mtbr member
    Nov 2006

xml sled style....my version

Well here is my version of Matt's sled design for the xml. Thanks for all the help, everyone! I used the larger 1.25" tubing just to make it easier. It definitely helped w/ having the ability to cut some grooves and have some room to work. I used a table saw, chop saw and hand files. I epoxied a nut inside the sled for the bolt from the cateye spacer to screw into. The Lflex is mounted on a separate wing that is thermally epoxied to the main sled. Thermal grease on the bottom of the sled before sliding it into the housing. I think I'll mount the xml star w/ thermal epoxy next time instead of two screws. I really botched up the Laura holder making room for the screw heads (some gorilla tape holding it together!). Plexiglas lens cover to protect from the elements. Ebay momentary switch, and trailtech plug/cable. I'm making another one for the wife. They'll be powered by some battery packs from all battery, plasti-dipped. I'm planning on using the helmet mount but have the option of the handlebars also. I took all the pics before sealing it up w/ silicone since it won't look as nice after! I've never added pics so hopefully they make it through.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails xml sled style....my version-xml-light-002.jpg  

xml sled style....my version-xml-light-003.jpg  

xml sled style....my version-xml-light-005.jpg  

xml sled style....my version-xml-light-012.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Good looking light.

mtbr member
    Very nice! I like the grooved outer, and the increased space you had inside.
    Thermal tape is a pleasure to work with for attaching boards and stars instead of using screws.

I like how you fit the L-flex on a sideways bracket, with the extra height you had.
    I'm hoping to see how a Laura RS fits in the 1" X 1/16 tubing for the next build.

I might also make a different 2-seater sled, an L-shaped base with a U from a piece of 3/4" square tubing on the front part of the L base. It would be a bit longer, but would hold the L-flex on the back of the U without all the fancy modification I did with the second mid-bracket in my build. The same screw could hold the sled base and U to the housing.

Once I get the 3/4" tubing I'll post some pics, as it's hard to describe.
    Last edited by Ofroad'bent; 03-19-2011 at 05:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Looks good! Which Cateye bracket did you use?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    It's a cateye 'spacer' that you'll find if you scroll down on this page, http://www.cateye.com/store/parts.php?cid=2_25
    It fits their their H-31 and H-32 handlebar brackets and their Helmet Mount. I have used it for awhile on my imitation Amoeba and really like the helmet bracket.

mtbr member
    Great build, btw. Neat job on the soldering and heat shrinking, and the fins are more elegant than my heat-sink solution. I think the extra 30g is well spent.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    cracking job there

Dirt Deviant
    Looking good there Andy.
    Everything looks really tidy.
    Any chance of getting a beamshot?
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    looks really good Andy, very professional. I'm more than a little bit humbled by how you and Ofroad'bent took my basic idea and ran with it (and embarrassed that I haven't done one of my own ).

I think the larger ID tubing is an excellent idea - it still looks tight, but the extra room over Ofroad'bent's should make a difference (plus of course the ability to make nice fins). 80g really isn't here or there for a helmet light either - my twin LED helmet light is 90+g and I don't notice it.

Oh, and good to see someone else use the cateye spacers - they're so cheap and easy to use that I don't see why more people don't use them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I am not sure I'll be able to provide beamshots due to my cameras and no manual settings. Any help w/ suggestions on how to take decent beamshots using either a Canon Powershot A520 or Powershot SD1000?
    Thanks for all the compliments and encouragement. I am totally indebted to all the Gurus of the newsgroup, however, I hold you all responsible for an addiction I have recently acquired.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    It's a real shame the cateye spacer is so difficult to get hold of in the UK! Any ideas how I can get hold of a couple? Cateye small parts only ship to the US, and the UK distributor doesn't have them.

removing nudity
    One of the forum members here sells them. I'll try and dig out some old emails if I can.

Really good service, fast shipping to Australia.

as I type I remember it was the guy that did the "alien eye" light. He has a website and I'm pretty sure you can get them there.

emu

removing nudity
    Too easy, my memory must be getting better

Original thread here
    website here
    Small parts and order page here

I drink corona and can be found at the upcoming Mont, shoot, you're in the UK and I'm betting won't be there

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Nice one emu26! I'm very impressed by your recollection ability - thanks for the links. Afraid I won't be at the event you refer to as I haven't invented a teleportation device yet. Must get on to that one.

Sorry to hijack your thread Andy13. I know exactly what you mean about the recently acquired addiction though, and thanks for sharing your build - it continues to give me good inspiration and ideas.