mtbr member
    Nov 2009

1st night ride...Awesome

My sons and I went for our first ever night ride on our favorite trail and it was so fun. Alot of the trail is riding under a canopy of trees and it was almost pitch black! I have an old magicshine 1400 lumens and I bought my boys cheap chinese lights and they all did well and lit up the trail enough where we were not really going that much slower then riding daylight. I cant wait to ride again!

Up the hill!
    It is something else, isn't it? One of my favourite things to do is go to a trail network near dusk and start out, and come back down when it's night. It's also nice less as there are never any people or hikers on the trail while heading down.

Nature becomes a lot more apparent as well; I remember the first time I went out being tripped out by seeing darkness all around and out of nowhere, a field of eyes watching my every move. Suffice to say that there are a lot of deer around here! I have yet to see any bears or cougars while out...really not feeling bad about that either!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I remember my 1st night ride back in 2009, a buddy of mine threw a single NR 110 lumen on each of our bikes handle bars and away we went. We stuck to pretty basic trails as output was limiting to say the least,,,, but I was hooked right away!! Sounds like you just got bit by the same bug jbl_91762!!! Happy night riding, Cheers!!

mtbr member
    My 1st was amazing and funny. Several photos.

1st night ride...Awesome-general-151.jpg1st night ride...Awesome-p1020061.jpg1st night ride...Awesome-p6190371.jpg
    Looking for power lights?, see here

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

My first night riding

My first night riding is very interesting and suffering in 2011. We rided more than 50KM from 14:00 to 24:00. I used a small torch about 100lm. I had never rided so far by myself before. My leg could not move when I arrived my house.
    1st night ride...Awesome-qq-20140724153954.jpg1st night ride...Awesome-qq-20140724154008.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bicyclerider View Post
    My first night riding is very interesting and suffering in 2011. We rided more than 50KM from 14:00 to 24:00. I used a small torch about 100lm. I had never rided so far by myself before. My leg could not move when I arrived my house.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QQ??20140724153954.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	910551Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QQ??20140724154008.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	910552
    Whoaaah...thats one heck of a long ride. Sounds a lot like the first race I did. What an eye opener.

mtbr member
    One of the most fun riding experiences I've had was last year a group of 8 did what we called the summer solstice ride. Started at midnight on the top of a hill with a beer then rode through to dawn for bacon and egg rolls and a celebratory beer on the beach.

Needed a few batteries though

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy View Post
    One of the most fun riding experiences I've had was last year a group of 8 did what we called the summer solstice ride. Started at midnight on the top of a hill with a beer then rode through to dawn for bacon and egg rolls and a celebratory beer on the beach.

Needed a few batteries though
    Sweeet!!! night ride pharmaboy,,,, Good memories, It's been a couple of decades since I thought of beer n eggs for breakfast. Back when I was doing graveyard shifts they sure went down good afterwards, not as good though as after an all night ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I wish summer was over already.. well the high humidity here in SoCal. Cant do jack right now cause its so hot. I know thats what you guys in the east deal with all summer long but its not too common out west. But yeah cant wait to ride again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbl_91762 View Post
    I wish summer was over already.. well the high humidity here in SoCal. Cant do jack right now cause its so hot. I know thats what you guys in the east deal with all summer long but its not too common out west. But yeah cant wait to ride again.
    Odd isn't it. This year we ( east coasters ) got the mild weather. For 4th of July the people were wearing jackets to view the fireworks at night, it was that cool. I think it's been the coolest summer I've ever seen although at the moment it's gotten humid again.

I went swimming about a week into July only to find the water was actually almost too cold. I still swam but it was borderline cold and certainly not what I was expecting.