mtbr member
    Apr 2008

XPE or XPG into Nightlightning IBlaast?

G'day all. This is my first post, although I've been a member for about a year, but a lurker for much longer. I'm a huge fan of this forum. The combined "know-how" is simply awesome! I'm looking to upgrade my Nightlightning IBlaast from 3 LED's to 4 or more if it's possible. I understand the XPE's (& the as of yet unavailable XPG's) & their associated optics are smaller than the XRE R2's that I could use to make a quad emitter upgade. But I'd like to go better than that. I had imagined a configuration similar to a Lupine Betty; ie, 7 LED's in the mr16 (50mm) IBlaast housing but using XPG's - would 7 XPG's fit?? I'd also like to exceed the 1500 lumens that a Betty produces! Is this do-able or pie in the sky dreaming? I'm an electronics novice, but I'm learning more thanks to you guys. Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to your input.

mtbr member
    7 might be tricky as the cable hole runs out the middle.
    6 XP-G around the outside would work nicely. 2000lm.
    I assume polymer optics will have something for the XP-G.
    You'll need to make sure it fits height wise too....
    You'll want a new driver....

The housing has heaps of cooling so should be able to handle 20W.

You might be better off selling it and getting a new housing (100 for an MR11, dunno about the MR16) to play with.

Nighlightning love DIY so drop them a line and tell them you want to do something crazy bright!
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the reply Znomit. I think I'll email Eric & see if he's keen to experiment with XPG's when they eventually become available. If I get 2000 lumens I'll be more than happy that's for sure! I've actually got two IBlaast's that I've been using for mountain biking, but I was thinking of modifying one for max lumens & leaving one of them standard (720 lumens) & buying a SON dynohub & adapting it to my road bike for commuting & training. Are the Seoul emmiter IBlaasts a good choice for a dyno-light? I know this is slightly off topic, but I thought I'd ask because you seem to have a wealth of knowledge on dynohub applications. In the meantime I'm continuing to learn as much about DYI LED bike lighting as I can, & I'm hoping to have a crack at my first build as soon as I've got some time between my commitments with the Australian Army. If only I'd joined the engineer corps instead of the infantry, I might have ended up just a bit smarter

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have been eying these optics with a lot of interest and now a company called future electronics is stocking them and DX has the XP-E.

http://www.khatod.com/jsp/index.jsp?p_gadgetURL=pagemapping.jsp%3Fid%3Dcatal og_illus&p_contentTopic=&pocs_bnav=yes&p_containerTopic=0000355457&p_Navigator=0000000114|0000026763|0000146780|00001 46790|0000355457

Like many of the Khatod optics this one is originally for the luxeon rebel but they tested it with the xp-e and were satisfied enough to publish some more data sheets.

A 39mm round 7up optic - I wonder which MR11 lights it can be shoe horned into.

mtbr member
    Oldausdigger

Welcome
    have a look here XPE Helmet light

6 XPE and hopefully 6 XPG are a nice number of leds to drive and there will be some more of these housings available very soon

mtbr member
    Ok just had a think. You can get 4 20mm triples into your 50mm housing.
    Thats 12 XP-E, 2500lm.

Cree or seoul doesn't really matter too much. I like crees because they are a little brighter and cutter do really nice optics.
    I run a nightlightning MR11 housing on the MTB with a quad R2 from cutter. Its good but I think a little overkill cooling wise as its run by the dyno so always has cooling when running.
    Simple low mass housings are fine for dynamo lights.
    Heres my simple road triple.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:

aka RossC
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjay
    I have been eying these optics with a lot of interest and now a company called future electronics is stocking them and DX has the XP-E.

http://www.khatod.com/jsp/index.jsp?p_gadgetURL=pagemapping.jsp%3Fid%3Dcatal og_illus&p_contentTopic=&pocs_bnav=yes&p_containerTopic=0000355457&p_Navigator=0000000114|0000026763|0000146780|00001 46790|0000355457

Like many of the Khatod optics this one is originally for the luxeon rebel but they tested it with the xp-e and were satisfied enough to publish some more data sheets.

A 39mm round 7up optic - I wonder which MR11 lights it can be shoe horned into.
    They also had a round 7 up for XPE in a 50mm size also... That sounds ready made for Mr Digger

Wasn't there someone on CPF who had a 7 up with XRE's? Trout, I think you helped him track down driver problems to a dud cell in the battery.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hey Troutie
    we have stock of the new 7 up Khatod XPE optics, I am getting MCPCB's made. What would you prefer in wiring config and what driver would you use
    Cheers
    WeLight

Cutter Electronics Pty Ltd www.cutter.com.au

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WeLight
    Hey Troutie
    we have stock of the new 7 up Khatod XPE optics, I am getting MCPCB's made. What would you prefer in wiring config and what driver would you use

That is a strange config really I suppose it is 7 in series and a maxflex / 18 volt battery

unless you went mad and did a 3 s and a seperate 4 s then 2 drivers and a proper hi low beam

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Big thanks to everyone for the input here. I think I'll give Mark a call at Cutter, put in an order & have a crack. It's the best way to learn I guess. If I get in over my head, I could be sending out an SOS to you guys for advice When It's finished I'll have to get myself a decent camera so I can post some photos, as that seems to be the tradition here Cheers - Digger.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    hmmmm seems that would be the way to go!!
    7up pcb or the 4x3up pcb with the XP-E

are the XP-E and the new XP-G Leds the same die size? so i can swap out the XP-E's in any build and put in the XP-G's?

what about the optics?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have a QuadBlasst and it's nearly twice as bright as an iBlasst2. If you use whatever's in a quadblaast I'm sure it will be enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WeLight
    Hey Troutie
    Seven LEDs, right on the 24V output limit for maxflex
    Hence series would make sense.
    Though personally I would like individually addressable so I can short some out for a 7/3/1 dyno light.
    DIY LED Bike Lights: