Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    swag ho Administrator
    Here's my teaser video

I'm used the Lezyne facility cause I know them and trust them. The Cal Poly guys there are smart. Two of us mtbrs were present during the testing process and I learned a lot.

They are entering the lights market and I saw and measured their pre-production lights. As a bonus to them, they get to see my data and I did a factory tour video on their other product lines.

Last edited by francois; 10-17-2011 at 12:30 PM.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    That is a sweet testing setup.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    I have soooo much data that my Ipad is going to explode

I'll start releasing some stuff on this thread today. I'd like you guys to help me analyze it and help me draw som conclusions and parameters.

Make me some cool graphs too.

fc
    Hello Francois,

I am new to this forum, and it is the opinions that I am the most interested in once the raw data is presented. I liked your review of the Niterider Minewt 600, but I would personally like to hear more personal commentary.

For example:
    1. Compare it to other lights in the class, or the class above. You reviewed the Piko, how does this compare? Is it a fair comparison as this light is less than half the cost of the Piko?

2. Would you use this as a helmet or handlebar light and what other light would you pair it with? "It has a light fruity taste with just a hint of peach and as such would be paired best with Chicken or even desert."

For me, your opinion matters most. You are the only one of us who can see all the lights next to each other so please go beyond the numbers and being so objective. Be a bit more subjective, please. So in conjunction with #2, while it may not be the best light for off-road, if paired with X and Y taillight, this light would be perfect for commuters looking for extra light, or for roadies looking for an evening work-out.

- Roger

P.S.
    Also, in the Minewt review thank you for saying that this was as bright as their old HID lights. I called Nightrider and they said their HID lights were in the 350 range, but I thought that their actual output was much more according to the pictures I was seeing posted in the reviews. Thanks for this comparison, he helped put everything in perspective.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Huston View Post
    Hello Francois,

I am new to this forum, and it is the opinions that I am the most interested in once the raw data is presented. I liked your review of the Niterider Minewt 600, but I would personally like to hear more personal commentary.
    Very good feedback. When I'm done with the individual reviews, I will do several videos comparing a bunch of lights at a time:

- best commuter, best self-contained, best overall
    - best mounting, charging
    - heat dissipation, switch ergonomic
    - bang for the buck.

Hopefully, I can come up with good summaries and comparisons in end.

fc

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Francois,

Thank you for taking my comments in consideration. However, during the review process, may I make another suggestion. That you hold similar lights up next to each other for comparison. For example, you did the Piko XL, it would be nice for you to hold that in one hand and the niterider 600 for a quick reference. Or maybe actually show one attached to a handle bar. I see it in your hand, without another reference or another light, it is hard to tell which is bigger or smaller to the next. They all just are - if you know what I mean.

Thanks,

Roger

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Francois, do you know where the Surfas True 1500 video went? Cant find it in the shootout?

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    Francois, do you know where the Surfas True 1500 video went? Cant find it in the shootout?
    It is here:
    MtbrVideos's Channel - YouTube

I'll work on the review page for that today.

fc

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanx man!!!

Village Dirtbag
    Francois: when you get to the MJ-872, would you see if you notice any unusual cooling problems? Many are having it go into overheat mode even when riding or in a windy area at 75% power. It's nice that it has this feature, but it doesn't have much cooling surface for such a powerful light and it looks like it dips into this mode often.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by @dam View Post
    Francois: when you get to the MJ-872, would you see if you notice any unusual cooling problems? Many are having it go into overheat mode even when riding or in a windy area at 75% power. It's nice that it has this feature, but it doesn't have much cooling surface for such a powerful light and it looks like it dips into this mode often.
    Sure. I just got those and the other magicshines and I have good cooling test setup now with a temp gun.

The only hard part is knowing if any of the lights stepped down in light output to cool themselves down.

fc
    Last edited by francois; 10-17-2011 at 04:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Basically mine is made from cut - thin cardboard which I then covered with electrical tape to repeal moisture.
    Thanks for posting those photos Cat-man-do. A simple but elegant solution.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Francois, I'm enjoying reading your reviews on the various new lights in the shoutout. I can't wait to see your commuter lights comparisons. I'm especially interested in the reverse offset lens type of lights, such as the Ixon IQ, Phillips Safe Ride, and the Cateye Econom Force.

swag ho Administrator
    The Beam patterns are up and available on this page:

2012 Bike Lights Shootout | Mountain Bike Review

fc

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Is Cygo Lite still sending some lights? Hopefully they can include the Turbo 740 and the Expilion 400 as those are two of the lights I"m considering .

mtbr member
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    May 2005

fc
    Serfas True 1500 on the beam shots page shows up in flash lights and commuter lights pages and its caption says 500 lumens and $150 price

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Niterider Minewt 600 | Mountain Bike Review

Html is reading as the Trinewt instead of the minewt.

I just want to be sure that it somehow isnt an old picture or some picture from some other light.

and

Also the Light and Mption Urban 500 is missing from the trail light pictures.

Totally, a bummer as thats my contender for my bike so far.
    Last edited by blueyin; 10-18-2011 at 10:15 AM.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by djembe975 View Post
    Is Cygo Lite still sending some lights? Hopefully they can include the Turbo 740 and the Expilion 400 as those are two of the lights I"m considering .
    I should have the Expilion 350 and the TridenX 750 by today.

fc

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by blueyin View Post
    Niterider Minewt 600 | Mountain Bike Review

Html is reading as the Trinewt instead of the minewt.

I just want to be sure that it somehow isnt an old picture or some picture from some other light.

and

Also the Light and Mption Urban 500 is missing from the trail light pictures.

Totally, a bummer as thats my contender for my bike so far.
    Fixed. And yes, that's a Minewt.

The Urban 500 will come. It should be just like the Niterider 600.

It is a good trail light, but it does have a bright side light that can't be turned off. This could be bothersome when installed on the handlebars.

fc

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    Fixed. Thank you!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

fc
    Funny when you see tha MJ-872 next to the NR Mako 1. I belive its a mistake to put the 872 in a conmuter category.

In the trail photo its place in the high end.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Basically mine is made from cut - thin cardboard which I then covered with electrical tape to repeal moisture.. it is held on using electrical tape as well. The light is a K-Lite 3-XPG R5 which is sold on-line from Ozzie-land. The hood works very well and makes the mid-mode much more usable. Some of the light which normally would go up into the trees is reflected down to the ground. Next year I will try to make the upper black rim around optic reflective as well. The way I figure it every little bit helps.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm going to experiment a little with this. If I find out anything interesting I'll start a new thread since I'm off topic here.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mochodurazo View Post
    Funny when you see tha MJ-872 next to the NR Mako 1. I belive its a mistake to put the 872 in a conmuter category.

In the trail photo its place in the high end.
    Fixed!!!!

fc

Old Fart at Play
    Francois, It would be nice if you could include some technical data from the manufacturers such as what LEDs are being used, what is the drive current at each setting, what is the watt/hr rating of the battery pack(s),is there thermal regulation etc. Also some discussion of the mounts and ease of aiming the light. Does it swivel precisely in the vertical plane? I know you get into this stuff to some degree in the videos but a little more would be welcome. Kudos for all your efforts in enlightening us. It's awesome.

(Plus...still haven't corrected the Dinotte names in the thumbnails and beam shots, by the way.)
    "... displays the social skills of a barrel cactus." - TNC

Old Fart at Play
    Question, does a hot or very warm casing indicate poor or good thermal management? Francois has posited that a cool casing is an indication that heat from the LED's is being dissipated well. I seem to recall a contention voiced in these forums that a warm casing is indication of good thermal transfer. Which is it? Or is the answer not so black and white. Discuss.
    "... displays the social skills of a barrel cactus." - TNC

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast