Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

2012 BAJA DESIGNS double stryker

Got a call from Shanon that the new prototype was ready to run and I had a night dh race coming up (predator night dh race) so this was the perfect opportunity of high speed, pitch black on alot of the course and adrenaline to see if it could hang and not get lost in the corners shadows etc.
    All went well ran 3 practice runs got the lights dialed and leveled to what angle worked best.
    Figured I'd ride conservatively get a good clean fast run and try to put it all together, came in faster than I thought on the corners had 2 big laid out sideways bar dragging drifts in the corners lofted the rock drop and pinned the run out from the top to the fire road with very little pedalling. ( I don't pedal I try to keep speed to avoid any more exercise than needed lol)

The lights stomp on the originals with no hot spots the dual stryker is insane and as soon as I have some shots from the race I will post them.

Got first place in cat 1 (expert) by 3+ seconds with very little peddaling, the lights allowed me to see the course and not slow down. Others had lights and there were black areas, specifically a massive g-out that had rocks in the bottom. Came in and out so hot I aired the backside into berm and rock drop. Not 1 time did I come close to outrunning the light or feeling like I couldn't focus with depth and peripheral vision.

The mount is the mount to end all others NO MOVEMENT, LIGHT, EASY TO INSTALL and asthetically pleasing. I did have to put a wingnut on it as this was pre production but it worked amazing. It drew ALOT of attention on the hill and in the pits especially during practice.

Weight of the light is minimal I'll weight it later but I'd say lighter than the stryker and way Brighter the new leds have have good color and solid output.

Weight w/out mount 139g (I'll post weightnshotnin a few)

Last edited by bullcrew; 08-22-2011 at 10:20 PM.
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    On my best day twenty years ago with a bear and cougar on my tail i couldn't do what you just did bullcrew so congratulations are in order.

The duel Stryker looks amazing and cant wait for production models to be available. do you have battery specs yet,the amount of cells , and est run times? The new mount looks as bullit proof as the lights Bajadesigns builds.It's good to hear such a good first review from someone who put it threw it's paces, thanx for taking the time to do this review, oh,,,,,,, and the light looks sweet on your ride!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    On my best day twenty years ago with a bear and cougar on my tail i couldn't do what you just did bullcrew so congratulations are in order.

The duel Stryker looks amazing and cant wait for production models to be available. do you have battery specs yet,the amount of cells , and est run times? The new mount looks as bullit proof as the lights Bajadesigns builds.It's good to hear such a good first review from someone who put it threw it's paces, thanx for taking the time to do this review, oh,,,,,,, and the light looks sweet on your ride!!
    Lol I got lost in the woods in northern Idaho and between bears and Canadian wolves I was trying to fly down the mountain. So in all fairness its alot easier to flow without self preservation and thoughts of being eaten filling your head.

I'll get all the specs on them and post it with weights etc. Should be close to actuall production so don't anchor it in concrete as absolute I'm sure it will vary slightly on weight.
    My Sponsor House

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Terrific job on the win Bullcrew! Glad to see the IH is still serving you well.

Thanks for sharing the pics and feedback. Looking forward to the update.

mtbr member
    The first strykr is still a bad ass light. This thing is just ridiculous. I can't wait to see one in person. Alan keeps engineering light awesomeness. Wonder if they will have a IR version to do some stealth runs with.
    Contact us with your video production needs.
    mike@arkfilms.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bajamike View Post
    The first strykr is still a bad ass light. This thing is just ridiculous. I can't wait to see one in person. Alan keeps engineering light awesomeness. Wonder if they will have a IR version to do some stealth runs with.
    Agread that the originals are bad@$$ this thing is just plain monstrous.
    I still have my original and love it works great diving for lobster any brighter would wash out in the water not too mention it kills it on the trails ive done some fast night rides and drops with it with NO issues.
    My Sponsor House

mtbr member
    Good job Bullcrew, thank you for representing us so well. As far as specifics go the Double Stryk pumps out more than 1800 lumens (we are just humble ) but it's not quite 2k - we don't round up at Ye Olde Baja Designs. All of our systems next year will be utilizing the same battery and charger as the 2011 lights, the battery is small, lightweight, watertight, and as tough as the rest of the system. We want everything to remain compatible.

That sweet new mount will be coming stock with the $449 Double Stryk. It will be optional for the 2012 Baja Designs Strykr II and Strykr SL.

I laid out all of the specifics on the new lights on a thread on the DIY light forum. I'd expound but right now I am writing while standing in the chow line up at Camp Roberts - I am doing my National Guard annual training.

Again, congrats Bullcrew, you crazy fast guy you! So how did the Strykr SL mounted on your helmet work?

Shannon

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Sorry Shannon i must be blind, i checked the DIY and couldn't find your thread. Do you have a date of the post, or better yet the title?Cheers!!!

mtbr member
    Weight added to first post. 139g without mount.
    I'll throw some comparison shots to the stryker and pro tonight before the light goes back and I cry out of control till they become available.
    My Sponsor House

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    LOL, i would as well bullcrew. BajaDesigns i believe have a home run here, Shannon says the 1800 lumen claim is conservative, and if that's otf lumens, it is well worth the price despite one's crticism. That puts it up there with my Betty at half the price.

mtbr member
    Construction is amazing waterproof shock proof all the good stuff but brighter than ever.
    I'll post up action pics in a bit as well.
    My Sponsor House

mtbr member
    Hey Indebt,

I will try to find that thread for you, I am not sure where it even began, I will check when I get a chance. I kind of just have to jump on here real quick when I get a chance between training. I'll find it ASAP and let you know where it's at brother.

Shannon

mtbr member
    Couple of better pics up.
    My Sponsor House

mtbr member
    Hey Indebt,

That thread is in this forum under something like "Baja Designs lights for 2012" it is one of the first threads currently.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanx Shannon, i'll have another look. Cheers!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bullcrew View Post
    Construction is amazing waterproof shock proof all the good stuff but brighter than ever.
    I'll post up action pics in a bit as well.
    Compared to the dual original Strykers you had on your Canfield, (if I recall correctly, you were using 1 wide and 1 spot reflector) how different would you rate the new Dbl Stryk, being that they are also using a similar reflector setup?

My other bike is a GasGas
    Sep 2011
    A friend brought his single Stryker for some night enduro riding this past weekend as a helmet mounted unit to compliment his stator-driven head light.

The BajaDesigns unit puts many others to shame be it mountain bike or dirt bike.

mtbr member
    The current lights are awesome, but wait until you lads see the 2012 lights...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDesignsShannon View Post
    The current lights are awesome, but wait until you lads see the 2012 lights...
    Shannon, do you know the battery specs? I didn't see anything on the site.

mtbr member
    Hey Cromagftw, the battery that will be used on the Baja Designs Double Strykr is the same that our current systems are using. All of the connectors are the same and everything is compatible.

As far as burntime goes; at full blast you'll get 1:30, half way you'll get 3:00, and on low it'll get 6:00. We may build an accessory battery that would be slightly larger for more burn time, but that really will be determined by demand. The system also has a flasher mode for commuting or signaling rescue aircraft, that setting lasts for 30hrs.

Generally speaking most people won't (or will they??...) run around with almost 2k lumens scorching the ground and causing PTSD in nocturnal animals. I find myself in Low while climbing (500 lumens-ish) and Medium (900+ lumens) most of the time. I bump it on High for descents and showing off. The cool thing is that with the dual optic setup the light is better at putting those lumens on the trail as you have a spot and a wide angle lens working for you no matter what brightness setting you happen to be in.

Hopefully that answers your question, let me know what else you are curious about.

Shannon

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hopefully that answers your question, let me know what else you are curious about.

Shannon

Shannon, thanks for that, yep it sounds good for sure.

But I was actually referring to voltage and amps specs on the adventure battery ... can you recall what they are mate?

Since on the topic of run times, can you please share what the run times are like for the StrykrII and StrykrSL? Would it be fair to assume 2x as long compared with identical modes of the Dbl Stryk? Are modes equated to the following?:

High = 100%
    Mid = 50%
    Low = 25%
    Last edited by Chromagftw; 09-07-2011 at 06:55 AM.

My other bike is a GasGas
    Sep 2011
    I bump it on High for descents and showing off.
    For me, 400 Lumens would be showing off. But I like to gravitate toward efficiency and minimalism. I'd be riding a hardtail single speed if I thought I could get away with it (and I can't).

But that's for the mountain bike I'd be all over it... especially for a helmet mounted light. For the main light I'd go with any number of high-output Baja Designs or Trail Tech systems.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
    For me, 400 Lumens would be showing off. But I like to gravitate toward efficiency and minimalism. I'd be riding a hardtail single speed if I thought I could get away with it (and I can't).

But that's for the mountain bike I'd be all over it... especially for a helmet mounted light. For the main light I'd go with any number of high-output Baja Designs or Trail Tech systems.
    Different strokes. I do ride a rigid singlespeed but soon it'll be with well over 2000 lumen on high. I find that I need far better lighting for riding in the dark with rigid than I did with full suspension. Riding FS in the dark I found that small things I could just roll over without issue, but the rigid is far less forgiving, and I need to see everything, far more so than with FS.

YMMV.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
    For me, 400 Lumens would be showing off. But I like to gravitate toward efficiency and minimalism.
    that isn't really efficiency though, it's just not seeing where you're going

I could (and have) ride with 400lm, but I'd be very slow, I'd crash constantly and I'd have a bit of a crap time, all for saving ~400g. Or I could ride with 3000+, not be slow, crash only occasionally and have a great time, all the time not noticing the ~400g of extra weight I'm carrying.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Its been progression for me all the way. I would have saved bundles if I skipped the in between purchases and went with the best and most powerful at the time.

Planet Bike super Flashes ---> Fenix LD20s ---> Magicshines, Geminis, BikeRays --->Dinottes ---> BajaDesigns (?) ---> Lupines (?)

Do it right the 1st time within your given budget.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast