Thread: XPG-2 vs XPG

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

XPG-2 vs XPG

Hey guys was looking for some info.
    I've done plenty of homemade lights and have a drawer full right now, but I've not really been able to build a really ideal helmet unit.
    With my dual XML' unit I find the beam isn't really quite tight or deep enough(carclo and Ledil optics tried) and with XPE's not enough lumens without building more complicated unit.
    2 XML's vs 6-8 XPE's.
    XPG's seem to be a good middle ground but I'd like to know if there is really that much difference in throw between old XPG vs XPG-2.
    I did view the Troutie post but not sure what I'm seeing. Chris did you find the throw to be much different than the original XPG? It is obviously brighter but can't tell if it's tighter.
    On Cree's website they show specs as being identical to XPE in terms of viewing angle and die size( 1.53 radius on die and 115* v angle)
    Does this mean that beam should be very similar or am I missing some other factor?
    Ideally I'd like to build either a triple XPG-2 or a dual Triple running lower wattage for a head unit.
    Cree XP-G2 - LED Supply.com is what I'm considering for a build but might be too cool for me.
    Eric S

mtbr member
    Triple XP-E2 would be one option and you can buy parallel stars to make a really simple light with a 8x AMC7135 driver. Another would be XM-L plus larger reflector or aspherics.

Based on what I've heard on here (no personal experience), I wouldn't bother with triple XP-Gs and those dinky optics. Haven't heard back from anybody building one with the XP-G2s though, at least in a apples to apples comparison.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I just had my dual triple XPG lights rebuilt with XPG-2s (not by me though) and I'm very happy with the upgrade.
    I ordered some neutral white 20mm triples from Cutters and sent them and my lights to Matt Malone (who goes by the name "Matthewm" on these forums) who is the guy behind the design of the "Gili 6" of which I have two now. We retained the original Carclo optics.
    The result is a slightly tighter beam, with a significantly warmer tint - at the very limit of what I would call neutral white anyway.
    At lower amps the quality of the tint is much better when compared to the original XPG R5's (ie; no greenish hue), as is the output lumen-wise. At full wack (1.5amps) the output is certainly very impressive - well north of 1100 lumens per triple I would estimate.
    I've mounted the two Gili 6's under my bars to complement the two IBlaast IX's from Nightlightning which are mounted on top of my bars for a grand total of 30 XPG's mounted on my handlebars - 12 x neutral white XPG-2's plus 18 x neutral white original XPG R5's (which are closer to a true white).
    The two slightly different tints combine to make a beam that is very pleasing & easy on the eye considering it must be up around 9000 lumens in total.
    What is surprising though, is that even with their warmer tint, the 12 XPG-2's are very close to the brightness of the 18 original XPG's - much more than the 66% the numbers would suggest, I'd say closer to 80 to 90%.

Cheers,

Digger.

mtbr member
    I have two of Matt's lights as well... I too replaced the old xpg's with xpg2's from cutter and was impressed with the upgrade and the tint. I thought they were pretty bright but sounds like you have gone a step further lol. I wouldn't want to come across you head-on with that lot going !

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yeah it's not a bad setup. I've been meaning to post some beam shots.
    I really like what the two different tints look like together. If I upgrade the other lights to XPG-2's I'm not really sure if I should try a cool white tint, seeing as the XPG-2's seem to be quite a bit warmer than the 1st gen versions.

mtbr member
    Ye I had cool tints on old and new, 1C. The xpg2 1C is a tad warmer for sure. I posted some beamshots of both where you could see the tint differences a while back but I think they got wiped from the host.

*op, I've been thinking about a throwy helmet light for ages. Tripple xpg2's with tight carclo optics dont really throw that far. Im convinced aspheric is the way to go. Quite tempted to try something like DX sku: 170146

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I did find this link just now;
    XLamp XP-G2 LED PTM provided by Digi-Key and Cree
    Take time to read it, some interesting stuff.

Seems the XPG2 has a narrower viewing angle than old but the dome spec is larger.
    Interestingly enough the XPE2 is shown also as having a larger dome but smaller viewing angle so I guess dome size isn't everything.
    They do say the XPG2 was designed to throw more light forward into a tighter beam pattern.
    I just wish I could find them in a warmer tint than most sites have.
    Illumination supply has 10mm stars in a 5000k bin, not too bad without getting overly picky
    Eric S