mtbr member

'09 L&M Seca LED 700 Race - $393.51 - Deal???

Haven't bought a set of lights in years. Am fairly happy with my old Jetlites setup but my wife wants to start riding with me. Found the Seca 700 Race on Beyondbikes for $462 and then another bit off with the L8TR coupon code. Should I pull the trigger for under $400 on this set?

Good deal?

jim
    mtbr member
    That price is not too much above cost, so yes, I'd say it's a pretty good deal.

However, I'm done with pre-built lighting systems. Building your own is lots of fun and very addicting!!! I'm still a complete n00b but the people on this forum have been very helpful.

Maybe try DIY? Good luck.

mtbr member
    i've been reading the DIY threads and i gotta admit...i have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. lol.

mtbr member
    I bought the ultra for 450 and have been very happy with it. The best prices I found was $400 for the race and $450 for the ultra.

The lights are great. Its my second L&M product and I have been very happy with both. You can get some deals on HID lights these days, but I have to think that technology is on its way out and support is likely to be limited.

Tree Hugger
    Beware of BeyondBikes. they love the bait and switch. Don't be surprised of they are suddenly "out of stock" and a sales rep tries to convince you to buy something else.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    Beware of BeyondBikes. they love the bait and switch. Don't be surprised of they are suddenly "out of stock" and a sales rep tries to convince you to buy something else.
    Try Bikebling.com with the vegas coupon code. They shipped mine the same day.

Never had that problem with Beyond Bikes,but haven't ever ordered anything bigger than a tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch

thanks!

"Mr. Britannica"
    cheaper on ebay... I've seen 370-375 incl shipping

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    You could make one for cheaper
    We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace -Michael Franti

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Why??

For a few dollars more, you can get a Dinotte 800l for the bars and a 400l helmet light. It was on sale for 449 but may be a bit more now.

Seems better to buy both as you will have both a bar and helmet light. And the batteries are all interchangeable.

If you could build your own, that would be cheapest though. However, it was nice to get it in the mail, plop it on the bike and go.

MB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    cheaper on ebay... I've seen 370-375 incl shipping

it's worth spending $25 more to buy from a store and have a warranty/return policy.

btw, i'm thinking about building another one for myself but will have to do a bit of research here before i can even begin to figure out what i'll need.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323
    For a few dollars more, you can get a Dinotte 800l for the bars and a 400l helmet light. It was on sale for 449 but may be a bit more now.

Seems better to buy both as you will have both a bar and helmet light. And the batteries are all interchangeable.

If you could build your own, that would be cheapest though. However, it was nice to get it in the mail, plop it on the bike and go.

MB

499 now but thanks for the heads-up!

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by dewthedru
    it's worth spending $25 more to buy from a store and have a warranty/return policy.

btw, i'm thinking about building another one for myself but will have to do a bit of research here before i can even begin to figure out what i'll need.

only if the place you are buying from (on ebay) isn't a dealer and doesn't give a receipt for warranty/return purposes

mtbr member
    you're right but i didn't want to risk it. but i noticed that beyondbikes has a 15% restocking fee so the difference is a lot more than the $25 i figured.

after reading and bookmarking a bunch of the DIY threads i'm all excited about the prospect of building one myself. i'll just be trying to copy the designs found here though. prolly something like salty's knuckle duster. that looks pretty sweet.

mtbr member
    I think there is a claus on L&M's website that says no warranty if purchased on ebay.

"Warranties apply only to product purchased from authorized resellers. Systems purchased from non-authorized resellers, including eBay, will not be covered under warranty. All Light & Motion products purchased in the USA must be serviced in the USA. If you have purchased a Light & Motion product outside of the USA please contact the Light & Motion distributor in your country."

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I almost pulled the trigger on a Seca 700 Race, but after quite a bit of research I ultimately decided on Ay-Up's MTB Kit. Claimed lumen output by all the mfg is BS is my mind. The AYUps have a "claimed output" of 640 total but compared to by buddies Dinotte 800/400 combo (1200 claimed lumens) mine seems MUCH brighter. As for the Seca, it seems like it has a nice beam pattern but you'll still want a helmet mount. You can't beat the Ay-up for simplicity, price, weight, size, service, run time, looks and versatility.

Check out the Ay-up Kits. They're on sale right now for a ridiculous price tag of $300.

www.ayupusa.com

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    The only reason they seem brighter is because the beams are a lot more focused. The Dinotte's give off much more light than the AyUps, with a very even flood for the 800L and a much better beam IMHO for a helmet on the 400L.

Quote Originally Posted by thesergeant
    ...The AYUps have a "claimed output" of 640 total but compared to by buddies Dinotte 800/400 combo (1200 claimed lumens) mine seems MUCH brighter....

mtbr member
    took my wife out with the new light. while i'm normally very happy with my jet lite (i13 phantom maybe?), i felt like i couldn't see anything with it when my wife was flashing the Seca 700 around.

decent mounting system. very easy to change from the helmet to the handlebar but not as nice as my jet lite setup for those wanting to always use it on the helmet.

she's very happy with it but was SHOCKED when she found out how much i spend on it. heh.