Thread: XPG2 @ 2amps ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

XPG2 @ 2amps ?

I'm just finishing up a double XPG2 that Ill be using for running and also a bar light. I read a post awhile ago of someone running them at 2amps with no problems. Is anyone else running the XPG2 @ 2amps or should I just stick with the Cree max output of 1.5? Thanks, Jim.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm running one on ali star in a p60 drop-in at 2.57A and it's coping just well with the heat. So 2A should be no problem. If you're still not sure, get some direct to copper PCBs .

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Direct to copper is a good product but it is only about improved impedance, you still need to have thermal mass in your heat sink that deals with nearly 8 watts
    Cheers
    WeLight

Cutter Electronics Pty Ltd www.cutter.com.au

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    So it sounds like as long as my heat sink/housing can handle the heat it would be fine. After firing it up tonight at 1.5amps I think that should be more than enough for what I built it for. Not sure the housing could handle the extra heat anyway. Thank you for the input. Much appreciated!

mtbr member
    2A should be fine for XP-G2 on ali stars, but you'll start hitting a cliff (more and more current for the same increase in output) much above that from what I've seen. Direct to copper appears to shift that cliff a couple of amps higher, providing the heatsink is up to the task.