Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFreeThenDie View Post
    From what I've read, the only 3000mAh cells are Panasonics (and Sanyos?). Anything else is "fake". I think most of them don't perform well at all. HKJ seems to have a good review site. I've been happy with my Callies Kustoms.

I buy whatever the reviews claim are good. I worry about battery safety.
    Thats not true at all...One of the best rated 18650 3100mah is the AW..

You can get them for 18.00 a pop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zeeke View Post
    Thats not true at all...One of the best rated 18650 3100mah is the AW..

You can get them for 18.00 a pop.
    AW, Kallies Customs and all other premium protected 18650 cell makers DO NOT MAKE THE CELLS, they only purchase cells from the likes of Panasonic, Sanyo, Samsung and Sony and add their own in PCB and wrapper. The cell inside the AW 3100 is almost guaranteed to be the Panasonic NCR18650A cell we've been going on about

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlisterG View Post
    Thanks, looks like the HiMAX is close to the AW 2600. In another test I saw the Tenergy 2600 was almost exactly like the AW 2600. The HIMAX looks to be over priced. I still would like to see a comparison with the UltraFire 4000. Until then I think I'll just get the Panasonics which looks to be better over-all. Now if the UF 4000 beats out an AW 2600, that could just very well make them the better value if the price is right. I really don't care what's written on the cell, I just want something affordable and with decent run time. I'm still getting a pair of Panasonic's though just because I want to see what the best cells are like.

mtbr member
    Cat - if you want those UF4000 cells tested, post me a couple with a couple of bucks in the envelope for return postage and I'll do a full charge/ discharge test. I personally wouldn't expect them to be any better or worse than the various 2500/3000/3500 protected *fire cells, but I'm always happy to be surprised.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rschultz101 View Post
    The "Torchy boy" site has some nice comparisons. The problem is Torchy also sells some of this stuff and actual has his own branded battery ( which looks to do very well in comparison to others ). I'm not saying he's fudging the stats but you have to consider the possibility.

Torchy does do a comparison with the UltraFire 4000. He claims it is one of the worse cells in his test. He even thinks ( after doing a tear down ) that the cell looks like it is "an old lap top battery ", If you believe what he's showing you it would certainly look like he's right. According to his charts the UF4000 only gives about 43% of it's claimed stated capacity. That puts it somewhere around 1720mAh! Even the UltraFire 2600's did better than that. That's what doesn't make sense.

The one reviewer that was listed on Amazon said that he had used other Ultrafire cells and that these ( the 4000's ) were better than the ones he had previously used. Basically it comes down to; Who are you going to believe? Are people trying to give these cells a bad rep? Admittedly there would be good reason if these are taking money out of someone else's pocket. A fact worth consideration.

I suppose I'll just have to get some and see myself. The curiosity is killing me.
    Matt, if I get some of these and I think they are good I'll send one your way and let you look at it. if I get them and think that they suck...well, no reason to do any further testing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Google is your friend:

site:budgetlightforums.net "ultrafire 4000" battery
    site:candlepowerforums.com "ultrafire 4000" battery

There are several people on BLF who review batteries. Some have online stores, others do not.

Personally, IMHO, from what I've read, I would find it hard to believe that some fleabag Chinese *fire battery manufacturer is going to have batteries that are 30% higher power than batteries that the leaders in battery technology can produce.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFreeThenDie View Post
    Google is your friend:

site:budgetlightforums.net "ultrafire 4000" battery
    site:candlepowerforums.com "ultrafire 4000" battery

There are several people on BLF who review batteries. Some have online stores, others do not.

Personally, IMHO, from what I've read, I would find it hard to believe that some fleabag Chinese *fire battery manufacturer is going to have batteries that are 30% higher power than batteries that the leaders in battery technology can produce.
    Thanks LFTD.

I pulled this CPF thread up and started to read. Strangely last week when I did a search for these cells on CPF I came up with nothing.
    Anyway, seems like no one likes these on CPF. Not to mention that if you go to the Ultrafire website they don't even list a 4000mAh 18650 cell. The BRC 3000mAh cell is their largest and even it doesn't rate as well as it should. I guess there is no actual Ultrafire 4000mAh cell. So much for that. I'll not be throwing my money down unless I thought they did better than 2600mAh cells.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 02-05-2012 at 08:43 PM. Reason: spelling correction

night riding enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Thanks LFTD.

I pulled this CPF thread up and started to read. Strangely last week when I did a search for these cells on CPF I came up with nothing.
    Anyway, seems like no one likes these on CPF. Not to mention that if you go to the Ultrafire website they don't even list a 4000mAh 18650 cell. The BRC 3000mAh cell is their largest and even it doesn't rate as well as it should. I guess there is no actual Ultrafire 4000mAh cell. So much for that. I'll not be throwing my money down unless I though they did better than 2600mAh cells.
    You never know with China, they might even be fake ultrafire batteries
    Click the thumbs up button if you have a thumb...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GraXXoR View Post
    You never know with China, they might even be fake ultrafire batteries
    As someone else said, this could just as well been done with wrappers using another brand name. Sad to see this kind of thing going on. This is almost as bad as the problem with the original MagicShine batteries. This is why you must be careful when buying batteries. Unless you own a device for testing batteries there can always be questions.

Thankfully there are the people on CPF that usually post up when they see something wrong and many of them do the testing for us.

mtbr member
    no need to be sad Cat, it's just business. All the 18650 cells in the world are made for putting into laptop batteries - none whatsoever are manufactured for the purpose of powering torches. As with any product, there are different grades, ranging from premium top of the line cells like the Panasonics, to more work a day cells like the mid range Sanyos/ Samsungs etc. There are also the rejects, which fail QC for one reason or another, which in turn fall into a range of grades. The half way decent ones (>2000mAh, reasonable IR) get repackaged as *fire cells and sold for $4 a cell or so via DX. The complete rejects (<1500mAh, terrible IR), get sold in bulk to middlemen, that wrap them up and sell them on to Chinese eBay sellers who sell them for $1-2 a cell.

So, as with anything, you get what you pay for, there's no free lunch etc etc. If you want high capacity low IR cells, pony up the cash. If you aren't that fussy, go for the mid range. If you're strapped for cash and willing to compromise on runtime, the *fire cells from DX and KD are largely okay.

The only rule I stick to is NEVER BUY CHEAP 18650 CELLS FROM EBAY. They are junk, always.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    no need to be sad Cat, it's just business. All the 18650 cells in the world are made for putting into laptop batteries - none whatsoever are manufactured for the purpose of powering torches. As with any product, there are different grades, ranging from premium top of the line cells like the Panasonics, to more work a day cells like the mid range Sanyos/ Samsungs etc. There are also the rejects, which fail QC for one reason or another, which in turn fall into a range of grades. The half way decent ones (>2000mAh, reasonable IR) get repackaged as *fire cells and sold for $4 a cell or so via DX. The complete rejects (<1500mAh, terrible IR), get sold in bulk to middlemen, that wrap them up and sell them on to Chinese eBay sellers who sell them for $1-2 a cell.

So, as with anything, you get what you pay for, there's no free lunch etc etc. If you want high capacity low IR cells, pony up the cash. If you aren't that fussy, go for the mid range. If you're strapped for cash and willing to compromise on runtime, the *fire cells from DX and KD are largely okay.

The only rule I stick to is NEVER BUY CHEAP 18650 CELLS FROM EBAY. They are junk, always.
    cheap batteries Trustfire 3000
    expensive batteries Redilast 3100
    Looking for power lights?, see here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2