Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    It seems I struck a chord that others can resonate with. The problem I see with using lux meters is deciding just where to place them. Some people favor lights with wide close in beam patterns. That would require using the meter(s) used more close in and spread farther apart. Others like myself want distance readings to help judge which throw the farthest.. Yes, it would be nice to have but it would be tedious to set up and record to say the least.

Francois, if you decide to include direct throw lux readings and don't mind playing with the distances a bit it would be quite awesome. ( Particularly with the brighter lights )

Direct path beam pattern lux readings are just not that good (pointing the light directly at the light meter). It's very hard to do and lux readings vary widely as one gets a few mm off center. I don't think I can do it well enough to be useful.

There's a new light company in San Luis Obispo called Lezyne. They have a $40,000 integrating sphere that measures light output. I have free access to it so I just might drive there to measure all these lights.

Just fyi to others, the way I measure light output is by pointing the light to the ceiling of a controlled room and measuring the ambient light in the room. It is a pseudo integrating sphere and it actually really good. I just did it for all the 2012 lights and it still agrees with my beam photos well.
    Bike Light Meter Setup for measuring output | Mountain Bike Review

fc

swag ho Administrator
    This is the new testing grounds with last year's lights.

2011 Bike Lights Shootout Long Range Beam Pattern Photos | Mountain Bike Review

Please note that these are last year's lights.

fc
    Last edited by francois; 09-20-2011 at 08:29 AM.

mtbr member
    you're welcome. I had this problem trying to capture the beam patterns on my collection of DIY lights that ranges from 100 - 2000lm. 2s with a Cateye EL320 (?) wasn't any different to moonlight, 6s with my dual XM-L@3A was like daylight

I also think the ceiling bounce/ wall shots are still useful for getting an idea of how the light is distributed within the beam. That together with the outdoors beam patterns should give people a good idea what it should look like.

mtbr member
    will you be testing the new hope R4 and R8?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dereknz View Post
    If you were to do light meter readings from a distance I would also recommend multiple readings too. I did a test in July on 4 similar xml light heads to measure light fall off from the center. Meter reading at 20m distance, readings from the center, at 1m either side of center and at 2m either side. The 4 similar lights all had different beam patterns and different size hot spots which reflected on my lux meter results.

Also including beam patterns on a white board to also help compare similar lights beam patterns

This along with Cat's suggestion of some quantitative measure of throw would do it. I think this (above) gives us some measure of the spread, size and utility of the beam and the throw tells us how far out it ultimately reaches. Digital photos are nice, but I think people are making determinations from them that are no longer valid in practice.

j.
    Last edited by JohnJ80; 09-20-2011 at 12:55 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Francois,

Do we have an estimated ETA before seeing the first round of results? Are we talking 1 month, 2 months out etc? I am looking to make a rather large purchase and am unable to get my hands on these lights locally so your reviews will be very helpful in framing my decisions. Especially on the lupine with the various beam angles and xpg/xml color rendition/configurations.

Thanks

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cue003 View Post
    Francois,

Do we have an estimated ETA before seeing the first round of results? Are we talking 1 month, 2 months out etc? I am looking to make a rather large purchase and am unable to get my hands on these lights locally so your reviews will be very helpful in framing my decisions. Especially on the lupine with the various beam angles and xpg/xml color rendition/configurations.

Thanks
    one week!!!

Then there will be a major update in November.

fc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    one week!!!

fc
    ++++...Make sure you get a recent issue of the DiNotte 1200L+ which is suppose to be tweaked for more output. You might have to contact them to verify you have the newest version.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    will you be testing the new hope R4 and R8?
    Make sure you get a recent issue of the DiNotte 1200L+ which is suppose to be tweaked for more output. You might have to contact them to verify you have the newest version.
    I'll second both of these requests
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    n/a
    Last edited by suba; 09-20-2011 at 01:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Second vote for beam shots on dirt/trail and battery life at High, medium and low. Also maybe LUX output at eh various setting as well would be helpful.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I can't wait to see the new Lupine Betty.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    one week!!!

fc
    Awesome. Looking forward to the outcome. Really hoping you have all the lupine TL series (Betty, Wilma, Piko) in this first pass.

Especially up against the Exposure light family.
    Last edited by cue003; 09-21-2011 at 06:21 AM.

apocalypse MEOW!
    Francois, your tests are the BEST!

I have to say, as someone building up a rig from good components, I had sticker shock.

To second what some others have urged, it would be more useful than anything else if you could write up a section in the shootout that targets commuting / lower-priced setups. This fall, I've got a 10-mile commute up winding, unlit, bumpy 2-lane roads -- in the rain. Like others, I need to know: "What's the minimum adequate setup for commuting like this?"

Please include a section on rear / safety light options too.

Currently I'm leaning toward the Niterider MiNewt 600 Cordless for this job. I want to see it compared with others, esp. the L&Ms, as the 600 seems pretty bright. Want to know if I'm on the right track.

Many thanks!

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by a.k.a. View Post
    Francois, your tests are the BEST!

I have to say, as someone building up a rig from good components, I had sticker shock.

To second what some others have urged, it would be more useful than anything else if you could write up a section in the shootout that targets commuting / lower-priced setups. This fall, I've got a 10-mile commute up winding, unlit, bumpy 2-lane roads -- in the rain. Like others, I need to know: "What's the minimum adequate setup for commuting like this?"

Please include a section on rear / safety light options too.

Currently I'm leaning toward the Niterider MiNewt 600 Cordless for this job. I want to see it compared with others, esp. the L&Ms, as the 600 seems pretty bright. Want to know if I'm on the right track.

Many thanks!

There will definitely be a commuter section. Maybe tail lights too.

fc

mtbr member
    There will definitely be a commuter section. Maybe tail lights too.

fc
    Dear Ultralord Francois,

Two things: would you do me a favor and PM me your shipping address - I can't find your card. Secondly I am curious about the tail lights too, I look forward to that!

Thanks,

Shannon

mtbr member
    The way I did my 20m light fall off meter test was to use a timber paling fence. I set up a hairline cross target on the fence with tape and taped marks 1 and 2m from the target either side. Light meter was hand held against the fence. With the light on using the meter I would find the spot with with highest lux reading and the light head would then be adjusted until this spot was in the middle of the hairline cross target. This worked on the single led lights I was tested, may be hard to align multi led lights
    Self employed picture framer, selling the odd cycle part/light as a sideline
    youtube / strava. Back on a bike after 25years

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm looking forward to your review, too. How do you define commuter lights? Will that only be lights that have only less lumen, with a special beam throw or long lasting?

+1 for tail lights...

mtbr member
    Any idea on when it will be done?

swag ho Administrator
    Everyone is signing up for the lights shootout now!!! I still don't have Cygolite and Dinotte.

For interbike, Exposure and Lupine sponsored our presence. Please thank them for me. Here's a couple videos we shot of their line.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Interesting that the lupine video did not make any mention to the Betty TL. Has it been delayed?

apocalypse MEOW!
    Tail lights really worth reviewing:

Cygolite Hotshot 2W
    DesignShine DS-500
    DiNotte 140
    DiNotte 300
    Magicshine MJ-818
    NiteFLUX RedZone 4
    Planet Bike Super Flash Turbo
    Portland Design Works Danger Zone

Side-visible models:

Bike Brightz
    Cateye TL-LD1100
    Cateye Orbits
    Down Low Glow Dual Tube [discontinued]
    Fibre Flare
    MonkeyLectric
    NiteFLUX RedZone 4
    Nite Ize Spokelit
    Trek Beacon Bar End Light
    Last edited by a.k.a.; 09-22-2011 at 10:44 PM.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cue003 View Post
    Interesting that the lupine video did not make any mention to the Betty TL. Has it been delayed?
    It is alive and well. It is a fearsome weapon like the old maglite. But instead of blunt force, you can defend yourself with light force

I had fun with it as I put the Wilma battery on it. It small and hideously bright.

fc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Mtbr Lights Shootout.-dsc_0104.jpg  

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    I think it may be too late, but when possible, I'd like to hear your opinion of long-term durability based on your riding experiences and that of your friends & peers. I don't want to save $100 on a light i'll need to replace in a year. Also, similarly, appreciate hearing your thoughts on warranties, customer support and your interactions with the company reps & owners.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    I think it may be too late, but when possible, I'd like to hear your opinion of long-term durability based on your riding experiences and that of your friends & peers. I don't want to save $100 on a light i'll need to replace in a year. Also, similarly, appreciate hearing your thoughts on warranties, customer support and your interactions with the company reps & owners.
    It's never too late! This will take our collective efforts. I will link each editorial review to the user reviews section where there is a broad history of usage by mtbr members.

You all have to remember that it is your duty to write reviews in our Lights user reviews section!

Here's a photo of the current lights. There's more coming!!!

fc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Mtbr Lights Shootout.-308098_10150326977518213_611473212_8033008_35621566_n.jpg  

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast