mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Yet another DIY/CNC LED light-

I figured I'd toss my hat in the ring here too- All this talk and design of lights inspired me to make my own. I opted for a Quad design using Cree P4's (I ordered them right before the Seoul's came out- DO'H) and have been tinkering for a while. I knocked out this housing on a hobby sized CNC mill

The pocket in the back holds the electronics and connectors, and the stars and optics are housed up front. The outer shell makes it super easy to swap the optics for optimal beam configuration.

and ended up using a blfex and an 18.5 v battery for a total weight of 438g. It's a bit heavier than I'd like it to be, but I think there's some room for improvement in the next version.

I unfortunately don't have any beam shots, but tonight is a new moon, so I think that may have to happen.

Spanish biker
    Hi, very good job!!!!!!!!

For that are the holes of the first photo?? I thought that was for put the leds and the optics but I see that don't so. Perhaps it had been better put inside the optics without the holders, directly on the CNC light

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr
    Warning!!! my english is very very bad, sorry.

Easy DIY led light1
    Easy DIY led light2

The Beast!!!

My Rusty Knee
    NICE VERY

good work fella.

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by msxtr
    Hi, very good job!!!!!!!!

For that are the holes of the first photo?? I thought that was for put the leds and the optics but I see that don't so. Perhaps it had been better put inside the optics without the holders, directly on the CNC light

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr

Thanks!

The holes are for mounting the back plate-

This is a construction pic, before I drilled the appropriate holes and did the wiring, but you get the idea. If I get some time for more pics tonight I'll take one of the back.

I though about not using the holders for the optics, but decided I'd like to be able to switch them around easily, and given the non-standard dimensions of each (especially thickness) I figured this was the simplest. That and I didn't really want to make an additional piece to secure them.

Spanish biker
    Zorba the geek

By the way, have you used constant current circuit or go directly to the battery?

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr
    Warning!!! my english is very very bad, sorry.

Easy DIY led light1
    Easy DIY led light2

The Beast!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by msxtr
    Zorba the geek

By the way, have you used constant current circuit or go directly to the battery?

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr

There's a bFlex in there.

My Rusty Knee
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorba the geek
    There's a bFlex in there.
    Good choice

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Man... very sweet indeed! I like it
    Great job.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Double post... sorry.
    Keep up the good work!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks for the encouragement!

I had limited succes taking photos due to being too stupid to use my own camera. I couldn't for the life of me make it keep the same settings.

I went out to a trail, measured out 100' and put ,my helmet out there for reference.

I tried to keep the settings the same for the next three, with limited success:

The only things I had to compare it with were the headlights on the truck:

and a Surefire Halogen flashlight:

shutter speed (and probably apeture) settings aren't constant, so these are pretty subjective. I also walked out the 100' and took a pic of the light sitting on the hood of the truck:

and here's a couple pics of the final front and back:

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for all the photos and sharing your build with us. That's what this forum is all about!

Four Cree XR-E (p4-bin) should give you a pretty good output. (700+ lumen at one amp)
    What combo of lens angle are you running?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by achesalot
    Thanks for all the photos and sharing your build with us. That's what this forum is all about!

Four Cree XR-E (p4-bin) should give you a pretty good output. (700+ lumen at one amp)
    What combo of lens angle are you running?

I wish I knew what the square ones are- I traded a few with a friend. I haved a suspision that they're 5 degrees, the white round one (cree) is 9 degrees, and the black round one is 28 degrees. I havn't had a chance to get out for a good night trail ride (especially now that it's light so late) but I have a feeling the beam is going to be pretty good.