Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: XML Light Build

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

XML Light Build

Santa came early and delivered some XML T6 LEDs earlier this week so I'm going to start a new light build during the Christmas vacation.

Step 1 - make some MCPCBs and reflow solder the LEDs

Step 2 - modify a Regina reflector to fix the XML.

Step 3 - mount the Regina to the LED

Step 4 - Go outside and take beamshots to see how it works

First beamshot is of the setup I'm currently using. Triple XPG R5 1A with the cute-xp-ss 35mm optic. I really like the throw and even pattern this gives. It's really hard to get the same feel for the throw by looking at a beamshot as you do in real life.

Next is the narrow carclo 20mm triple with XPG R5s at 1A. Again it a little hard to see in the beamshot, but more flood and less throw. But still a pretty good setup especially as a bar light.

XML with Regina reflector at 3A. The picture make it look really floody, it doesn't seem quite that floody in real life. I'm actually really impressed. You have to keep in mind this is a single LED compared to triples. It seems to have just about as much throw as the 35mm triple and at the same time more flood than the 20mm triple. I can't wait to get it out on the trails to see how it performs.

And a magicshine picture for good measure. It's really completely out classed in this comparison.

I also played a little bit with 3 XMLs paired with the Cute-3-SS-XM. Wow, that setup is insanely bright. I didn't have a chance to get pictures of that yet.

Anyway, more to come as I decide which optic / number of LEDs to use for the build. If I decide to go with the 35mm triple I may just modify one of my existing housing. If I go with the single, I'll build a completely new housing. I may end up doing both.

mtbr member
    Thanks MM that is encouraging and a small light to boot .

thats one gut feeling I feel better about .

would like to see the triple xm with cute .

mtbr member
    MtbMacgyver, great stuff.

If you get a chance could you check the Vf of the XML please. It looks very promising and it looks like you got a nice tint too. Do you know what that tint bin is?

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Thanks for sharing - very interesting!

How did you modify the Regina? Just sand/etc off a part of the bottom, or did you have to make the hole bigger by drilling it out etc?

And if you have a Boom SS - I'd be really interested in seeing a beamshot with that as well

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by yetibetty
    MtbMacgyver, great stuff.

If you get a chance could you check the Vf of the XML please. It looks very promising and it looks like you got a nice tint too. Do you know what that tint bin is?
    I'll have to measure it at the LED. At the driver it was 3.3v at 3A after warmed up, but I have a long wire at the moment and I'm sure it's at least 0.1v lower at the LED, maybe more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Nice.........

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by langen
    Thanks for sharing - very interesting!

How did you modify the Regina? Just sand/etc off a part of the bottom, or did you have to make the hole bigger by drilling it out etc?

And if you have a Boom SS - I'd be really interested in seeing a beamshot with that as well
    I milled the back off to the level where the reflector normally rests on the XPG. That way it sits at the same level on the XML. If you look at the hole in Regina, it's not actually round. I had to drill it out to make it round.

I don't have a Boom at the moment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by odtexas
    Nice.........
    +1 Looking good!

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for those beamshots. I think that's what everyone has been waiting for.

I do believe that it is time to declare that the P7 and MC-E have now been replaced. Lower cost and more light, what's not to like about that.

mtbr member
    Triple cute? yeh me too i`ve got a couple of XR-E SS ......
    I cant see any difference
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XML Light Build-fullscreen-capture-19112010-164608.bmp.jpg  

...Scun.thorpe, UK

mtbr member
    HHH funny I was just looking at them now

there is a difference in the led cavity .

mtbr member
    hmmm! cheers troutie
    i`ve just checked the C10754_Cute-3-SS-XP-G
    guess what.... its the same piggin drawing too!!
    ...Scun.thorpe, UK

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb
    Thanks MM that is encouraging and a small light to boot .

thats one gut feeling I feel better about .

would like to see the triple xm with cute .
    Yeah, so far I'm encouraged with the results with the Regina. But, I think I'll have to get it out on the trails before I'll really know what I think. But, keep in mind my trails are very wooded and twisty and I don't needs lights with a ton of throw.

The cute-ss with the xml is a little floody. But 3000 lumens makes up a lot. I tend to think as the brightness increases having a wider beam angle is good. But I suspect some will want more throw.

As you guys have noticed, the xpe, xpg, and xml version of the cute triple appears to be the same optic. The xre version is different.

removing nudity
    Macgyver, Thanks for sharing so quickly.

It would appear in those pics that the modded Regina has better throw than the triple xpg but also a much wider beam. Given that I found my 20mm triple too wide to make a good helmet light I'm thinking the modded Regina will also be too wide.

I am currently waiting for some DX 32953 drop ins to use the reflectors and LEDs for some twin helmet lights. The wall beam shots put up by Bkruahnndon in this thread would have the DX reflectors with a considerably tighter beam and reportedly more throw than the Regina so I'm thinking this may be the better alternative.

Sadly I have nothing to test

Just noticed the price has dropped $2 on those drop ins since I ordered them early November

mtbr member
    ...Scun.thorpe, UK

mtbr member
    MMac, Great beam shots! Thanks a bunch. Can't see wait to see what the XM-L does with other modified reflectors. Really nice was having the different set-ups to compare to especially the MS. I don't think it will be too long before someone markets an XML version of the MS. Although I'm sure the soon-to-be-arriving XML torches will not be driven at 3A, they should still out class the former models and make great bike lights. Thanks again for the sneak peek at the XM-L.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 12-18-2010 at 06:42 PM.

removing nudity
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY HEY ITS HENDO
    It will be interesting to see how that middle reflector performs against the 32953. Please post up wall shots when they arrive.

As for leaving HK, was it posted on the 17th or actually left the post office on the 17th? BTW, I don't think they actually come from HK, I'm pretty sure it's mainland China. I reckon I'd have mine by now if it was HK Post.

On a side note, can I say curse the lot of you. I wasn't even going to look at the XM-L until I had seen a range of complete builds with a good comparison of beamshots against outputs I was familiar with. I'm already thinking of skipping the twin XPG I was waiting for those reflectors for and using the DX reflectors in a double XM-L with that spare hipflex I've had sitting in the parts box for over a year

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I measured the Vf of the XML at 3amp right at the emitter. 3.1 volts

I tried some different optics such as the LXP RS last night, but I didn't have time to take beam shots. I also tried a bunch of older optic / reflectors and some worked pretty well.

mtbr member
    MtbMacgyver,

I suppose that you are not running the XML for any length of time yet but do you have a feel for what the heat build-up is likely to be like driving it at 3A?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by OverTheHill
    MtbMacgyver,

I suppose that you are not running the XML for any length of time yet but do you have a feel for what the heat build-up is likely to be like driving it at 3A?
    You're right that I haven't been running them for an extended period of time yet, but I have been surprised that my test jig isn't even getting warm. I was expected more heat with it running at 3 amps.

Do It Yourself
    Looks great! I really like the warmer color too! When can we catch up for a ride?
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    More progress on my XML light build.

Here's my test jig for the cute-ss triple

The LEDs, MCPCBs and aluminum carrier with positioning holes for the optic

and the all important beam shot. It's obviously wider with the XML vs the XPG, but when you're dealing with 3000 lumens a little wide isn't a bad thing. Look at how much throw it still has. You can see the little trees in the distance better than with any of the other lights.

here's the same optic with XPG R5s from above. I'll put it here so you can see side by side.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    Looks great! I really like the warmer color too! When can we catch up for a ride?

Yeah, I have some fairly warm tints as well as some cooler tints. Still can't decide which I like better. Yeah, we need to hook up for a ride. I rode this morning while the trails were still frozen. The next few days will be a real mess with everything melting and not cold enough at night to freeze the ground.

Dirt Deviant
    Holy moly!!!!!!!
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast