mtbr member

1x1000ish lumens or 2x500ish lumens?

Help, I'm suffering from paralysis by analysis! I'm planning a purchase of new lights, but the selection feels bewildering.

Would I do better to get two fairly bright lights, one for the bar and one for the head (e.g. L&M Urban 500) OR just a single super bright unit (e.g. a Seca or Taz)?

I've previously only used only one light at a time, (most recently a Niterider HID), my preference with this was handlebar mounting as I found that head mounting would wash out the shadows.
    "...DirtBaggies may also be the best baggy mountain bike shorts on the market." Velonews - Click to check out other reviews.

mtbr member
    Searched and had not found a discussioin of this when I searched last week, and now there it is right below my thread:

$150 to $200 to spend, 1 light or 2? Handlebar or Helmet
    Last edited by Tim-ti; 12-20-2012 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Found similar discussion thread
    "...DirtBaggies may also be the best baggy mountain bike shorts on the market." Velonews - Click to check out other reviews.

BBW
    mtbr member
    you always want 2 lights in case 1 fails. The trick with the helmet light is to aim it towards the horizon and not directly down to minimize the washout effect. Also I prefer a more powerful bar light and to use the helmet for throw and to see around the corners.
    If you can get a great handlebar light and supplement with a flashlight on the helmet
    Hope it helps
    Buy good stuff and buy once
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW View Post
    you always want 2 lights in case 1 fails. The trick with the helmet light is to aim it towards the horizon and not directly down to minimize the washout effect. Also I prefer a more powerful bar light and to use the helmet for throw and to see around the corners.
    If you can get a great handlebar light and supplement with a flashlight on the helmet
    Hope it helps
    Buy good stuff and buy once
    Great advise! All of it. Saved me time typing.

Can't beat having both.
    Bar lights create the shadows needed for perception of terrain

Helmet light needed for looking around/ahead corners and just generally useful at night, Mechanicals or sometimes just to see what's stuck in seat stay making that noise while you ride.
    Get both. You will be happier
    .....the end

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yeah, what they said.

Lights are like women, two are always better than one!!!

"By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Until recently, I was riding with a NR Cordless 150 on the handles and a NR Lumina 650 on the helmet. That set up worked decent. Obviously, if you have 500 lumens on the handle bars and 500 up top, you'll be doing better than I was.

I switched to a Gemini Olympia with just under 1500 lumens on the handlebars and that has been awesome. Still love having that NR 650 on the helmet. Makes such a big difference, especially with seeing around corners.