mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Yet more triple Xpg questions!

I have a couple of questions about another triple Xpg light. It will use a b2flex driver,3 Xpgs on stars with reginas and a 4S1P lipo battery. 2 questions:
    1) I haven't seen any comment on case shapes-Would there be a benefit to having 3 leds in a line versus in a triangle as far as light quality or am I spending too much time thinking?
    2) I would like to use a switch with a led indicator for low battery power. Any favorites?
    Thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Mushy
    I have a couple of questions about another triple Xpg light. It will use a b2flex driver,3 Xpgs on stars with reginas and a 4S1P lipo battery. 2 questions:
    1) I haven't seen any comment on case shapes-Would there be a benefit to having 3 leds in a line versus in a triangle as far as light quality or am I spending too much time thinking?
    2) I would like to use a switch with a led indicator for low battery power. Any favorites?
    Thanks for the input!

I can only give an opinion on Q1

unless you do some careful aiming of the reginas it will make no seeable difference
    I have done 4 inline and 4 in a square and the beam has been very similar .

mtbr member
    on Q2, I like these a great deal. Not cheap, but I've used a few of them and they're nice to work with. Only trouble I had was with one where one of the stat LED legs broke off as I was moving the wire around too much, but I fixed that pretty easily. You can get them in different colours too

btw, why not throw an XM-L with Laura-RS/ CXP RS optic in there? Reginas are v. nice, but they tend to throw a rather clearly defined hotspot and the beam has a sharp cut off at the edge (common to all reflectors). Adding an optic in there might help even the beam out a bit. Perhaps Troutie has an opinion on that, he knows his optics/reflectors better than I do.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Troutie-Mtb- Thanks for the response. My builds are sloppy enough where I'm probably not going to accurately aim reflectors. I have some 1"x3" tubing and some 1 3/4 " square tubing, one of which will be the home of my next build. The square tube would be less clunky but heat may be more of an issue.
    Mattthemuppet- Thanks for the switch info. I have had extremely happy with my orders from Digikey-fast and positive. I think I will give your XM-L idea a go. I just ordered 2 leds along with the optics. This build will be of a sled design- where did that that idea come from? Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Mushy
    My builds are sloppy enough where I'm probably not going to accurately aim reflectors
    Be careful about alignment of the reflector or optic to the LED. I have seen that there are noticeable losses in beam shape and brightness with less than .5mm position error