Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

$60 xml bike light- too good to be true?

Here is its sixty dollars shipped. One year warranty and us dealer. Any thoughts?

1000 Lumen CREE XML T6 LED Bicycle bike HeadLight Lamp Flashlight Light Headlamp | eBay

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I actually just purchased that same light off of amazon ($65 from seller ATC). I was about to buy the magicshine 808e when I found this for $30 less than I could get the 808e from a US seller; same specs and looks identical so figured it was worth a shot.

It should be delivered today and I'm hoping to try it out this week. I can post some thoughts once I've tried it. It's my first light so nothing to compare it to other than what my friends ride with (I don't recall what those are off hand).

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yes I would appreciate some insight as im thinking about getting one soon. Pics and or a review would be awesome.

mtbr member
    They seem the same as the ones that dealextreme sells for $45. Here's a long thread:
    New bike lights on DX

Tim

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I just decided to pull the trigger on it. I had $50 from some extra work I did for a buddy, figured it's worth a try. I'll report on it when I get it. Even if it is the same unit from DX mentioned in the thread above, I like that this has free shipping and is protected through ebay/Paypal. I considered buying the DX light, but was weary of all the comments about super long shipping timelines and hacked Paypal accounts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just got home and it was delivered. It's charging now but everything appears decent quality at first glance. Should be able to try it tomorrow night.

I don't believe it's identical to the DX one linked to above. That one looks closer to the older magicshine 808 which had a 900 lumen P7 and battery issues. The one I bought, and that the OP linked to, seems based on the newer 808e which has a more powerful 1000 cree XML and supposedly improved battery.

I actually ordered the 808e from DX originally but cancelled it due to the shipping length and the fact that I found this one from a US seller for cheaper.

I'll post some more thoughts after trying it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    As stated above, it looks very similar to the XML-T6 3-Mode 1200-Lumen light (actually ~ 750 lumens) from Deal Extreme T6 Water Resistant XML-T6 3-Mode 1200-Lumen White LED Bike Light with Battery Pack Set - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

I just got mine and I don't think you can find a better light for $45. My initial impressions are nice and bright (not 1200 lumens but plenty of light for night riding) and the build quality is good. We'll have to wait and see about duability and how long it lasts.
    I also added a Wide Angle Lens to spread out the spot. ( Wide Angle Lens 4 MagicShine, Gemini, Lupine Bike Light | eBay )

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Nope, not too good to be true. It's a very decent buy. It's actually better looking then the DX $44 light (which I have).

This $60 one on ebay comes with an OP (orange peel) reflector, which is much better then the smooth reflector in the DX light.
    And this one has a better battery bag. The bag that comes on the DX light has an almost useless strap. You need to use additional straps to secure it to your bike.

I wish I could see the battery, but at this price, I doubt it's the newer/better waterproof ones. Still a great deal.

*Edit. I just realized that seller is in the US too, and shipping is only a couple days! Wow, if everything arrives as it is in the auction, that deal just got sweeter!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I've got 1, cracking light amazing power for the money leaves my mates HID for dead just be careful with the wires that go into the lamp unit, if you drop the battery pack it pulls them loose, my lights cut out if I pull the cable so I've glued them to stop it, the internals are all glued in on mine sadly so can't re wire it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I ordered mine from amazon on Friday, got it today - so 3 business days I guess...beats a month or so from DX. Everything looks as it was described and is identical to the one on ebay. Just took some pictures; tried inserting them here but can't since I don't have 10 posts. I've tried adding a link below...need to replace xx.

I also ordered a wide angle lens from brightstonesports on ebay Saturday and got it today as well. I've gone ahead and swapped it in....so it's in the pics. BTW, I can confirm that the light does have an orange peel reflector not a smooth one. The battery appears to me that it could be water resistant (it has a rubber cover) but I might be mistaken.

Tried it in the house and back yard real quick...no pics but it's bright.

hxxp://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/573/imgp2739.jpg/

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Tarheel, mind if I ask what you paid total? The one I saw on Amazon was $68 and it didn't include shipping.

And by the way, the battery you show in your photos is the nicer/newer one I was referring to above, nice!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I paid $65 with free shipping. I actually found the one on eBay for $5 less a few minutes after ordering the amazon one....probably would have gone with it if I hadn't already placed the amazon order.

Tried inserting a link here to the amazon one but it's not allowing me. Just search "XML Cree 1000 bike". It's the first one that comes up for me...sold by ATC.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    looks good so far. lets get some beam shots.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    http://www.amazon.com/Lumen-4-Mode-1...0333987&sr=8-1

Here's the link to amazon. There are a few beam shots on the amazon page, which if they are true, look really good. The amazon listing doesn't say anything about the warranty though.

Anyone notice that this and the ebay ad have the exact same misspellings?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I just pulled the trigger on 2 of the DX lights. I figured for $86 total, I should be able to light up my path pretty good

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by litljay View Post
    I just pulled the trigger on 2 of the DX lights. I figured for $86 total, I should be able to light up my path pretty good
    A friend of mine has one. It is a good light, perhaps a bit "spotty", but it lights the trail. Nobody died, he had fun. Mission accomplished. Two will be plenty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    This unit seems to not be available but this one: http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-4-M...0682251&sr=8-9
    comes up instead.

Anybody know the differences? Type of reflector, beam pattern etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Lumen-4-Mode-1...0333987&sr=8-1

Here's the link to amazon. There are a few beam shots on the amazon page, which if they are true, look really good. The amazon listing doesn't say anything about the warranty though.

Anyone notice that this and the ebay ad have the exact same misspellings?

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Nobody died, he had fun.
    sounds like a perfect ride then!!!
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    yea looks pretty good. some real pic would be good tho.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I got one of these from DX a few weeks ago; got to try it out on a trail for the first time today for the last half hour or so of my ride. It definitely is more of a spot beam , but my only comparison is with a Nightsun (I think) like 15-20 years ago. It wasn't completely dark by the time I got back to the car, but I can definitely see why everyone uses one light on the bars and one on the helmet; the twisties would have been interesting with only the single light in total darkness.
    Driving home I think the cheap DX light puts out more light than the crappy clouded headlights on my car, though...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Used mine for the first time tonight too.

Paid 44 at DX.

Also have an older Dinotte 800L on the bars and another MS light. I was w/o the Dinotte tonight so it was just the MS on the bars and the clone on the helmet.

I like a decent spot on the helmet but this is ridiculous. Unless you look WAY down the trail, the spot is so tight it's just not that useful. Bright, yes. But the spot is SO small that I just didn't care for it.

I think what made it worse was the MS is more of a spot as well however better though. I had 2 spots at all times that I kept seeing. It was annoying.

I'm going to use it again w/ the Dinotte 800L and see how I feel. I have a feeling it will be better as the Dinotte covers a lot in front of the bike w/ a nice fairly wide beam. It's bright all over w/o a hot spot.

Will report back in a few days.

MB

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have been riding the new Serfas 500, great light for +/- 75

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    ...I like a decent spot on the helmet but this is ridiculous. Unless you look WAY down the trail, the spot is so tight it's just not that useful. Bright, yes. But the spot is SO small that I just didn't care for it.

I think what made it worse was the MS is more of a spot as well however better though. I had 2 spots at all times that I kept seeing. It was annoying.

MB
    MB3, You would probably like the Geoman version of the MS808E better. The Geoman 808E uses a shorter reflector that is OP ( orange peal ) textured. As a result the beam pattern is not as much of a spot as these cheaper knock-offs. It still has a hot spot but it is wider and fans out when pointing forward. Lately I've use mine on the road bike and I've been very impressed. Even on mid-level it lights up the whole road and still has excellent throw.

Dang it, I was going say that since you already have a battery you could just buy the Geoman MS808E light head but then I remembered that someone said the two used different sized battery plugs...what a bummer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hmm, the more I thought about it last night, I think that MX is too much of a spot, just like MB3 said. I ordered up one of those wide angle lenses that MaKn linked, I figure for 5 total why not.
    I'm thinking maybe a GeoMan 808 with the OP reflector for the helmet, and the DX light on the bars with the wide angle might be a better combination (?)
    Doing my ride right after work will give me a few more rides with some light to get things sorted before I venture out in total darkness.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Ok let's just clear something up here. The lights that litljay, XLR99 and MB323323 are talking about are NOT the light that this thread was originally discussing.

This is one of the problems, there are several lights now that are similar, but NOT the same.

People are posting in this thread which is about a specific light, and saying "I picked one of these up from DX"......... but you didn't. The DX light is different.

Nothing wrong with talking about different lights in a thread, but I think it's important that we don't talk about them as if they were the SAME light.

The one the original poster linked (on ebay for $59 and change), has an Orange Peel reflector, newer rubber/plastic encased battery and newer/better battery bag. It's going to have a better beam then the $44 DX light because of the reflector.

If anything, the $59 light on ebay is more like the Magicshine MJ-808e (which is also available on DX, but not for $44)

You can see the problem with mixing them up. People are posting in this thread that they bought "this" light, but from DX, and then they are complaining about the beam.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast