Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

xXx (with active cooling)

I'm gonna call this one xXx (or just triple-"X"...ala...Vin Diesel)

I was bored and had nothing to do in the shop b/c I'm outta hex bar and my remaining 3 test hosts for quazzle's L3x board are getting anodized. I still had some 1" square stock left over from an order mishap. The first challenge was chucking up a 4-sided structure in a 3-jaw lathe. Finally got my 20mm hole bored. (set up for a snap ring retainer) This one is a bit different. I wanted to free up the optics a bit b/c I noticed that on my 20mm projects...the O-ring laps over the optics a bit.

I bored a 20mm hole for the board and optics and a 21.5mm hole for the lens and O-ring. The O-ring is a 21mm OD / 19mm ID...so I get a seal directly over the seam. (RIGHTEOUS!!)

Moving on to the rest of the proposed idea...

Not an original idea to say the least...do a search for Rubix or Wall-E here on MTBR and you'll see a couple of incredible active cooling designs. I will be using the same thermostat as was used in both of those lights. I have a Sunon 5vDC 25x25x6mm cooling fan on order from Digikey. I also have a 5v DC voltage regulator which I'm still not so sure I need. Can I run a 5vDC fan on a 7.4v LiIon pack safely?

If I really need the vReg...I'll heat shrink it into the power cable, tie it in to the pos/neg and run the 3rd leg up into the thermostat and out to the fan.

Here's the pocket for the thermostat:

I had to do an angled hole that drops out the bottom and then straight back...(kinda like a backward hood scoop)...the wiring will run right over the top of the thermostat and out the back by the fan.

I will be shaving down two opposite corners of the cooling fan to match the contour.

Obviously the reason I'm calling it xXx...the triple emitter board mixed with the "X" pattern of the fins from the back. The body looks like a freakin' chunk until you see how much of it will be fins. It's quite lightweight...maybe even lighter than the hex lights. I have two M3 holes drilled and tapped awaiting the cooling fan.

You can see where I stopped finning on the bottom...project on hold until I replace my broken HS 2mm end mill. I was getting impatient and taking off a bit much with the mill. I knew better. I'd be finning this right now instead of just talking about it. I am considering continuing the fins (shallow) all the way out to the face. The goal of this light is to keep it cool.

2 new end mills OTW.
    Last edited by chelboed; 05-21-2010 at 10:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The fan:

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thermostat:

mtbr member
    My thoughts are you may be creating a solution to a problem that may not exist and adding complexity .

But just doing it is fun

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Agree...I am actually contemplating a plan C which incorporates a lazer beam to shoot the spiders as I ride before they hit my face.

mtbr member
    That is some really nice work! I did not even know they made 1" fans, please keep post'n pics.

One suggestion for your next project - why go for just one laser when you can have four? Behold the quad laser!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNYMxgNKIEU

help with the zip please
    Chelboed, when you do version D, may I suggest you creat vertical fins from top to bottom and mount the fan on the underside of the fins. The hot air will naturally tend to rise, with the fan on this will only be amplified. The way it is now you will be blowing the hot air into a dead end and back against the emitter.

Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I really did consider that...I'll have to really give it a go if this one pans out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed
    Not an original idea to say the least...do a search for Rubix or Wall-E here on MTBR and you'll see a couple of incredible active cooling designs. I will be using the same thermostat as was used in both of those lights. I have a Sunon 5vDC 25x25x6mm cooling fan on order from Digikey. I also have a 5v DC voltage regulator which I'm still not so sure I need. Can I run a 5vDC fan on a 7.4v LiIon pack safely?
    Hmmm... could those be my lights you're referring to? Sorry I got a little busy, and couldn't get back to your PM last week.

The regulator does need sinking, but at your current draw you might be able to get away without it. But... you should in case the fan ceases or get's stuck while riding, in which case it'll will draw more power causing it to run hot.

Also you can run the voltage reg before the thermostat... I just did it the other way around so that I don't have quiescent power loss of the regulator when not in use (though it's probably insignificant). Also note that your 7.4V pack is 8.4 fully charged, which might be a little too much over spec for the fan.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Helps alot! Thanks. I'll either:

a. run it w/o a regulator and overvolt the fan giving it more oomph...and if it burns out...do the vReg
    b. build a small housing for an external vReg in line with the power cord. I just don't think I left enough room for both.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    On the other hand...I may be able to bring the "pocket" back a mm or so and forward 3-4mm giving me enough room to sandwich them in there face-to-face...hmmm...

Carbon8er
    Fun to watch your projects.
    Keep posting them, I think they are cool.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

mtbr member
    very nice work

list of tools?
    It is possible for rice to absorb other odors in storage. Or could be the quality of water in it was prepared. Mahatma Rice

PRETENDURO
    That fan appears to be mounted backward… unless the unit is supposed to be a tail light???
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb
    My thoughts are you may be creating a solution to a problem that may not exist and adding complexity .

But just doing it is fun
    I agree.

My twin luxeon rebel setup uses standard 3/4" copper tubing with no dedicated heatsink and it still maintains a temp of only ~120 deg F in standing air with an ambient temp of about 76 deg F.

Keep in mind these LEDs can handle upwards of 200+ deg F and while the performance might degrade at such temps, if you're using the light you probably aren't standing still . On my bike, I've never felt its temp rise above ~85 degrees.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker
    That fan appears to be mounted backward… unless the unit is supposed to be a tail light???
    I guess it depends on which way you want the air to flow. I had it mounted the other way initially, but it was pulling air through the unit instead of blowing air through it. I am hoping that blowing air directly at the base of the heatsink will keep it cooler than drawing air through it.

I plan to try it both ways and check temps.
    Last edited by chelboed; 05-25-2010 at 05:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by oldassracer
    very nice work

list of tools?
    Cheapest Harbor Freight drill press
    Cheapest Harbor Freight cross slide vice
    2,4,6mm 4fl HS end mills from Victor Machine
    Neighbors 1920's lathe for the flat-bottom hole in the front
    $3 dial calipers from Harbor Freight
    Little metric ruler

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by klohiq
    I agree.

My twin luxeon rebel setup uses standard 3/4" copper tubing with no dedicated heatsink and it still maintains a temp of only ~120 deg F in standing air with an ambient temp of about 76 deg F.

Keep in mind these LEDs can handle upwards of 200+ deg F and while the performance might degrade at such temps, if you're using the light you probably aren't standing still . On my bike, I've never felt its temp rise above ~85 degrees.
    The XP-G is max rated at 302

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed
    I guess it depends on which way you want the air to flow. I had it mounted the other way initially, but it was pulling air through the unit instead of blowing air through it. I am hoping that blowing air directly at the base of the heatsink will keep it cooler than drawing air through it.

I plan to try it both ways and check temps.
    Blowing air into the fins from the rear of the light will work against the air flow while moving. Not sure if this would be a problem, but is something to think about.

I also agree with Troutie regarding the need for active cooling on a triple setup. But I think this would be a great idea to put on a miniature 7-up housing! Hmmm?

I continue to be amazed and impressed at the quality of work you achieve with a drill press! Makes me want to get that setup for home.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yeah...seems everyone's on the fence about the heat issue...thus, I wanted to have one ready when my boards get here. I gotta have one to use right away, LOL.

I wouldn't expect the cooling fan to turn on while I'm clipping along, but on a climb I don't think it'd work against it too much.

As I mentioned though...I'll be testing the hypothesis both ways.

mtbr member
    L332 has a LDO 5V regulator on board with 100mA output which you can use to power the fan (check the specs at http://www.lux-rc.com/content/showca...-EN-200410.pdf

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Man the L332 just keeps getting better! Good work quazzle : )

help with the zip please
    I don't think 100mA is enough to power that fan, but I could be wrong

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by quazzle
    L332 has a LDO 5V regulator on board with 100mA output which you can use to power the fan (check the specs at http://www.lux-rc.com/content/showca...-EN-200410.pdf

What's LDO stand for again?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast