Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

$60 xml bike light- too good to be true?

Here is its sixty dollars shipped. One year warranty and us dealer. Any thoughts?

1000 Lumen CREE XML T6 LED Bicycle bike HeadLight Lamp Flashlight Light Headlamp | eBay

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I actually just purchased that same light off of amazon ($65 from seller ATC). I was about to buy the magicshine 808e when I found this for $30 less than I could get the 808e from a US seller; same specs and looks identical so figured it was worth a shot.

It should be delivered today and I'm hoping to try it out this week. I can post some thoughts once I've tried it. It's my first light so nothing to compare it to other than what my friends ride with (I don't recall what those are off hand).

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yes I would appreciate some insight as im thinking about getting one soon. Pics and or a review would be awesome.

mtbr member
    They seem the same as the ones that dealextreme sells for $45. Here's a long thread:
    New bike lights on DX

Tim

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I just decided to pull the trigger on it. I had $50 from some extra work I did for a buddy, figured it's worth a try. I'll report on it when I get it. Even if it is the same unit from DX mentioned in the thread above, I like that this has free shipping and is protected through ebay/Paypal. I considered buying the DX light, but was weary of all the comments about super long shipping timelines and hacked Paypal accounts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just got home and it was delivered. It's charging now but everything appears decent quality at first glance. Should be able to try it tomorrow night.

I don't believe it's identical to the DX one linked to above. That one looks closer to the older magicshine 808 which had a 900 lumen P7 and battery issues. The one I bought, and that the OP linked to, seems based on the newer 808e which has a more powerful 1000 cree XML and supposedly improved battery.

I actually ordered the 808e from DX originally but cancelled it due to the shipping length and the fact that I found this one from a US seller for cheaper.

I'll post some more thoughts after trying it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    As stated above, it looks very similar to the XML-T6 3-Mode 1200-Lumen light (actually ~ 750 lumens) from Deal Extreme T6 Water Resistant XML-T6 3-Mode 1200-Lumen White LED Bike Light with Battery Pack Set - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

I just got mine and I don't think you can find a better light for $45. My initial impressions are nice and bright (not 1200 lumens but plenty of light for night riding) and the build quality is good. We'll have to wait and see about duability and how long it lasts.
    I also added a Wide Angle Lens to spread out the spot. ( Wide Angle Lens 4 MagicShine, Gemini, Lupine Bike Light | eBay )

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Nope, not too good to be true. It's a very decent buy. It's actually better looking then the DX $44 light (which I have).

This $60 one on ebay comes with an OP (orange peel) reflector, which is much better then the smooth reflector in the DX light.
    And this one has a better battery bag. The bag that comes on the DX light has an almost useless strap. You need to use additional straps to secure it to your bike.

I wish I could see the battery, but at this price, I doubt it's the newer/better waterproof ones. Still a great deal.

*Edit. I just realized that seller is in the US too, and shipping is only a couple days! Wow, if everything arrives as it is in the auction, that deal just got sweeter!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I've got 1, cracking light amazing power for the money leaves my mates HID for dead just be careful with the wires that go into the lamp unit, if you drop the battery pack it pulls them loose, my lights cut out if I pull the cable so I've glued them to stop it, the internals are all glued in on mine sadly so can't re wire it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I ordered mine from amazon on Friday, got it today - so 3 business days I guess...beats a month or so from DX. Everything looks as it was described and is identical to the one on ebay. Just took some pictures; tried inserting them here but can't since I don't have 10 posts. I've tried adding a link below...need to replace xx.

I also ordered a wide angle lens from brightstonesports on ebay Saturday and got it today as well. I've gone ahead and swapped it in....so it's in the pics. BTW, I can confirm that the light does have an orange peel reflector not a smooth one. The battery appears to me that it could be water resistant (it has a rubber cover) but I might be mistaken.

Tried it in the house and back yard real quick...no pics but it's bright.

hxxp://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/573/imgp2739.jpg/

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Tarheel, mind if I ask what you paid total? The one I saw on Amazon was $68 and it didn't include shipping.

And by the way, the battery you show in your photos is the nicer/newer one I was referring to above, nice!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I paid $65 with free shipping. I actually found the one on eBay for $5 less a few minutes after ordering the amazon one....probably would have gone with it if I hadn't already placed the amazon order.

Tried inserting a link here to the amazon one but it's not allowing me. Just search "XML Cree 1000 bike". It's the first one that comes up for me...sold by ATC.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    looks good so far. lets get some beam shots.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    http://www.amazon.com/Lumen-4-Mode-1...0333987&sr=8-1

Here's the link to amazon. There are a few beam shots on the amazon page, which if they are true, look really good. The amazon listing doesn't say anything about the warranty though.

Anyone notice that this and the ebay ad have the exact same misspellings?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I just pulled the trigger on 2 of the DX lights. I figured for $86 total, I should be able to light up my path pretty good

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by litljay View Post
    I just pulled the trigger on 2 of the DX lights. I figured for $86 total, I should be able to light up my path pretty good
    A friend of mine has one. It is a good light, perhaps a bit "spotty", but it lights the trail. Nobody died, he had fun. Mission accomplished. Two will be plenty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    This unit seems to not be available but this one: http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-4-M...0682251&sr=8-9
    comes up instead.

Anybody know the differences? Type of reflector, beam pattern etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Lumen-4-Mode-1...0333987&sr=8-1

Here's the link to amazon. There are a few beam shots on the amazon page, which if they are true, look really good. The amazon listing doesn't say anything about the warranty though.

Anyone notice that this and the ebay ad have the exact same misspellings?

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Nobody died, he had fun.
    sounds like a perfect ride then!!!
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    yea looks pretty good. some real pic would be good tho.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I got one of these from DX a few weeks ago; got to try it out on a trail for the first time today for the last half hour or so of my ride. It definitely is more of a spot beam , but my only comparison is with a Nightsun (I think) like 15-20 years ago. It wasn't completely dark by the time I got back to the car, but I can definitely see why everyone uses one light on the bars and one on the helmet; the twisties would have been interesting with only the single light in total darkness.
    Driving home I think the cheap DX light puts out more light than the crappy clouded headlights on my car, though...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Used mine for the first time tonight too.

Paid 44 at DX.

Also have an older Dinotte 800L on the bars and another MS light. I was w/o the Dinotte tonight so it was just the MS on the bars and the clone on the helmet.

I like a decent spot on the helmet but this is ridiculous. Unless you look WAY down the trail, the spot is so tight it's just not that useful. Bright, yes. But the spot is SO small that I just didn't care for it.

I think what made it worse was the MS is more of a spot as well however better though. I had 2 spots at all times that I kept seeing. It was annoying.

I'm going to use it again w/ the Dinotte 800L and see how I feel. I have a feeling it will be better as the Dinotte covers a lot in front of the bike w/ a nice fairly wide beam. It's bright all over w/o a hot spot.

Will report back in a few days.

MB

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have been riding the new Serfas 500, great light for +/- 75

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    ...I like a decent spot on the helmet but this is ridiculous. Unless you look WAY down the trail, the spot is so tight it's just not that useful. Bright, yes. But the spot is SO small that I just didn't care for it.

I think what made it worse was the MS is more of a spot as well however better though. I had 2 spots at all times that I kept seeing. It was annoying.

MB
    MB3, You would probably like the Geoman version of the MS808E better. The Geoman 808E uses a shorter reflector that is OP ( orange peal ) textured. As a result the beam pattern is not as much of a spot as these cheaper knock-offs. It still has a hot spot but it is wider and fans out when pointing forward. Lately I've use mine on the road bike and I've been very impressed. Even on mid-level it lights up the whole road and still has excellent throw.

Dang it, I was going say that since you already have a battery you could just buy the Geoman MS808E light head but then I remembered that someone said the two used different sized battery plugs...what a bummer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hmm, the more I thought about it last night, I think that MX is too much of a spot, just like MB3 said. I ordered up one of those wide angle lenses that MaKn linked, I figure for 5 total why not.
    I'm thinking maybe a GeoMan 808 with the OP reflector for the helmet, and the DX light on the bars with the wide angle might be a better combination (?)
    Doing my ride right after work will give me a few more rides with some light to get things sorted before I venture out in total darkness.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Ok let's just clear something up here. The lights that litljay, XLR99 and MB323323 are talking about are NOT the light that this thread was originally discussing.

This is one of the problems, there are several lights now that are similar, but NOT the same.

People are posting in this thread which is about a specific light, and saying "I picked one of these up from DX"......... but you didn't. The DX light is different.

Nothing wrong with talking about different lights in a thread, but I think it's important that we don't talk about them as if they were the SAME light.

The one the original poster linked (on ebay for $59 and change), has an Orange Peel reflector, newer rubber/plastic encased battery and newer/better battery bag. It's going to have a better beam then the $44 DX light because of the reflector.

If anything, the $59 light on ebay is more like the Magicshine MJ-808e (which is also available on DX, but not for $44)

You can see the problem with mixing them up. People are posting in this thread that they bought "this" light, but from DX, and then they are complaining about the beam.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I finally got to hit the trails with mine Monday night. It's the same as the OP's ebay one but from amazon (sold out now). Sorry, no pictures; crappy cellphone pics wouldn't be representative of real life and I don't haul my slr out on rides.

I was very happy with it though. Granted this is my first light so nothing to compare it to other than the older Nightrider my friend uses. Compared to that, it definitely seemed brighter, had a longer throw, and about the same amount of flood.

I rode about 1.5 hrs and the battery seemed to hold up fine as the light did not appear to dim during that period.

I tried adding the wide angle lens at first. It produced a much wider flood but reduced the throw significantly. I tried pairing it with a torch I bought from ebay but the torch stopped working within the first 5 minutes, so I ended up removing the wide angle lens b/c the throw wasn't long enough for me to use it without another longer light too.

I think I got the torch working now after tightening something when I got home. It's an Ultrafire that also claims to use a 1000 lm Cree XML T6 LED. Though the LED is supposedly the same on both units, the torch is much dimmer. Wish I would have spent an extra $30 and purchased a second bike set now instead of it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by warimono View Post
    This unit seems to not be available but this one:
    comes up instead.

The specs are exactly the same. I bet it's identical with just a different case. Looks like they've increased the price too though - $75 now vs the $65 I paid a week ago.

Actually, I've just noticed that if you click the OP's ebay link, that product has changed now too and looks the same as this newer amazon version. It's $61 now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tarheel03 View Post
    ...Actually, I've just noticed that if you click the OP's ebay link, that product has changed now too and looks the same as this newer amazon version. It's $61 now.
    I was going to provide that link in another thread a few minutes ago and found it wasn't what I expected. Thought I was having another "senior" moment.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by warimono View Post
    This unit seems to not be available but this one: http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-4-M...0682251&sr=8-9
    comes up instead.

As far as I can tell, the difference is in a better sealed housing that claims to be waterproof. The one linked has three screws holding in the lens cover and a red o-ring, the previous one that is sold out didn't have the sealed head.

Could be other differences as well, but those were the ones I could see from the pics.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yep Fightnut, I was talking about DX 85210.

Sorry, don't beat me up. LOL

There are just so many clones now. Man a lot of people night ride... A good thing!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    MB3, You would probably like the Geoman version of the MS808E better. The Geoman 808E uses a shorter reflector that is OP ( orange peal ) textured. As a result the beam pattern is not as much of a spot as these cheaper knock-offs. It still has a hot spot but it is wider and fans out when pointing forward. Lately I've use mine on the road bike and I've been very impressed. Even on mid-level it lights up the whole road and still has excellent throw.

Dang it, I was going say that since you already have a battery you could just buy the Geoman MS808E light head but then I remembered that someone said the two used different sized battery plugs...what a bummer.
    I have an original P7 MS900 with the new, replaced-under-warranty Geoman battery. I'm having difficulty with the switch on the back of the MS900 (I have to push it very hard to get it to change modes, hard enough that it's difficult to maintain the pressure for 2 seconds to turn it off). I'm considering upgrading to the newer XML version. I'm trying to decide, is it worth it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Hi hernluis

I think the bicycle light you list is very expensive.My friends got one bicycle light from Ebay named sayusellme, which is cheap but good

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Here are a couple of crappy iphone shots I took of the beam on last nights ride.

Light was on High on both shots.
    Light is the exact one OP was talking about. I purchase them from ebay for $61.59 shipped from seller "multi-function1002".
    1000Lm CREE XM-L T6 LED Headlamp / Bicycle Light SET Flashlight Ship from US | eBay
    looks like he raised his price.

Light is branded " Sanguan SG-N1000"
    Last edited by Jimmy.T; 11-15-2011 at 03:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by starthere View Post
    I think the bicycle light you list is very expensive.My friends got one bicycle light from Ebay named sayusellme, which is cheap but good
    You're comparing apples to oranges. I checked out the XML lights from the seller you listed, and his are similar to the DX $44 ones. They have a smooth reflector and the older/cheaper style battery and battery bag.
    It is well worth the extra $15 or so for the better OP reflector, battery and battery bag.

Oh, and to call a $60 XML bike light "expensive" is just ridiculous.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Wow, that beam pattern is much better than the $44 version.

I mentioned riding w/ the MS on the bar and the 44 on the helmet was annoying as they both had spots moving around.

I did ride w/ my Dinotte 800L old version and it was much better and works ok since the 800L does not have that hot spot.

The one you guys mentioned is well worth the extra $$ based on that beam shot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    Yep Fightnut, I was talking about DX 85210.

Sorry, don't beat me up. LOL
    Lol, sorry I wasn't trying to sound like I was scolding anyone. I was just trying to be clear

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I also just got one of these yesterday - no ride yet because we had tstorms and tornado warnings along with 2" of rain; did test it out on the porch, though.
    Compared to the DX 85210 it seems a step up in quality overall as other people have noted. The connectors are better, and include an O Ring seal; battery pack looks better sealed and the battery pouch is better with two straps rather than one. Connectors aren't interchangeable between the two lights.
    The beam pattern looks far better as well. My plan is to use this light on the helmet, and use the DX 85210 with a wide angle lense on the bars. When I get time I'll put up some comparison pictures.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy.T View Post
    Here are a couple of crappy iphone shots I took of the beam on last nights ride.

[

I'm trying to figure out how you managed to get the whole bike illuminated in the photo, not to mention that there are shadows being thrown by the bike ?... A second light source involved..??

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I'm trying to figure out how you managed to get the whole bike illuminated in the photo, not to mention that there are shadows being thrown by the bike ?... A second light source involved..??
    I had a light on my helmet but I made sure to turn that off. After thinking about it, I did forget to turn the flash off my iphone - that probably explains what you are talking about. Overall though, I dont think that flash has any significant contribution to the beam pattern the bike light is projecting.

also after looking at the shadows of the bike again, the flash would't cast a shadow in that direction so i really dont know what to tell you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    are the connectors and cables on the Ebay light the same size as the original 900 lumen Magicshine lights with the flammablebatteries?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mappable View Post
    are the connectors and cables on the Ebay light the same size as the original 900 lumen Magicshine lights with the flammablebatteries?
    At the bottom of your link there is a "Contact" listing. The seller would be best person to ask ( me thinks ) as far as connector issues go. I am confused by your reference to "flammable batteries". Aren't all batteries flammable ( per say ) given the proper abuse, negligence or outright pyrotechnic environment?

mtbr member
    Tarheel & Jimmyt Just purchased two XML cree & reflectors from Amazon-ATC. They are now 76.00 free shipping. My old firestorm will get smoked I'm sure. You two made me go all in! Can't wait, I need a cold shower.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    jimbowho, ha, cool, hope you like them. I used mine again a few days ago and still no complaints. This time I used the ATC light helmet mounted and my torch on the bars. The torch on the bar seemed to provide no benefit though b/c the ATC light is just so much brighter. Wish I'd have gone with two of these from ATC/ebay like you did instead of saving money by getting the torch. Guess they've been selling well since prices have increased on both Amazon and eBay.

BTW, from Jimmy.T's pictures, I can see that he has the different style head case from mine but the beam looks to be a pretty accurate representation of what my light looks like in use too.

mtbr member
    I'm sure I'll be happy if it's as bright as it looks x2 in my case. It's my gift to me for Christmas. Went with two mainly for spares, but will run them both until "hopefully not" any break downs. Can't wait to fiddle with the reflector doohickeys to find a sweet spot, no pun. No more high dollar lights for me. Technology is really kicking ass on lights.

mtbr member
    Looking to buy one of these but I need clarification...

I want one that will mount on my bars and cast the wider light - not a super tight spot. I checked the two on ebay and neither show a bar mount. Which one should I get?

1000 Lumen CREE XML T6 LED Bicycle bike HeadLight Lamp Flashlight Light Headlamp | eBay

or

1000Lm CREE XM-L T6 LED Headlamp / Bicycle Light SET Flashlight Ship from US | eBay

mtbr member
    The photo of the light connected to a head strap, is how it sits on the bars. Connects with O-rings. I'm guessing I will loose the straps and zip-tie the plastic mount to my helmet.

In your case you will just place the light on the bar and stretch a O-ring under the bar.

The spot gets dimmed or widened by seperate reflectors. Go to Amazon, under what other users purchesed below, it shows the 5.00 add on. I think Geo has them too. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Does this have enough throw for road riding?
    Do the rubber rings keep the light stable on the bars?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Do any of you guys have a BikeRay III? I'd like to know how you think these stack up to the BRIII.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    thought I should chime back in on this thread.

I got the light in the original post probably about a month ago, but haven't ridden with it yet.
    I can say though, that the beam does appear "spotty" based on shining it in the backyard. It's totally useable, but I'm sure there is a better balance of flood and spot than this. Perhaps some of the more expensive versions have a better optic for this. (Also, mine does have the orange peel reflector)
    The beam pattern shown in the pics above looks pretty accurate to what I bought.

Mine was $60 with free shipping.

I'll post some pics if I get a chance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I just bought one of these on eBay for $60. I went the auction route instead of Buy It Now. I hope none of you pushed the price up on me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast