MUFC - Champions!!!
    Jul 2008

XP-G and XR-E optics

ive just upgraded from XR-E leds to XP-G but will it have an adverse affect on the performance of the led to still use my Ledil Spuare CRS-SS, the light is a Ameoba copy

Cheers Ben

help with the zip please
    I don't know but please try it. I don't believe anyone has actually tried an XPG led with and XRE optic, although I could be wrong. It was spoken about a couple of months ago in another thread that I can't think of at the moment but from memory no one had any of the older optics to play with. Troutie, or one of the other camera happy contributors may have done so since.

If you are looking for a helmet light I believe the regina is the pick of the crop, but it would need a cover of some sort if your light doesn't already have one

MUFC - Champions!!!
    Jul 2008
    I will going out to test tonight so will post results/beam shots later on

I am in the process of making an XP-G / Regina double as my helmet light but thought I would see what XP-Gs with XR-E ledil square optics works light..

let the tests begin

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I jest din't know if 2 XPG's with the Regina's will have enough punch. I've been riding with 4 XPG's using the Regina reflector lately. Good long range, plus ok on the side. I have tried the XPE optics on the XPG's, works ok, but the optic is 1/8" to 3/16" above the led. Not a problem, still works well.

help with the zip please
    Quote Originally Posted by riggsy
    I will going out to test tonight so will post results/beam shots later on

I am in the process of making an XP-G / Regina double as my helmet light but thought I would see what XP-Gs with XR-E ledil square optics works light..

let the tests begin
    Any update on the beamshots riggsy, xpg with xre optics that is?

Want to place an order with cutters soon

Homer
    If you want square, just use the CXP's.
    [SIZE=1]Need optics for DIY bike lights? [/SIZE][SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Beam will be a little wider possibly, but will still provide good punch, along the lines of the Regina. You shouldn't have any problem with fit or focus really.

MUFC - Champions!!!
    Jul 2008
    will be going out later on for a few shots as the XP-Gs I was waiting for never arrived so managed to get some off a mate

mtbr member
    I have tried a few xre/seoul/luxeon optics from the spares bin with an xpg and although some have been ok, they all seemed to lack the oompf I was expecting.

I think this is because the position of the led die is not at the "sweet spot" of the lens, better results may be achieved by hacking up the holders, but then its harder to fix it in place!

Try a few optics, you might get lucky!!!

mtbr member
    How much heat do 4 xpg's/xpe's put out driven at one amp?

mtbr member
    The data sheet's curve say that 1 amp give about 3.35 V. Then, the electric power is 3.35 x 1 x 4 = 13.4 W. The power of the produced light is about 1/10 to 1/5 of the electric power. (the travel from lumens to watts is long and hazardous...for me too. Take a look at : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photome..._versus_lumens)
    So the heat that your lamp must give to the air is about 12W.