Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    The funny thing about the whole "max lumens" thing is that it not necessarily a measure of how well a light system will actually work out on the trail, throwing out a ton of super bright white retina-burning light doesn't necessarily equal a great light on the trail. (it may make a great parking lot test light though)

The color temperature of the LED and the functionality of the reflector(s) also comes into play. For instance, we at Baja Designs believe that generally speaking a warmer temperature LED works best in most trail conditions as the warmer light tends to reflect less off the trail, surrounding flora, and floating dust particles, and tends to be more like the natural sunlight which your brain is wired to function best with.

I think there will come a point at which lights will be judged more for the effectiveness of their light output and less for their raw (claimed) lumens rating. This of course doesn't even bring into play all of the other factors that should come into play when plunking down hard earned cash on something that you are literally entrusting your life with, but like Mr. Cat-Man said, some people are Gamblers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    If you are referring to the BikerayUSA web site, yes I know but they weren't the first to inflate their lumen claims.
    No nitelights and their 1200lm XML powered "destroyer"
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mochodurazo View Post
    A bunch of my teamates are interested in buy this light :

1800 Lumen CREE XML T6 LED bike Bicycle Light HeadLight Lamp Flashlight Headlamp | eBay

Really? 1800 lumens on a single XML and a 6.4 mA. Can somebody give me and advice for them? or go for it?

You can get this a little cheaper at DX ($45), but I have to give you a heads up that the beam is a very tight hot spot and to me isn't very good for trail riding. If you can get your hands on an OP (orange peel textured) reflector that fits, it spreads the beam out and makes it much more useful (I used one from a Magicshine).
    600-700 lumens for $45 and a little modding/adapting to spread the beam, you can't beat it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post
    No nitelights and their 1200lm XML powered "destroyer"
    Well that was a while ago and I only vaguely remember it now. After just checking their website I almost laughed myself to death. These people are trying to sell you an LED lamp claiming to output 1200lm but don't tell you a damn thing about the LED. Not only that but the picture of the light head is angled so you can't see the emitter...and Oh yeah, all this for $279!

Sorry znomit, I had completely forgotten about that one.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDesignsShannon View Post
    The funny thing about the whole "max lumens" thing is that it not necessarily a measure of how well a light system will actually work out on the trail, throwing out a ton of super bright white retina-burning light doesn't necessarily equal a great light on the trail. (it may make a great parking lot test light though)

The color temperature of the LED and the functionality of the reflector(s) also comes into play. For instance, we at Baja Designs believe that generally speaking a warmer temperature LED works best in most trail conditions as the warmer light tends to reflect less off the trail, surrounding flora, and floating dust particles, and tends to be more like the natural sunlight which your brain is wired to function best with.

I think there will come a point at which lights will be judged more for the effectiveness of their light output and less for their raw (claimed) lumens rating. This of course doesn't even bring into play all of the other factors that should come into play when plunking down hard earned cash on something that you are literally entrusting your life with, but like Mr. Cat-Man said, some people are Gamblers.
    You nailed it! I've been trying to figure out how to express my thoughts on this whole quality vs quantity issue and there it is. Well said Shannon. Cheers to the companies putting quality into every component and to the guys supporting them.

you guys realize if we all buy cheap crap because it's "good enough" we'll eventually drive some good companies out of business and be left with nothing but crap to choose from. Just my opinion.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    ....you guys realize if we all buy cheap crap because it's "good enough" we'll eventually drive some good companies out of business and be left with nothing but crap to choose from. Just my opinion.
    That would be one way to look at it. Free enterprise is based on competition though. That means someone is going to succeed and someone is going to lose or just break even. Sad but true. Success will be based on things like; quality, innovation, vision and an ability to adapt. Create the right product with the right features, with a decent amount of quality, at the right price and market it properly at a time when the consumer is looking for said product....you have a winner.

There are more than a couple companies that fit the bill that have done just that. As a consumer it is always to your advantage to have choice. Choice helps keep prices down and keeps the big boy lights within reason. I can't see anyone who wouldn't want prices to be within reason, especially in the economy we have at the time.

The people who buy the $50 lights at least have a light they can see with as long as the light works properly. It may only last a year or two but even if that's the case they still get their monies worth. When the consumer gets what he calls, "The best bang for the buck", he will buy "That" product. The company selling that product will be successful. Just my opinion.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    For 40, I accepted the gamble as I was looking for headlight for road and light off-road use.
    I also have an 4 yr old trailtech HID 11W for trail use.
    Burning time and power is diminishing.
    This light was rated to produce 500 lm of power, I guess it's pumping 300lmn max now.

The '1800 China lumens' Cree has a very tiny hotspot, so the beam is pretty useless for fast trailriding.
    The contrast between the center of the beam and it's periferal light is to big.

In short: I prefer the beam of my old Trailtech, but as I plan to use the new Cree light mostly for safer road training, it's worth the money.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2