted to chunk
    Just pick a light, buy it, and ride!
    Riding.....

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast